Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dave Chappelle triggers the Woke Left..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Thoroughly enjoyed it. I remember on his last show he mentioned how he has "served his time" or something to that effect, he was out in the cold for over a decade so the shackles seem to be off since he's come back. He's clearly not too concerned about offending anyone, which makes for great comedy.

Yeah, that how he comes across live too.

There was a Q&A thing at the end of his gig at 3 Arena and he did some stuff on Kanye (and the whole MAGA hat thing) off the cuff and it was gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,147 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Michaels birthday today. I believe him.

The-best-top-desktop-michael-jackson-wallpapers-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 83,355 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I haven’t watched the aftershow but the main thing was good. It’s actually strange anyone wrote a story about the parts of this show they did, and lacking in context of the performance; he’s very upfront, eg. “I’m what’s known on the street as a victim blamer.” He’s torchlighting the controversy people want to brew by owning it upfront. Talks about a range of former ‘current events’ in a factual and comedically coherent way. Not too dissimilar really in theme from George Carlin’s later stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,434 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I watched it , its good 8/10 . Compared to some UK comedians like Jimmy Carr or Fankie Boyle I don’t think his Special was that outrageous and I would probably have laughed more at Richard Pryor or Chris Rock at their best. Its solid though and the fact that it has the po faced prudes up in arms adds something plus giving him more publicity so well done to him!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 19,330 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I swear to god there's just more and more people here who seem to base their entire world view on fringe American politics. Triggering the Lib-tards? The SJWS? The snowflakes? Cultural Marxism? It's nothing but a meaningless collection of buzzwords that you took from weird American websites and personalities.

It's incredible isn't it?

It's staggering to read posts on this site every day (and elsewhere), littered with these simple minded catchphrases being passed off as a political position or statement. Can the people who hinge their flimsy "arguments" on these catchphrases not hear how, frankly, stupid they sound?

In this case, with Chappelle, is just the nadir of this type of desperate flag waving. To try and pretend that there's some kind of "win" here is just pathetic. There's no other word for it.

Must be horrifying for some people on the right to find out that he's a Muslim and it wouldn't surprise me if Chappelle was, generally, a Democratic voter too. :pac:

Oh the horror.

• Advertisement

Would the Republican GOP or Conservative Engelicals have Dave over to speak? I think you don't know your the left from your the right.
    Who tried to ban rap? Hint: it was before the conservative right had drones using terms like 'woke' and 'SJW' as insults.

This isn't a 'the left' thing. Or do you think only white supremacists on the Alt-Right like Dave?

I keep having to say this again and again.

THERE IS NO LEFT IN AMERICAN POLITICS.

It's only flavours of right wing conservatism.

As far as banning music, I'm old enough to remember when Tipper Gore and the PMRC tried to get everything that the Dead Kennedys did banned and she and her hubby are, supposedly, Democrats.

But the Democrats aren't left wing. They're just a slight step away from the Republicans. The idea that they represent the left is laughable and only shows that what passes for politics in that ridiculous country is utterly lamentable.

The entire political system over there needs to be torn down. It's one of the biggest con jobs ever perpetrated on a nation's populace.

Jesus, people talk about being "woke". They're all fucking fast asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Tony EH wrote: »
    Must be horrifying for some people on the right to find out that he's a Muslim and it wouldn't surprise me if Chappelle was, generally, a Democratic voter too. :pac:

Yea, and you forgot to mention he's black :confused:

Honestly the discussion is about Dave Chappelle's show.

I don't think libtards - or anyone else - is triggered because the material is so safe even if it's presented as controversial.

Chappelle packages it as a response to cancellation culture and other (what many consider-whether you like the term or now) SJW tactics. Feigning offence. Digging out old tweets. Outrage culture. That's how he sold it to netflix, and that's what he's saying to his audience. "It's ok to laugh at jokes." Like many other people said before him, even those old English "racists"

Tony EH, you've reached a new level of super-wokeness. Where you take people who see what Chappelle is trying to do, take people who say "great, finally a pushback against these PC-culture bullies destroying people" and you attempt to subdivide it between respectable people like yourself who are tolerant of Muslims and democrat voters, as opposed to trump sycophants who use alt-right buzzwords and just don't "get it".

That's pathetic.

THERE IS NO LEFT IN AMERICAN POLITICS.

It's only flavours of right wing conservatism.

Maybe it's a US thing where Leftie/Commie has been used as an interchangeable slur. But we all know who people are referring to when they say "the Left" and "the Right" in terms of US politics. There's no need to be pedantic just because you don't like the usage.

antix80 wrote: »
    Tony EH, you've reached a new level of super-wokeness.

Don't be fucking ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Maybe it's a US thing where Leftie/Commie has been used as an interchangeable slur. But we all know who people are referring to when they say "the Left" and "the Right" in terms of US politics. There's no need to be pedantic just because you don't like the usage.

Afraid not. It's nothing more than a slur now for anyone that disagrees with you. It serves no purpose it doesn't even categorize people properly.

Only fools use it.

Fools , same with the word Woke.

• Advertisement

Don't be fucking ridiculous.

Super Woke Tony :D

Seriously take a look in the mirror. "Dave Chappelle is one of ours .. sneer sneer. People are using simple minded language and democrats aren't the left.. sneer sneer. " Get off your high horse and see how petty you're being.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

there is an element of truth about very little leftism in american politics, chomsky has been saying this for a long time now, him believing democrats really are what he calls 'moderate republicans'. sanders isnt even truly far left, he d be called a moderate lefty or center left if he was active in European politics, but because of the way american politics is, hes considered by many as being far left

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Seriously take a look in the mirror. "Dave Chappelle is one of ours .. sneer sneer. People are using simple minded language and democrats aren't the left.. sneer sneer. " Get off your high horse and see how petty you're being.

Well he's quite right, isn't he? When I can be bothered I myself, as a conservative Republican, am quite appalled at how right-wing politics has somehow become identified with buck-toothed rednecks, racists and assorted loo-lahs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,434 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

It's incredible isn't it?

It's staggering to read posts on this site every day (and elsewhere), littered with these simple minded catchphrases being passed off as a political position or statement. Can the people who hinge their flimsy "arguments" on these catchphrases not hear how, frankly, stupid they sound?

In this case, with Chappelle, is just the nadir of this type of desperate flag waving. To try and pretend that there's some kind of "win" here is just pathetic. There's no other word for it.

Oh the horror.

that seems to be on you that you should hate somebody because of their politics or religion. Take someone like Bill Maher , he gets equal amount of criticism and praise from both sides of the centre basically but he has demonstrated that he is intelligent and doesn’t bow to extremists

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I never mentioned David Chappelle as being one of anybody's.

My point, which delightfully flew over you head, is that it's stupid to claim some sort of political victory out of a comedian's routine.

I don't see why this has to be dumbed down for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

My point, which delightfully flew over you head, is that it's stupid to claim some sort of political victory out of a comedian's routine.

I don't why this has to be dumbed for you.

Seems this has to be dumbed down for alot of the Facebook generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Ifevera wiztherewas

Leftism was a great album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

kowloon wrote: »
    Is it though? This frequently comes up when people talk about US news only for it to be pointed out that the most popular mainstream news channel is Fox.
    If there's a huge demand from a section of the public someone will try and profit from it, provided it's legal (sometimes when it's not).

I’m pretty sure I read that their viewership is just 1-2% of the population. All cable news is tiny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Yea, and you forgot to mention he's black :confused:

Honestly the discussion is about Dave Chappelle's show.

I don't think libtards - or anyone else - is triggered because the material is so safe even if it's presented as controversial.

Chappelle packages it as a response to cancellation culture and other (what many consider-whether you like the term or now) SJW tactics. Feigning offence. Digging out old tweets. Outrage culture. That's how he sold it to netflix, and that's what he's saying to his audience. "It's ok to laugh at jokes." Like many other people said before him, even those old English "racists"

Tony EH, you've reached a new level of super-wokeness. Where you take people who see what Chappelle is trying to do, take people who say "great, finally a pushback against these PC-culture bullies destroying people" and you attempt to subdivide it between respectable people like yourself who are tolerant of Muslims and democrat voters, as opposed to trump sycophants who use alt-right buzzwords and just don't "get it".

That's pathetic.
    But the OP framed Chappelle's sketch in question as sticking it to the left. That's literally what the title is. It's pure nonsense.

And that dishonesty is what Tony is referring to.

People of all persuasions are going to be offended by it - it's not just something that only those politically to the left would find offensive. Absolutely beyond me why someone would think that. It's become as though the only people who get offended by anything is the left.

Equally, people of all political persuasions will find it hilarious.

The OP tried to make it about left versus right, which it isn't. In this context it makes perfect sense to mention how Chappelle is hardly someone out to win approval from the right (he seems pretty left of centre).

I’m pretty sure I read that their viewership is just 1-2% of the population. All cable news is tiny.

It is - Fox is the most watched cable news by a considerable margin, but even so the actual viewership figure is around 3.5m.

• Advertisement

I don't see why this has to be dumbed down for you.

Any point you were trying to make was lost in your hateful diatribe where you criticised people's language and managed to bring Chappelle's religion into it. Seriously -what is wrong with you?

And given that Chappelle's routine is so anti-PC, well, maybe you missed that the point that the group of people who use words like "woke" and "snowflake" have been making the same jokes like "trans-racial" that Chappelle passed off as his own.. you'll probably find Southpark did it back in 2005- Southpark have toned their material down an awful lot since then-probably for fear of getting boycotted/cancelled.

...hateful diatribe...

Really? This kind of nappy-wetting is what has us where we are.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    The OP tried to make it about left versus right, which it isn't. In this context it makes perfect sense to mention how Chappelle is hardly someone out to win approval from the right (he seems pretty left of centre).

Ah OK OK, I can actually see what you're saying that was lost among the vitriol of other posters.

But guess what.. if you know what the op means by "woke left".. it seems David Chappelle did indeed trigger them: the perma-outraged people who posted tweets condemning the routine, and the (ahem - almost afraid to speak in case I use the wrong word, but ) "left"-leaning media printing the stories reporting on said tweets.

It's outrage culture and like it or not it's associated with a certain group of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

listermint wrote: »
    Afraid not. It's nothing more than a slur now for anyone that disagrees with you. It serves no purpose it doesn't even categorize people properly.

Only fools use it.

Fools , same with the word Woke.

So using the term “left” is not useful and merely used by people who disagree with each other. If that were the case then we’d be calling everybody the left.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Really? This kind of nappy-wetting is what has us where we are.

I'm not using the words hateful or diatribe because I'm in anyway hurt or offended.

It's because that chap I was replying to for some reason went off on one because someone's definition of Left didn't agree to his Collin's dictionary definition, before segueing into a tiresome and boring rant with references to the guy's religion as something that would offend the bogeymen on the "other side" and ending with "oh the horror".. what's the difference between "oh the horror" and "triggered." Just two sides of the same problem involving petty individuals on their soapboxes.

I'm not using the words hateful or diatribe because I'm in anyway hurt or offended.

It's because that chap I was replying to for some reason went off on one because someone's definition of Left didn't agree to his Collin's dictionary definition, before segueing into a tiresome and boring rant with references to the guy's religion as something that would offend the bogeymen on the "other side" and ending with "oh the horror".. what's the difference between "oh the horror" and "triggered." Just two sides of the same problem involving petty individuals on their soapboxes.

Again, he's right - a black Muslim man is hardly any poster boy for what the American Right-wing has become recently. And "Oh the horror!" is nearly always said with tongue firmly wedged in cheek. :D

Any point you were trying to make was lost in your hateful diatribe where you criticised people's language and managed to bring Chappelle's religion into it. Seriously -what is wrong with you?

And given that Chappelle's routine is so anti-PC, well, maybe you missed that the point that the group of people who use words like "woke" and "snowflake" have been making the same jokes like "trans-racial" that Chappelle passed off as his own.. you'll probably find Southpark did it back in 2005- Southpark have toned their material down an awful lot since then-probably for fear of getting boycotted/cancelled.

Wow.

The point really did fly past you didn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The left is facisim, or facism is disguised as the left either way the left want total control of the media, history, pronouns etc. Basically I see the right as anyone who says less control, government butt out of my life.

The left is facisim, or facism is disguised as the left either way the left want total control of the media, history, pronouns etc. Basically I see the right as anyone who says less control, government butt out of my life.

Well, social, financial and political conservatism, but also with minimal State expense and interference, yes. May she yet return to us and supplant the loo-lahs. :pac:

• Advertisement

Wow.

The point really did fly past you didn't it.

Ah ok.. I see what's happened.

I read the op and took it as a discussion of a supposedly edgy routine as a response to outrage culture.

Other people (you included) read the op and took it as an invitation to moan about what the op meant by certain words.

And when I returned to the discussion I thought you couldn't see the similarities between Chappelle's response to outrage culture and the so-called "Alt-right"'s similar response.. and I thought you were being deliberately petty trying to put people down by poking holes in the language they were using. Which is a crappy way of trying to win an argument. But I was wrong, your discussion never went beyond poking holes in the language people were using.

So.. where do we go from there. How about "Tony EH, well done on winning the dictionary owner of the year award. you are best with all the language." However, it's not a discussion that interests me. Maybe start your own thread on modern-US political word usage you don't like? And maybe I'll start one on people who wanted to discuss Chappelle's recent netflix show?

Advertisement