Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dave Chappelle triggers the Woke Left..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Just to note it's very ironic how all these supposed anti-outrage threads pop up giving out about the giving out

And we don't see, 'Chappelle crossed the line and I'm outraged' thread or 'Fair play to your wan Greta getting in the boat' thread.

That's because that line of thought is being spouted all across news outlets and social media already. It's a reaction to what we are being told and is a place for people who disagree with the outrage to discuss.

It invariably attracts people like yourself who think it's witty to say "ooh your being outraged at outrage", when that's not the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Ironicname wrote: »
    That's because that line of thought is being spouted all across news outlets and social media already. It's a reaction to what we are being told and is a place for people who disagree with the outrage to discuss.

It invariably attracts people like yourself who think it's witty to say "ooh your being outraged at outrage", when that's not the case.

Did you get triggered? Apologies I hate that language.

My point stands. There's threads on complaining about complaining is there not and none from the other end? Or are you trying to bring the entire internet into the mix? I'm not Neo, I can't tell you what other sites are at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I'm not that familiar with Chappelle's work - maybe his other stuff is that of a 'genius' (as one poster on this thread referred to him), but I found that show quite underwhelming.

The Michael Jackson stuff reminded me a lot of a twenty-year-old routine Jerry Sadowitz did on Gary Glitter:

"You know, it really comes to something when Gary Glitter, the king of glam rock, one of the greatest rock stars this country has ever produced, can't fuck who he wants, where he wants, when he wants... We dont know know what happened, we weren't there."

I'm not saying that he copied Sadowitz (whose routine was far more graphic and genuinely shocking), just that he used the same style of bleakly absurd twisted logic for laughs. Nobody who's watched a lot of comedy would see anything new or original there.

The transphobic material was particularly lazy - the "I identify as..." comparison is the kind of thing you'd expect from some tiresome idiot on Boards. You'd think that a professional comedian who wants to attack trans people would find a more original and provocative angle, but nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Greta outrages me just by looking at her, reminds me of some evil kid from a movie. What an evil head on her.

God almighty. Listen to yourself.

I'm not that familiar with Chappelle's work - maybe his other stuff is that of a 'genius' (as one poster on this thread referred to him), but I found that show quite underwhelming.

The Michael Jackson stuff reminded me a lot of a twenty-year-old routine Jerry Sadowitz did on Gary Glitter:

"You know, it really comes to something when Gary Glitter, the king of glam rock, one of the greatest rock stars this country has ever produced, can't fuck who he wants, where he wants, when he wants... We dont know know what happened, we weren't there."

I'm not saying that he copied Sadowitz (whose routine was far more graphic and genuinely shocking), just that he used the same style of bleakly absurd twisted logic for laughs. Nobody who's watched a lot of comedy would see anything new or original there.

The transphobic material was particularly lazy - the "I identify as..." comparison is the kind of thing you'd expect from some tiresome idiot on Boards. You'd think that a professional comedian who wants to attack trans people would find a more original and provocative angle, but nope.

You were ok with the jokes about poor white heroin users I take it.

Personally I didn’t like the mike Jackson stuff myself. He was on firmer ground with Kevin Hart.

• Advertisement

You were ok with the jokes about poor white heroin users u take it.

I don't take it.

I don't take it.

I think you’re being a grammar spelling snob there, obviously I meant I take it.

I think you’re being a grammar spelling snob there, obviously I meant I take it.

That's between you and your dealer.

Alright, another moron on ignore.

Alright, another moron on ignore.

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Raconteuse wrote: »
    The classy insults of an autistic teenager continue.

I'm meant to like her in spite or because of it?

A Trojan horse from the left....the only carbon neutral way to cross the Atlantic is row on a boat made from driftwood.

A Trojan horse from the left....the only carbon neutral way to cross the Atlantic is row on a boat made from driftwood.

The anger she inspires among miserable right-wing men is quite something.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The anger she inspires among miserable right-wing men is quite something.

Isn't that what I said...a gift from the left....she should be in school. I think I'll pin up that picture of her in the antifa t-shirt and throw lumps of coal at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

He's still funny but he's desperately grasping at the occasional profundity that made him a great comedian as opposed to a good one. He's past it and just sounds like a quasi alt right buffoon - but still a funny one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Where did I say you're meant to like her? :confused:

I don't like her (or dislike her - I'm ambivalent to her) and I disagree with her being used as a puppet when she should indeed be in school. But there's no need for adults to jump on the bandwagon of insulting a teenager. They can think for themselves and express their view without resorting to the insults.

Not sure why we got onto Greta but these attacks are childish. And climate change is real.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Having the modern Left be outraged at one is hardly an achievement.

Like a Priest in the 50s screaming that one was going to go to hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Then Mother Theresa was one too in that case, geez.

Mother Theresa was a sociopathic demon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

This is the most important hour of stand-up in the last ten years. It is the first time in years that a global comedian has dared to joke about the new sacred cows. It is an amazing piece of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Dante7 wrote: »
    This is the most important hour of stand-up in the last ten years. It is the first time in years that a global comedian has dared to joke about the new sacred cows. It is an amazing piece of work.

I just watched it there - enjoyed it! Some great stuff. Have moved onto the Killin' Them Softly now, I forgot the Clinton stuff, so good!

Who are the sacred cows? Which joke exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

hetuzozaho wrote: »

I think you missed the sarcasm.

antix80 wrote: »
    I think you missed the sarcasm.

Help a buddy out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

I just watched it there - enjoyed it! Some great stuff. Have moved onto the Killin' Them Softly now, I forgot the Clinton stuff, so good!

The LGBTQ section. The reverse racism. The Michael Jackson paedophila material. We haven't had comedy like this recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

Raconteuse wrote: »
    They're not proven liars - you just have a bizarre inability to view Michael Jackson as possibly capable of wrongdoing.

The classy insults of an autistic teenager continue.

Well actually, the two lads have been proven to be telling fibs. There have been numerous things like depositions and what have you, released that punches holes in their stories. I also read there is some Jackson show in LV that one of the accusers begged to choreograph and when he was refused by Jackson's estate (whoever that is) that's when he suddenly came up with this accusation.

Chappelle and anyone else have every right to believe they are lying with the evidence on show. If a judge can say to them, "no trier of fact, in their capable mind, could believe your stories" last year, I'd estimate, on this occasion, that it's a money grab with them two.

And no, I'm not a defender of anything or anyone, just stating the facts of that particular matter

Anyways, Chappelle is great :cool:

Dante7 wrote: »
    The LGBTQ section. The reverse racism. The Michael Jackson paedophila material. We haven't had comedy like this recently.

Maybe I just watch different shows/comedians ha!
    Have you ever watched say.. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia?

MOR316 wrote: »
    Well actually, the two lads have been proven to be telling fibs. There have been numerous things like depositions and what have you, released that punches holes in their stories. I also read there is some Jackson show in LV that one of the accusers begged to choreograph and when he was refused, that's when he suddenly came up with this accusation.

Chappelle and anyone else have every right to believe they are lying with the evidence on show. If a judge can say to them, "no trier of fact, in their capable mind, could believe your stories" last year, I'd estimate, on this occasion, that it's a money grab with them two.

And no, I'm not a defender of anything or anyone, just stating the facts of that particular matter

I think we can all agree we wouldn't let our kids sleep in Michael's locked bedroom if he was still with us today :)

I think we can all agree we wouldn't let our kids sleep in Michael's locked bedroom if he was still with us today :)

Wouldn't let any of my kids sleep in anyone's bed. Enough stress as it is :D

All pure speculation on that front and I tend not to get involved with that. Could all have been perfectly innocent like the vast majority of them say. Might not have been

Who knows? One thing is for sure, none of us ever will so I'll leave it at that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Didn't like people laughing as soon as he mentioned Anthony Bourdains suicide, what was his point though, comparing Anthony Bourdains life to his friend? I didn't get that joke anyone one explain? I'm a big fan of Dave Chapelle by the way.

MOR316 wrote: »
    Wouldn't let any of my kids sleep in anyone's bed.

Exactly - its just wrong

• Advertisement

Exactly - its just wrong

I never said it wasn't. In fact, I said it was wrong.

What's your point?

Advertisement