Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rsa supporting e-scooters

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

There was a lad around Bray/Shankill on what was dressed up as a Trek DH MTB but had a huge pack in the triangle (and the rear supension appeared not to move) and he'd happily tip along at 60kmph. He will get caught one day as he keeps forgetting to at least faux pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

The GCN lads had this monstrosity on their Hack/bodge section a couple of weeks ago. Conor Dunne reckoned it was the most dangerous bike shaped object he'd ever clapped eyes on - the mind boggles!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

There's a handful of those electric dirt bikes around my way now. As if little scrotes going around recklessly at 25kph on scooters and folding bikes wasn't bad enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its farcical that we havent seen any updates to legislation since 2008. Get the goddamn finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

I noticed that Norway have decided to permit e-scooters to be used on footpaths.

I fear that we have left it for so long now and with e-scooter use on footpaths considered normal by many that this is what we are stuck with regardless of the laws that will eventually come.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Doesn't matter what laws are in, Road Traffic Legislation just isn't enforced.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

THIS!

Whats worse is most people are totally oblivious to certain stuff, they'll be outraged at seeing perhaps one scooter on a footpath in a day but they won't given a second thought to the thousands of cars they see daily that have driven on footpaths.

Infact many times I've pointed this out to people and had people comment that they never see cars driving on footpaths.

To which I point out that how did they think cars parked on footpath got into place...teleport?!? They drove on the footpath and basically nobody cares.

That's the hover cars.

The issue is going to be that PPT's are out there, and whether the legislation actually captures current tech/ standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They can only work on legislative programme agreed for a Dail session and we've had a year or two of other distractions. You would expect to see some movement in the next or more likely the post-Christmas Dail session. There's quite a bit to address especially around safety regulation if their usage explodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

It recalls for me a thing ridden by someone around Mulranny I saw a few years ago, except more neatly done with a 2T engine. He a bearded man who had been away for a while. When asked by someone in a shop if he had tax, insurance or helmet, he was MYOB, and f---- --, which to some degree is fair enough. It obviously wasn't an e-scooter but those engined bicycles are close cousins. It certainly proceeded at a fair clip, easily keeping with cars on the national road.

As a few have pointed out, it barely matters what the law says. I will say with cars on footpath is that there are some places where parking (cycling isn't that safe, but has to be done) can be dangerous to impossible (Sundrive Rd) and frankly I wouldn't risk my life to be a Rule of the Road holy joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,653 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Looks like e-bikes & e-scooters capable of speeds up to 25kph are approved for use on roads in Ireland. They are to be treated like cyclists, so obviously no motorway riding.

Obviously the correct & predictable decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

When will legislation pass? I've my scooter in the attic for over 2 years now waiting for it to pass.

I'm sorry, I just heard it on the radio on Newstalk, I didn't really listen until I realised a decision had been made. Keep an eye on the news and e-bike/e-scooter sellers feeds.

To be honest. I'd be dusting it off anyway, particularly if it means not burning fuel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Kinda, but I would think the classification "PPT" will include more than scooters. It at least should be anything that isn't pedal assist (so the fido type "bikes")

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That's a fair way away as it's just a bill and has only completed stage 3. They are at the tweaking stage and there is lots of committee work to do on it. It's not urgent so it would be a surprise to see it as law before the summer session of 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭traco

The guy from zip (I think) that was being interviewed implied that helmets and high vis were legal requirement for bicycles by making a direct comparision to seatbelts. That Times article isn't great either, saying ebikes capable of more than 25kph will not be permitted in pesdestrian zones and cycle paths - so does that mean those under 25 kph are allowed in pedestrian zones. We really do have some crap levels of research by journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,129 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I have an e-bike that only goes to 25 and would love a few more kms on that, it's great but I don't think 30 would make much a difference safety wise so a bit disappointed they're capping it at 25

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd say it's partly due to them wanting to sync with european regulations; which cap the assistance at 25km/h for pedelecs.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I was wondering about the helmet and hi-viz thing, bizarre for someone to think that these were a legal requirements to cycle to the shops!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I dont think you needed to be that careful with the amount of them on the roads these days, havent heard of any seizures in years now. The bike shed at work is overflowing with them.

You can do what you like tbh, they'll never check unless you're completely taking the p1ss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

25 is actually pretty dangerous when it's someone driving around on a footpath or zipping around illegally through public roads. I wouldn't fancy 70-80kg hitting me at that speed.

I can cycle at 30kph all day long but I'm not doing those speeds on a narrow footpath near people and if there's a turn coming up or a hazard I'll stop pedaling and slow down or even just get tired after a while. The young lads on scooters and Fido bikes aren't easing off the throttle from what I normally see, they just blast through anything without any consideration.

Also take into consideration you have to want to cycle when commuting so numbers were never high. Scooters/Fido bikes are appealing to a much wider audience because they don't have to do any work. There's a lot more people out there without any clue of road safety...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I heard of Gardai in Kilkenny taking one a few months back, it was on their facebook page, but to be fair they only did that because the fool failed to stop at a stop sign right infront of them 😁

I only caught the end of it, but the NCBI seemed to be pushing for over 16's only and provisional licences for scooters even under 25kph last night on Drivetime Radio 1. We're in a strange place when it's Conor Faulkner as the guest proponent arguing against it as it would discourage use!

That's conflating illegal use and legal use though. the proposed law is not suggesting that they be allowed to be used on footpaths AFAIK - it's basically treating 'legal' scooters the same as bicycles.

What a crazy upside down world we now live in!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Is there power limits for these ebikes. I know they have to be limited to 25klm/h on peddle assist but is there any limit on the motor power. I ask this as I know a 250watt motor is not powerful enough for steep hills or for over-weight riders. If there is a limit as such then I think it is totally unfair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Schorpio

The 250w figure applies to all road legal ebikes - but it's a nominal limit. The instantaneous peak power output can be a lot more. There is no limit on torque, so the torque output figures are a better way to gauge the real-world assistance level of a motor.

Motor manufacturers seem cagey about reporting peak power outputs as it seems like it's a bit of a grey area (interpretation of the law vs. the spirit of the law kind of thing).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

There are two classes of ebike under EU regs. 250w which is a basic road legal ebike, and the speed pedelecs which are capable of speeds over 25kph.(need insurance tax etc)

Now there is a catch, what is a 250w motor? many manufacturers fit what is nominally a 250w motor but in reality is far more and they quote torque figures now which is a better indicator of ability than simple wattage.

Another factor is the type of drive, there are three main methods, rear hub motor, front hub motor and mid drive, the mid drive actually works through the bottom bracket and as such can be used with the gears and this allows better performance on hills and for fat people.

I rented a Peugeot Balad ebike in France this year and it was a pretty basic 250w road legal rear hub motor, it was able to haul me round quite easily and I am north of 100kg so depending on the actual manufacturer they are more than enough for most usage imho.

Advertisement