Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rsa supporting e-scooters

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The number of the Xaomi ones on my commute have increased immensely since the schools and colleges returns. Jebus they are slow. Tiny wheels really seem to struggle with the most minor of deflections. There is a guy on my commute who has used the single wheel balance thing and he leaves them for dust and takes the bumps with ease, wheel looks about 24'. The larger wheel kids scooters with no motor look quicker, and easier. The small wheel powered ones look like your calves would be dying afterwards with the shock absorbance.

Anyway, long story short, so long as they are not on a pavement and being d1cks to pedestrians (and have brakes), I really don't care.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

CramCycle wrote: »
    There is a guy on my commute who has used the single wheel balance
    is that the one that looks almost like a unicycle segway with no 'handlebars'?
    have seen on on east wall road a couple of times.
    i'm curious how you mount it without taking a pratfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Speaking of Segways, it looks as if they were right about the latent demand for a single-occupancy vehicle with an electric motor with a travelling speed between a pedestrian and a car, but wrong about that demand being met by an over-engineered and expensive mobile church lectern.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I honestly don't know. I presume it takes practice but he never gets off at lights, just balances on it, calves and knees of steel I imagine. The only thing that unnerves me is he has his hands in his pockets the whole time but he comfortably holds north of 20kmph on the uphill. He looks more steady and comfy than most escooter riders. I imagine it is like riding a track bike with no brakes, you have to be very aware of the possibilities at every junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I honestly don't know. I presume it takes practice but he never gets off at lights, just balances on it, calves and knees of steel I imagine. The only thing that unnerves me is he has his hands in his pockets the whole time but he comfortably holds north of 20kmph on the uphill. He looks more steady and comfy than most escooter riders. I imagine it is like riding a track bike with no brakes, you have to be very aware of the possibilities at every junction.

Yeah, you'd think the hands would be out to the sides in a dynamic fashion, like the Silver Surfer or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭plodder

Speeds of up to 80 km/h sounds like ridiculous excuse making. I'm sure you can find e-bikes that go that fast, but the reason we have regulations (25 km/h 250W etc) is to manage that. Most e-scooters I've seen recently are barely doing 10-15km/h

I've also seen that single wheel balance device as well in the Clontarf area. Very cool looking, but I'd question its ability to stop in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

TheChizler wrote: »
    Maybe he was only going walking pace on the sections with people walking? I've used them in the past and tried pushing them in places, you end up with cut ankles as any slight forward resistance causes the back wheel to lift and the whole thing pivots.

The pavement is for pedestrians. Anyone on an Escooter should use the road like all the other powered vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I've often wondered what happens, if you hit a pot hole or have to jam on the brakes on an Escooter, while travelling at 25/30kph.

Taxi pulled out of a parking space last night in front of drumcondra arts centre , red light, scooter guy dressed in black with no light and rain pelting down.......he hit the brakes well in advance and they didn't do much. He ended up hitting taxi .

For once i took a taxis side. Scooter guy obviously going to fly through the red light.

Useless brakes for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    The pavement is for pedestrians. Anyone on an Escooter should use the road like all the other powered vehicles.
    Sure (I don't actually care as long as they're not being a danger) but the point I was making was why they might have been going walking pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

you can see them starting up about 50sec in.

Crazy promo video considering they are illegal, I love it at the end when all 3 break an amber light for pedestrians, one of them a kid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭blackwhite

That sounds suspiciously like the guy I see most days heading from Clonskeagh up towards Sandyford.

rubadub wrote: »

Crazy promo video considering they are illegal, I love it at the end when all 3 break an amber light for pedestrians, one of them a kid.

And the first thing they show - blocking people getting off the Luas whilst the rider mounts it

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Another from them here showing a commute on the N11. Starts off in Kilbogget park, then goes the wrong way on a cycle lane for a bit

At the 11min mark you can see him easily going up a slope after foxrock church which many cyclists struggle on, many would be out of the saddle. He passes a cyclist by going onto the footpath, and does it again with ease later.

He is on the foothpaths in sandyford ind estate. 24mins is a pretty good time.

Think this is the start & stop and the route it roughly correct, google have it as a 1hr 22min walk.
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/53.2767548,-6.2156298/53.2535061,-6.1429347/@53.2700753,-6.1929037,6639m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m9!4m8!1m5!3m4!1m2!1d-6.2113783!2d53.2758483!3s0x4867090899c29f93:0xf7c66fce9306f445!1m0!3e2

• Registered Users Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭ted1

rubadub wrote: »

27 seconds in, looks like he is about to mow down pedestrians

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

blackwhite wrote: »
    That sounds suspiciously like the guy I see most days heading from Clonskeagh up towards Sandyford.
    Yep, sounds familiar to me too. If it's the same lad I see, he has a full on motorbike helmet.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Yep, sounds familiar to me too. If it's the same lad I see, he has a full on motorbike helmet.

That's the one

Emergency brake tests in Denmark. I wonder if the bigger wheel makes them more practical than scooters with their tiny wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭ted1

plodder wrote: »
    Emergency brake tests in Denmark. I wonder if the bigger wheel makes them more practical than scooters with their tiny wheels.

They use different riders. Of course the 4 stone 6 year old is going to stop faster than the 14 stone man.

ted1 wrote: »
    They use different riders. Of course the 4 stone 6 year old is going to stop faster than the 14 stone man.
    Yeah, it's not a great video, and can't say I'm convinced yet they are safe. But, I wonder about what you say there. A heavier person needs more force to stop, but they can also resist the torque from the braking more. So, it feels like one of those things that ought to balance out (ha). Could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

That thing just looks embarrassing, Look like a clown riding that one wheeled thing down the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

And then there's these things
    https://www.cyclebike.ie/drift-w1-electric-skates.html

Bizarre looking yokes altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

kenmc wrote: »

FFS, they're like something you'd see on Back to the Future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Looks like something "The wheelers" might like to upgrade to in return to Oz.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

What the.......

What????!!!!!

That video is hilariously tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

This is laughable: https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/escooter-users-facing-2500-fine-for-speeding-38595458.html
    The Fianna Fáil bill is to amend the Road Traffic Act to regulate for the use of electric scooters and provide for their safe use on the roads.

Under its terms, all e-scooters would be required to be fitted with a speed limitation device which restricts it to 25kmh or less. It would be an offence to remove or tamper with the device.

There would also be a 25kmh speed limit for e-scooters on the roads. Users found exceeding this speed would get a €1,000 fine for a first offence. Repeat offenders would face a fine of €2,500 for a second or subsequent offence.

Yep, a €1,000 speeding fine for doing 26kph. I don't think there's even an official speed limit in Ireland where a car driver can be fined anything at that speed. And if you're doing 50kph in a 30 zone? Well that's €80 and some penalty points that expire after a few years. Ridiculous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

from what i've seen on twitter, that's a journalist who doesn't know his ass from his elbow. the fine would be for illegally modifying the scooter to be able to exceed 25km/h, not for the actual speeding offence.
    there are similar fines for modifying cars illegally, the tweet i saw claimed.

from what i've seen on twitter, that's a journalist who doesn't know his ass from his elbow. the fine would be for illegally modifying the scooter to be able to exceed 25km/h, not for the actual speeding offence.
    there are similar fines for modifying cars illegally, the tweet i saw claimed.

DON'T TELL ME WHAT NOT TO BE OUTRAGED ABOUT

srsly though, what was I thinking reading an Independent article and believing it?

or else, believing what some randomer called 'magicbastarder' told you on some mickey mouse forum, over the word of a respected journalist whose job it is to tell the truth?

• Advertisement

anyway, i would suspect that people with chipped e-bikes might be starting to worry now.

Advertisement