Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI won't let me lodge my rent.

Options
  • 28-08-2019 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭

I don't have a BOI account but my landlords account is with you.
    For the last three years I've been lodging my rent into my landlords account.
    I was originally paying it using a lodgement book at the counter but approximately a year ago I was directed to use the machine outside. I had to press a button, enter landlords and my details and then lodge the cash.
    However the button disappeared about a month ago and when I queried this I was told that this option had been discontinued and in future I would have to start paying at the counter again using a lodgement slip provided by the teller.
    Although a little inconvenient due to opening hours etc, I've been doing this for the last few weeks. However when I went to pay this week the teller refused to accept my payment or give me a lodgement slip. She said I needed an account myself in order to pay the landlord.
    As I say, the landlords account is with BOI and I just need to pay the rent into it as normal so I can't see what the problem is with this?
    Can you help sort out the confusion over this as I don't want landlord thinking I'm avoiding paying him.
    Thanks for your help.

Comments

https://www.bankofireland.com/help-centre/faq/can-lodge-cash-another-persons-bank-ireland-account/
    I think they are trying to get rid of (relatively) anonymous cash lodgements.
    Could you do it online?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Could you set up a standing order from your own bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Thing is I don't have a bank account. I withdraw the cash from my Credit Union to pay it.

Thing is I don't have a bank account. I withdraw the cash from my Credit Union to pay it.
    You can transfer via the credit union online.
    At least you can with my CU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Aisling

I don't have a BOI account but my landlords account is with you.
    For the last three years I've been lodging my rent into my landlords account.
    I was originally paying it using a lodgement book at the counter but approximately a year ago I was directed to use the machine outside. I had to press a button, enter landlords and my details and then lodge the cash.
    However the button disappeared about a month ago and when I queried this I was told that this option had been discontinued and in future I would have to start paying at the counter again using a lodgement slip provided by the teller.
    Although a little inconvenient due to opening hours etc, I've been doing this for the last few weeks. However when I went to pay this week the teller refused to accept my payment or give me a lodgement slip. She said I needed an account myself in order to pay the landlord.
    As I say, the landlords account is with BOI and I just need to pay the rent into it as normal so I can't see what the problem is with this?
    Can you help sort out the confusion over this as I don't want landlord thinking I'm avoiding paying him.
    Thanks for your help.
    Hi There,

Thanks for getting in touch with your query.

The options that are now available to make a cash lodgement can be seen here.

If you do not hold a BOI or AIB card you can make an online transfer in to the account from another bank or as mentioned above you could also set up a standing order for these regular payments. As you mentioned you have a credit union account it might be best to link in with them directly to see if they can offer that facility to you.

We hope the information helps.

Thanks, Aisling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement