Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build me a PC worthy of Mordor

Options
  • 28-08-2019 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I need a Beefy PC for my lab (UK). Biologist, but I have been getting into coding/Bioinformatics using R, bash, Python. Seriously being slowed down by computing power. I don't have the budget for Xeon/Quadro prebuilt with buffered ram.

Surely I can build a AMD-based machine which will allow me to do most of what I want for way cheaper.

RAM hungry, my 32 GB Mac gets constant memory crashes in R. 64 GB machines have not thrown up any issues, yet.. It would be nice to have 128, but that requires a change to the more expensive X399 and threadpripper.

Some CPU steps take hours on my i5 2017 MAC. So looking for a CPU upgrade. Slow steps are single-threaded but Lots of parallelisation happening in the field though.

Not sure about a GPU. I have yet to see an absolute need for machine learning per say but it's beginning to be adopted (even though its black box bull**** you can't repeat). The Radeon VII would be the best option here? No way I'm getting a 2K+ Quadro.

I'm going to try and see if I could put it together on part picker but I know nothing about the X399 platform so unsure about power requirements etc.

Would need 2 TB SSD + 3 TB HDD

Interested in the price/RAM tradeoff between:

X570/3900X with 64 GB RAM OR 2920X X399 with 128 GB RAM

1. What is your budget? Not sure but maybe 2000 Queens pounds

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Bioinformatics, data analysis, in R, bash and photon in that order, potential machine learning, RAM-intensive, CPU somewhat intensive, mostly serialised but some parallel computing

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Linux primarily, but I can get windows from the university if I need

4. Can you use any parts from an old pc. All new

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes, 2K/4K standard widescreen 27-32 inch

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Mouse, keyboard nothing too fancy

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No, stability required. Cannot have crashes if I run something overnight or longer

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]. SCAN.co.uk is preferred as I can invoice them

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]. Next few weeks

Comments

Advertisement