Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭enricoh

These lads are now operating in the 3 sisters region for the tillage season- fully insured by Buddha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s90xlJqTWOg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

What is a decent fert spreader with 1 bag capacity (at least) and hydraulic shut-off? Will also want one with a decent calibration system.

Our old Vicon wagtail is at its end of life. Not sure whether to fix it up or replace and was wondering what would it take to replace it? It's only used for spreading for silage as we have cut down usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭White Clover

Has anyone priced any mowers lately? Plain disc eight or 9 feet cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Conditioner on that? Massive money saw an add on Donedeal for plain Kuhn mowers that are priced very right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭hopeso

That thought had entered my mind but I'd be inclined to think its VAT inclusive. If it was plus VAT, it would put the 10ft dearer than Mr Stonewalls quote for a Krone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Grueller

Not one thing wrong with end pivot up as far as 9' in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 international xl

Have one of those 9ft end pivot gmd the new version trade in a 2017 version new model travels better if your mowing silage that does not build up in front of bed in transport it falls over to left so you can see what’s behind you and it will fold down no trouble if on on in even ground the chrome on all Kuhn is too light only negative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭stanflt

Those prices are plus vat

Are you sure? That would put a 10ft Kuhn end pivot over a grand more expensive than a Krone centre lift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭stanflt

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Downtown123

I sincerely doubt it tbh. The price of machinery is high because they can charge high prices. A lot of farmers and contractors need new machinery. Dealerships then have to give good trade in values to make sure they’re competitive. Hence high second hand values. Very few people are trading up for the craic of it. That said I could well be eating my words in the next 6 months.

That said i saw a t6080 on done deal drop from €39k to €36k+ vat in the space of two weeks. It’s still there anyway atm.

I see a Case IH dealership in mayo at the weekend saying a tractor they got in (with no particularly special spec) had a 12 month wait At that rate there’s no infective whatsoever to drop prices, especially as they fear a recession and a cash reserve is no harm. Prices rarely if ever come back for machinery, only temporarily stagnate

He can’t stop buying cause he has to buy. A new set of tyres is probably over €5k. A full service is probably €1k if you were to go through a fairly fresh tractor to leave it ready for silage. Then you have the fact that he’s probably getting what he paid for his tractor when he trades in so his repayment is much the same even with a new vehicle. The warranty then on top of it. If he had to hire a tractor during busy season while a breakdown occurs he’s probably looking at €200/day plus the breakdown costs. Finance is dear but it’s easy got. If you provide a good service you can easily add €10/acre on each year which over 1500 acres is €15k which could cover most of the extra interest. Not saying it’s right but anyone waiting for prices to come back May as we’ll be throwing stones at the moon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Prices rarely if ever come back for machinery, only temporarily stagnate

Exactly, machinery never gets cheaper.

Not saying it’s right but anyone waiting for prices to come back May as we’ll be throwing stones at the moon.

It amuses me that some folk who can't afford machinery at the present time, honestly belive machinery will become more affordable if things go tits up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭DBK1

When it comes to farmers, contractors, agri machinery and money, the rules of economics don’t exist! The machinery will always be bought.

@FintanMcluskey and @Downtown123 are 100% correct, machinery isn’t getting cheaper any time soon, and probably never.

I collected a new rake last week, had the deal done for it a few months back. The dealership had ordered double the amount of rakes they normally sell for this season, at the time the salesman was a bit worried they’d be under pressure to shift them as the year went on, especially after they went up nearly 20% on last years price. When I was there last week he told me they were all sold and if they had 4 or 5 more they’d have sold them too.

There’s still waiting times for a lot of machinery, manufacturers can’t keep production up to meet demand, why would they drop prices in that scenario?

If you have something you need, or want, to buy then go on and get it if you’ve the money. Otherwise you’ll be kicking yourself this time next year when it’s probably 10-15% more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Grueller

I'll tell you who. A very good friend of mine is a salesman for a NH main dealer in the South East. Over 70% of tractors he sold for the last 5 years were bought by........ farmers with off farm income paying high rate tax. That's who will buy. Pay for a tractor at say €10k per yr or drive scrap and give revenue €5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 international xl

Gave 50000 for a 2008 newholland today it has 8500 hrs if prices rise or fall i still be keeping the tractor for at least ten years i only had one tractor and was worn out from doing multiply jobs last new tractor i bought was 2007 and that has 11000 hrs that needs clutch packs seals for lift and power steering pump seal to be honest it just cost more to do any thing today and so that causes and uplift even in scrap values.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Cant see the price of machinery ever coming back to be honest.Order a new tractor back in December and was told by the garage if I ordered today it would be 8% more..I'd be planning on changing a tractor every 5 years for a new or x hire/demo machine as let stuff get old and worn is just too exspencive nowadays

Best of luck with the new bus. What did you go for in the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭DBK1

I don’t know what your experience of either machinery or finance is but all I can say is I’m envious of your innocence.

There’s 4 items between tractors and machinery being repaid on finance in this yard, all started in the past 3 years and none of them are at 0%.

0% finance was not as commonly available as someone has codded you into thinking and even if it was and is now gone it doesn’t have as big an effect on purchase decisions as you’re led to believe.

The farmer in the high tax bracket due to off farm income that changes a tractor every few years rather than paying tax will always have a fresh tractor to trade in so may be only putting €15-€20k along with his trade in to come up to the new one. If he has to pay interest on the finance, that’s if he’s in the minority that actually need to use finance to trade, the interest is only on the €15-€20k and will amount to a few hundred on each payment. He’ll save half of it in his tax bill so the extra cost will be very little and won’t influence his decision.

Contractors have to keep machinery fresh to stay in the game and keep ahead of what seems to be an ever shrinking weather window every year to get work done. They also keep changing for bigger higher output machinery as getting drivers is a problem so they need to get more out of the drivers they have by increasing output with more efficient machinery. This means they’ll still be buying regardless of interest on finance.

The moral of the story is, as has been told to you by numerous posters with experience, machinery isn’t getting any cheaper any time soon.

Post edited by DBK1 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Class telehandler here priced last September was coming in at 105k plus the vat , trade in I had covered the vat part, repayments on the 105k where 1650 a month over 7 years, originally the salesman made a cock up and gave us a figure of 1650 a month over 5 years, quote was in writing in a WhatsApp, had the deal done when the proper documentation came, knew he was bulling anyways as the 1650 a month didn't even add up to 105k over the 5 years at 0% interest, but their wasn't anyway I could justify the extra two years given the estimated value of that particular machine by the time she would be paid for, and traded in I would of built up no equity to go and roll her over

Interest on the deal was over 33k, and ecb rates have rocketed since then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Parent companies like cnh/class/agco will subsidise inflated trade in prices in order to shift new gear, class would be a good example re what their dealers pay for traded in harvesters and combines to get a new one sold, if they leave the second-hand market prices to the free market and they crash, their new sales will dry up over-night, a good 200hp main brand tractor at 150k plus the vat with a 5000 hour 5 year old tractor been traded in with 75k plus the vat been given is manageable, for customers, if they only allow say 50k plus the vat and still want their 150k for the new one their sales will collapse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

At a guess around €35k .

They aren't desirable 2nd hand.

My guess would be closer to €40k. Those lads wouldn’t be over cheap anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Correct they not cheap, but they shifting some amount of gear

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

Lack of tractor dealers in Kerry and a good service means they can often charge a hefty premium which is often times offset by good trade in values tbf

Advertisement