Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Fuk me a split milli second earlier and the last thing to go through that drivers mind would of been his arse:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭jaymla627

I reckon tractor driver mighten get away scot free with that one, obviously the accord driver was in the wrong but he was at the van before tractor turned so he didnt check his mirrors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Yip, that could well end up being 60/40. Although the lad in the Honda was travelling too fast and with a bit of driver awareness should have noticed traffic in front slowing down which would have been an indication of something happening up ahead. Tractor driver might not have noticed him in the spot when he went to start his turn in due to the speed he was going.
    Can't see if the tractor had indicator on and unfortunately for him those directly behind scarpered ASAP from the scene of the accident.

Fuk me a split milli second earlier and the last thing to go through that drivers mind would of been his arse:eek:

Stupid c*nt is lucky not to be decapitated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Ya couldn't get over how quick those cars disappeared that were up with the action

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

How the pto shaft survived that and the Honda looks like a write off is what I cant understand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭mayota

Tractor indicator still flashing after.

Lorry driver knew what was going to happen @00:28 before the car had even overtaken him. Can hear him blaring the horn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    How the pto shaft survived that and the Honda looks like a write off is what I cant understand!

Is that a taarup mower did the fold up stand do most of the damage to the car .
    Great advertisement for them if the culprit was the fold up stand an looks straight enough afterwards too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Yip, that could well end up being 60/40. Although the lad in the Honda was travelling too fast and with a bit of driver awareness should have noticed traffic in front slowing down which would have been an indication of something happening up ahead. Tractor driver might not have noticed him in the spot when he went to start his turn in due to the speed he was going.
    Can't see if the tractor had indicator on and unfortunately for him those directly behind scarpered ASAP from the scene of the accident.

You can't go and pass out five vehicles in a row no matter how clear the road looks.
    We've all done two vehicles in front but five is dangerous driving. Not to mention what speed they were travelling at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

You can't go and pass out five vehicles in a row no matter how clear the road looks.
    We've all done two vehicles in front but five is dangerous driving. Not to mention what speed they were travelling at.

All tractor driver needs is an indicator vaguelly working and the dashcam footage says the rest.

That's not how the law works unfortunately. The driver of the tractor pulled across the road when the car was in the process of overtaking - despite the speed or how many cars the Honda was overtaking - so it was an unsafe action. The law is clear in that you cannot turn across a lane if it is unsafe to do so. You have to be aware of the possibility of being overtaken and/or another driver doing something stupid.
    Just because you have your indicator on it does not give you the right of way.

The speed of the car driver and how far back he came from will be a factor, but also a factor is that the road was straight and if the tractor driver looked fully in the mirror he may well have seen the car coming. Also were their lights on the mower?, no beacons on the tractor. The car drivers insurance company will probably be pushing those factors from their side (as well as high premiums on their driver).

I hope that nothing happens to the tractor about this, but lets not pretend otherwise just because it is another farmer.

And as for a vaguely working indicator, nope. You have to be road legal yourself. Just because one person goes to sh1t, doesn't mean the bar drops for everyone else in the collision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

That's not how the law works unfortunately. The driver of the tractor pulled across the road when the car was in the process of overtaking - despite the speed or how many cars the Honda was overtaking - so it was an unsafe action. The law is clear in that you cannot turn across a lane if it is unsafe to do so. You have to be aware of the possibility of being overtaken and/or another driver doing something stupid.
    Just because you have your indicator on it does not give you the right of way.

The speed of the car driver and how far back he came from will be a factor, but also a factor is that the road was straight and if the tractor driver looked fully in the mirror he may well have seen the car coming. Also were their lights on the mower?, no beacons on the tractor. The car drivers insurance company will probably be pushing those factors from their side (as well as high premiums on their driver).

I hope that nothing happens to the tractor about this, but lets not pretend otherwise just because it is another farmer.

And as for a vaguely working indicator, nope. You have to be road legal yourself. Just because one person goes to sh1t, doesn't mean the bar drops for everyone else in the collision.

Beacons were on and working... thats pretty clear to see in video

Fair enough on that - imagery is a bit blocky on my pc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

it suits the insurance companies to split the blame. 2 people loose NCB = more premiums:mad:

ganmo wrote: »
    it suits the insurance companies to split the blame. 2 people loose NCB = more premiums:mad:
    Yip, that's the game they play. I know of this type of accident happening to at least two people and in those instances the person turning right was majority in blame.
    There were two factors here:
    1. Car driver performing a dangerous overtake
    2. Tractor turning across an overtaking vehicle

Neither one in itself would cause the collision without the other one happening.
    It suits both insurance companies to split blame, although as I initially said the car driver will more than likely shoulder majority of blame as he gave tractor driver less time to react.

Your man never even braked,no skid mark,not particularly sunny/blinding weather,and a mile of room to get back in lane,in front of truck

Wtf do some lads be at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

If any blame is put on the tractor driver then there should be uproar. I can guarantee you that the driver looked back and it was clear then concentrated in getting the swing right to get the mower in the gap. That car was on him in seconds. Driver cant be watching 360° around him 100% of the time. It's not possible while driving machinery. There is too much to be watching. Completely different than just tipping along in your car on the daily commute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Reggie. wrote: »
    If any blame is put on the tractor driver then there should be uproar. I can guarantee you that the driver looked back and it was clear then concentrated in getting the swing right to get the mower in the gap. That car was on him in seconds. Driver cant be watching 360° around him 100% of the time. It's not possible while driving machinery. There is too much to be watching. Completely different than just tipping along in your car on the daily commute.

Unfortunately the same could be said of most accidents ... You cant look 360degrees ,but it's not really an excuse to say I checked a second ago ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Would the fact that he doesn’t have original wheels on the car give him trouble with the insurance ? , I remember my old Subaru days any mod had to be declared,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

If the tractor had been a mother and her children in a car turning into their driveway and this lad ploughed into them I dont think anyone would be saying it was anything other than reckless on his part. I'd say we've all done things on the road in our youth we look back and say what were we thinking, so hopefully this lad realizes he got off lightly to just walk away from that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Your man never even braked,no skid mark,not particularly sunny/blinding weather,and a mile of room to get back in lane,in front of truck

Wtf do some lads be at

better-to-be-late-than-be-dead-on-time

Tractor was off the road in the field gateway by the time of the accident.
    Your man in the car had ample time to react.

The car was behind the lorry 100 metres away 5 vehicles from the accident when the tractor driver was committing to the turn.

The white van directly behind the mower on the white line wouldn't have helped the tractor drivers view either.

No matter what people think you still can't break the speed limit while overtaking.

The Honda driver should be off the road. That manoeuvre looked like it wasn't his first time overtaking a row of vehicles at speed.
    Do that craic and no if's nor buts. You're dangerous. Off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Tractor was off the road in the field gateway by the time of the accident.
    Your man in the car had ample time to react.

The car was behind the lorry 100 metres away 5 vehicles from the accident when the tractor driver was committing to the turn.

The white van directly behind the mower on the white line wouldn't have helped the tractor drivers view either.

No matter what people think you still can't break the speed limit while overtaking.

The Honda driver should be off the road. That manoeuvre looked like it wasn't his first time overtaking a row of vehicles at speed.
    Do that craic and no if's nor buts. You're dangerous. Off.

Plus no attempt made by the car to brake

Plus no attempt made by the car to brake

I don't think he had indicators on either.

Ah you just know at that speed he wasn't in the line of traffic at all. He came upon the row of traffic at his travelling speed and went for it.

On the lorry dashcam when they meet the esb pickup the speed of traffic is already slowing up. If you were in that traffic you'd know there's something up.
    Obviously the car driver wasn't in that traffic.
    If there was a child or dog on the road with that driver passing them out..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Markcheese wrote: »
    Unfortunately the same could be said of most accidents ... You cant look 360degrees ,but it's not really an excuse to say I checked a second ago ..

Have ground on a busy main road here exactly like that turn-off and always stop tractor dead on road to a standstill when turning if their is traffic behind us, and then turn once i know the 2-3 cars that are behind us are stopped, would of had a incident exactly like the above when at slurry this year only for doing the above two cars directly behind us pulled up but the third lad sailed out by the two cars and tractor and tanker never lifting the foot, where their is a broken white line and your turning into the right crossing a lane the onus is on you to make sure no traffic is in that lane before commiting to turn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

Ya couldn't get over how quick those cars disappeared that were up with the action

Dash cam would have the reg in front of him and maybe more anyways so be easy for guards to get in contact. I'd be fighting that if they tried to put any of it it on the tractor, even with checking the mirrors the car covered a lot of ground in a short time and may have been clear when he checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It shows the importance of having dashcams as well if you're on the road regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Turning in to our own place here I pull off the left where there is space to leave the cars pass, two many idiots on the road have tried that ****e before. Oh other way is if no lorry behind is to take up the whole road before turning in. Some dopes think indicating in a tractor means they can go past. The dash cam of the lorry should aid the tractor driver there but he will have to tell his insurance company he isn't accepting any liability which would prob mean court. Young lad years ago pulled out in front of the mother from a minor road, they still ended up saying it was a 90/ 10 split at fault. Ridiculous really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭emaherx

Wonder if he'll get a HSA inspection now for his missing PTO cover :D

Advertisement