Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Aska wrote: »
    NO private sale, only bringing it home after collecting her, hardly had it 20 minutes,

being JD I guess the new owner got them to collect it

Be stupid not to have Comp insurance on it

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

hopeso wrote: »
    They should still be responsible for whatever damage they done.....

Maybe the owner gave them permission to right it that way, luckily the driver was ok, just bruising and shock

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

wrangler wrote: »
    Be stupid not to have Comp insurance on it

Had indeed, put it on at 10.30 he said and was calling them back within the hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Aska wrote: »
    Maybe the owner gave them permission to right it that way, luckily the driver was ok, just bruising and shock
    Good to hear that the driver is ok. It must have been an awful shock for him/her.

On the topic of split brakes, OH always splits the brakes and I always join them. Our tractors (older models) would be used in and around the yard/farm and only one of them is insured for road use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭queueeye

Reggie. wrote: »
    Why has class round balers like the 355 or 354 have such a bad name. It just came up in conversation today and just wondered what was the issue with them

Just unreliable and soft. Big problem with them is that the power to drive the rollers on the door is transferred across the machine through the roller on the very top. This causes the roller to collapse over time as the strain on the roller is huge. Used to have to replace either it, or the bearings or both often. Definitely once a season if baling a lot.

The floating rollers were a problem too, especially if baling a lot of straw or hay. The spinning material on the bale wears away the bottom of the gearbox on the mps unit and drains out or contaminates the grease leading to failure.

Good machine to take in stuff when it was going well but you’d always just be waiting for the next problem. No problem with the bales it made either if set up and driven properly with a decent swath of stuff in front of it.

Gone now though and not sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

his crowd would think they’re competition to local forage gang/contractor in our area. Not the first trailer to go, they reckon on passive steer axels blowing pipes which causes the axel to bring the unit over, between this and k2 trailers pushing the back door off on the compactor

https://twitter.com/tilly_trailer/status/1293425673550336001?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭enricoh

I wouldn't be long losing faith in them trailers after seeing that - if I had one it'd be on done deal tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Is there much of a market out there for used tractor tyres or would ya be wasting your time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Any of the somewhat in demand sizes sell pretty fast if they have any bit of tread left and are priced reasonably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

are you replacing them with tracks...a bit more of this rain and it might be necessary....

Always lads looking for a bargain, cousins of mine haven't bought new tyres for any tractor they have in years always 2nd hand as they're not on the road much

• Advertisement

Want to put wider tyres on the rear for reseeding so if changing the back I'll change the front aswell. Might do it over the winter. About 60% thread left on them at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Want to put wider tyres on the rear for reseeding so if changing the back I'll change the front aswell. Might do it over the winter. About 60% thread left on them at least.

Oh they'll sell like hot cakes.
    Friend changes with about 30% grip left and sells no bother and it contributes to the new set

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭Base price

You will have no problem selling them. We never bought new tyres for either the tractors or the 50b. We don't do any road work as the farm is in one block and my land in over the road. We prefer to buy ones with 40/30% left as they don't cut the ground as much.

A bit of advice - before you change them drop into a few tyre places and price what similar second hand tyres would cost. I've heard of guys buying new tyres from a supplier/fitter, leaving the old ones behind and the supplier/fitter selling them for anything from €100 each for ones with 20% left.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

What size are they Reggie, after a set here. Partially worn suits here as we've mainly flat ground and some softer land too where new ones would do some ripping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Ascii wrote: »
    Hi there. I am trying to get a replacement log book for an old MF 165. Has been in the family for a few years and a nearby farm for donkey years before that and is 100% genuine. Old log book was thrown out by mistake. Motor tax office tell me that since no one knows the registration number they will be able to help if I get the chassis number. There is a small serial number plate above the steering wheel but its totally illegible so I cant obtain the number from that. Would it be anywhere else on the tractor ?
    Can a chassis number be determined from the sets of digits emblazoned on the side of the gearbox above the clutch pedal (ending in M6) and again on each of the rear axles (ending in M1). Its a square axle from circa 1975 with the 212 engine.
    If anyone else has any advice on getting a replacement book then I would be glad to hear it. TIA

Anyone have any idea about the above?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058105541

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭emaherx

I replied to the post in the thread there now.

Damo810 wrote: »
    What size are they Reggie, after a set here. Partially worn suits here as we've mainly flat ground and some softer land too where new ones would do some ripping.

480/65/24 front
    540/65/38 rear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

emaherx wrote: »
    I replied to the post in the thread there now.

Thanks, e, I hate seeing posts without a reply:o

480/65/24 front
    540/65/38 rear

After a set of 520/70/38's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Something a little different. My friends new orchard tractor. Its 3 cylinder with front suspension, front linkage and pto. No ad blue or DPF.

• Advertisement

After a set of 520/70/38's

The rears would be nearly the same I'd say only slightly wider

The rears would be nearly the same I'd say only slightly wider

would have to go to a 600 for a 65 profile and that would mean changing the outer rims. It would suit in some ground but the valtra wouldnt have the backend weight for 600's on dry ground.

would have to go to a 600 for a 65 profile and that would mean changing the outer rims. It would suit in some ground but the valtra wouldnt have the backend weight for 600's on dry ground.

Why would ya have to go to 600? Out of curiosity

To keep the ratio right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Hey Reggie, how did you get on with the new malone mower this year?

Are you glad you changed?

Any issues?

Panch18 wrote: »
    Hey Reggie, how did you get on with the new malone mower this year?

Are you glad you changed?

Any issues?

None at all. Very happy with it. Would recommend no bother. Well able to shave the ground

Why would ya have to go to 600? Out of curiosity

To keep the ratio right?

Yes for Ratio's, can go 460/85, 520/70 or 600/65 to keep ratio's inline for the front 420/70/28's.

Something you need to be careful of when changing your's, but a good tire place will put you right, drop box ratio should be stamped somewhere on your Landini, it's inside the cabs of the JD or your dealer might be able to tell you off the spec sheet.

Yes for Ratio's, can go 460/85, 520/70 or 600/65 to keep ratio's inline for the front 420/70/28's.

Something you need to be careful of when changing your's, but a good tire place will put you right, drop box ratio should be stamped somewhere on your Landini, it's inside the cabs of the JD or your dealer might be able to tell you off the spec sheet.

Already called to agrigear and got the sizes for her. It's one thing I never got my head around was tyre ratios

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Reggie. wrote:
    480/65/24 front 540/65/38 rear

Just curious how much wider could you go before having to get a new rim? Assuming your going up to a 600?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

davidk1394 wrote:
    Something a little different. My friends new orchard tractor. Its 3 cylinder with front suspension, front linkage and pto. No ad blue or DPF.

They have the joystick like the big ones don't they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

Already called to agrigear and got the sizes for her. It's one thing I never got my head around was tyre ratios

@Reggie. How do you find the tuffmac dump trailer, I think I saw your landini on their Facebook page.

Advertisement