Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Can anyone provide me of a rough estimate for a new 14ft or 16ft tractor drawn cattle trailer. Would prefer for it to be on 400's for field access. Demountable would be ideal to get most use out of the thing, but not a must.
    The Johnson triple purpose looks like a good job, although it only breaks down as far as a grain trailer.

Currently trying to figure out whether to get a 14ft tri-axle (and inevitably overload it on the jeep) or opt for a tractor drawn trailer.

What thickness of sheeting do most builders use for their sides?

Anyone know of where to locate decent second hand stock of the tractor trailers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Twas an Abbey you said I think? A 2090?
    They're well done in fairness.

It's an Abbey 2100.
    It'll never be as clean again..:pac:

20190923-141706.jpg

20190923-141647.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

It's an Abbey 2100.

20190923-141706.jpg

20190923-141647.jpg

Well wear!
    Met you on the bend at Gordon's.

You're sticking with the straw bedding so I take it?

Well wear!
    Met you on the bend at Gordon's.

You're sticking with the straw bedding so I take it?

Thanks!

Yea you nearly put me in the ditch. Ya langer.. :p

I'll stay with it for a while still anyways. My other one was just showing a bit of age. The side slinger is still handy for the little bits of jobs when you're drawing from the yard on the road. I'll still be getting contractors for the big pile.
    It should nearly do my lifetime anyways, it's the first brand new dung spreader I've ever had here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Thanks!

Yea you nearly put me in the ditch. Ya langer.. :p

I'll stay with it for a while still anyways. My other one was just showing a bit of age. The side slinger is still handy for the little bits of jobs when you're drawing from the yard on the road. I'll still be getting contractors for the big pile.
    It should nearly do my lifetime anyways, it's the first brand new dung spreader I've ever had here.

I was busy looking at the spreader ;)
    We still have our 2090 here, will probably rot from lack of use now

You'll have to do a video on it like the funky farmer!

• Advertisement

You'll have to do a video on it like the funky farmer!

Ehhhh no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Ehhhh no!

are you dung only Say or slurry as well?

Panch18 wrote: »
    are you dung only Say or slurry as well?

Slatted tank at the feeding area with straw lie back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭White Clover

It's an Abbey 2100.

20190923-141706.jpg

20190923-141647.jpg

Well wear. A fine machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Slatted tank at the feeding area with straw lie back.

the dung is great for the soil alright, there's nothing like dung for land

• Advertisement

Can anyone provide me of a rough estimate for a new 14ft or 16ft tractor drawn cattle trailer. Would prefer for it to be on 400's for field access. Demountable would be ideal to get most use out of the thing, but not a must.
    The Johnson triple purpose looks like a good job, although it only breaks down as far as a grain trailer.

Currently trying to figure out whether to get a 14ft tri-axle (and inevitably overload it on the jeep) or opt for a tractor drawn trailer.

What thickness of sheeting do most builders use for their sides?

Anyone know of where to locate decent second hand stock of the tractor trailers?

I feel a bit guilty for getting in front of your query.

So.... bump.

I feel a bit guilty for getting in front of your query.

So.... bump.

No need to feel guilty :D
    Purchased machinery takes precedence over potential machinery - especially when photos are involved :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

No need to feel guilty :D
    Purchased machinery takes precedence over potential machinery - especially when photos are involved :pac:

Huge demand for cattle trailers on Done deal, they're never up for long if they're fresh, I sold a 20 by 8 a few years ago, it was sold in 12 hrs, the buyer told me he had missed a good few by not being quick enough and wasn't going to miss mine.......... I obviously didn't ask enough for it

wrangler wrote: »
    Huge demand for cattle trailers on Done deal, they're never up for long if they're fresh, I sold a 20 by 8 a few years ago, it was sold in 12 hrs, the buyer told me he had missed a good few by not being quick enough and wasn't going to miss mine.......... I obviously didn't ask enough for it

Was it branded or home made? Any advice on what to avoid or look for? 20ft is too big for our needs though, especially on the roads we'll be on.

Was it branded or home made? Any advice on what to avoid or look for? 20ft is too big for our needs though, especially on the roads we'll be on.

This is the trailer, there was no brakes on it but the axle was suitable for putting brake on it, A local makes them, I bought it in 2000 and sold it in 2017, I got €4000 at the time, It was always out but the steel floor was painted every two years, It wasn't an awkward trailer which I thought it would be, but naturally enough it needed a wide gate if you were going in off a narrow road.
    If you have the work for a trailer they're a lifetime investment and worth spending a bit of money buying them

IMG_0573.JPG

IMG_0575.JPG

Whats the idea of the walkway on the roof? Is it used often?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

It's used for checking stock in transit, also when loading stock on to a bigger body they don't always go up to the very front of the trailer which prevents filling it fully. With the walkway someone can walk along over head and encourage the stock to move along the full length of the trailer enabling getting​ a full load on. I'd recommend getting a dividing gate as it allows you tighten up stock on half loads which should lead to a better towing experience. It also allows you to split cows and calves or weaker animals to prevent trampling.

I don't think I was ever up on the walkway, it there was only sheep in it since 2006

There was a dividing gate in it too...... you'd need it in anything over 15ft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

This is the trailer, there was no brakes on it but the axle was suitable for putting brake on it, A local makes them, I bought it in 2000 and sold it in 2017, I got €4000 at the time,

IMG_0573.JPG

IMG_0575.JPG

i often wonder about this. If some random fella is making trailers on an ad hoc basis with no formal engineering design and certification and sans any sort of braking system, what is the position when an accident happens or someone is injured while using the trailer? Will the user be insured? Will the manufacturer have products liability cover if the trailer was faulty or dangerous by design? Will the user or manufacturer be prosecuted for supplying/using an untested or uncertified trailer?

Sounds extreme I know but as they say it is all fine and grand until something goes wrong and someone is injured and has their solicitor on a crusade for compensation and will find any and every little detail to nail you on.

I see it with car trailers especially. Things cobbled together by some fella who thought himself handy with a welder and the thing is bombing up the road at 100km/hr bouncing all over the place with ne'er a brake or spring.

Especially nowadays when most tractors are 50km/hr and everything is much larger and heavier, the risks are much higher. Obviously a boreen chop shop welding up trailers from old lorry bodies isn't going to have the means to model the trailer and test it for dangerous handling or other funny behaviour in the way the designers of a more formal engineering firm would probably do. And importantly, testing of the welds.

I remember we had a chop shop grain trailer years ago and it was leathal on the road. When laden it would get into scary harmonic surges that would keep getting worse and worse until the front axle of the tractor started lifting off of the road. And this was at 30km/hr.

I'd imagine if such a trailer was made today, sold and subsequently was found to have been the main cause of a serious accident, the owner and/or manufacturer would be ridden rock solid by the courts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

New trailers are plated now. Nobody should buy a new trailer, tractor or otherwise, that isn't plated.

• Advertisement

Well yes of course all legitimate manufacturers do that. But I'm talking of the "fella down the road" who makes trailers, often out of the chassis of scrapped lorries and such. Are them sort of fellas still operating? That is the impression i got from the post.

We all see the bale trailers that are cobbled together from truck scraps. Often with extensions added into theh chassis too.

i often wonder about this. If some random fella is making trailers on an ad hoc basis with no formal engineering design and certification and sans any sort of braking system, what is the position when an accident happens or someone is injured while using the trailer? Will the user be insured? Will the manufacturer have products liability cover if the trailer was faulty or dangerous by design? Will the user or manufacturer be prosecuted for supplying/using an untested or uncertified trailer?

Sounds extreme I know but as they say it is all fine and grand until something goes wrong and someone is injured and has their solicitor on a crusade for compensation and will find any and every little detail to nail you on.

I see it with car trailers especially. Things cobbled together by some fella who thought himself handy with a welder and the thing is bombing up the road at 100km/hr bouncing all over the place with ne'er a brake or spring.

Especially nowadays when most tractors are 50km/hr and everything is much larger and heavier, the risks are much higher. Obviously a boreen chop shop welding up trailers from old lorry bodies isn't going to have the means to model the trailer and test it for dangerous handling or other funny behaviour in the way the designers of a more formal engineering firm would probably do. And importantly, testing of the welds.

I remember we had a chop shop grain trailer years ago and it was leathal on the road. When laden it would get into scary harmonic surges that would keep getting worse and worse until the front axle of the tractor started lifting off of the road. And this was at 30km/hr.

I'd imagine if such a trailer was made today, sold and subsequently was found to have been the main cause of a serious accident, the owner and/or manufacturer would be ridden rock solid by the courts.

I got a similar lecture from a guy nearly as soon as I put up the ad before telling me it was worth about 2500.
    Next morning at 8 oclock I got a phone call from another guy asking was that my dog in the cage in the yard, he had phoned the night before but didn't say he was coming.
    The first guy phoned at 9 oclock, it was with great pleasure I told him it was sold.....he couldn't believe it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭enricoh

There was a fine trailer at the ploughing last year lift off cattle body and hydraulic ramps at the back for machinery,,,,,,,,, something like €26000 + vat
    Can't just find it now, but here's an example
    https://herbstmachinery.com/product/livestock-trailer/

I'd be getting the welder out myself- 26k +vat for that yoke! Was down at the ploughing and thought that machinery prices are off the wall nowadays.

enricoh wrote: »
    I'd be getting the welder out myself- 26k +vat for that yoke! Was down at the ploughing and thought that machinery prices are off the wall nowadays.

That pic was just an example of a lift off cattle body.

This is the real trailer I was referring to that cost 23000+vat.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/novel-3-in-1-trailer-launched-at-the-ploughing/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emaherx

Home made trailers are actually perfectly legal. They are restricted for use below 40kph unless certified and plated to say otherwise.

But it is possible to have any suitable trailer certified and plated there are companies who will assess them.

You are probably right about liability of manufacturers and owners if found to be a factor in a road accident though

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I don't think I was ever up on the walkway, it there was only sheep in it since 2006

There was a dividing gate in it too...... you'd need it in anything over 15ft

That trailer looks a fine job to be fair although the one criticism I'd have of it is the lack of side vents especially if you'd be hauling loads of sheep. In warm weather I'd imagine there wouldn't be much air circulating through the body which could cause casualties with full loads if you weren't careful. If it was mainly a cattle trailer then this wouldn't really be an issue.

emaherx wrote: »
    Home made trailers are actually perfectly legal. They are restricted for use below 40kph unless certified and plated to say otherwise.

But it is possible to have any suitable trailer certified and plated there are companies who will assess them.

You are probably right about liability of manufacturers and owners if found to be a factor in a road accident though

I see. That is fine in theory but in practice how can you be sure that someone doesn't hitch up to it with a 50k tractor or a FastTrac and then go and get in an accident. It would have to be strictly controlled. The only way i could think of it being a safe system is for the trailer to have a different hitch type than the rest of the trailers and the 50k tractors on the farm so that only the sub 40k tractors can haul it. Even that is a system that can break down and will be troublesome in practice.

Even if it is perfectly legal and above board, there will always be a question mark above it if there is an accident. I would think it would be too much of a risk having a chop shop trailer on the fleet.

Safest bet is just not to have any of that type of thing and only have legitimately engineered and manufactured, plated trailers. At least then there is no question mark over their design or fitness for purpose should something happen.

That trailer looks a fine job to be fair although the one criticism I'd have of it is the lack of side vents especially if you'd be hauling loads of sheep. In warm weather I'd imagine there wouldn't be much air circulating through the body which could cause casualties with full loads if you weren't careful. If it was mainly a cattle trailer then this wouldn't really be an issue.

Sheep wouldn't be in it very long but it would get warm some days, never lost one in it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭Grueller

I see. That is fine in theory but in practice how can you be sure that someone doesn't hitch up to it with a 50k tractor or a FastTrac and then go and get in an accident. It would have to be strictly controlled. The only way i could think of it being a safe system is for the trailer to have a different hitch type than the rest of the trailers and the 50k tractors on the farm so that only the sub 40k tractors can haul it. Even that is a system that can break down and will be troublesome in practice.

Even if it is perfectly legal and above board, there will always be a question mark above it if there is an accident. I would think it would be too much of a risk having a chop shop trailer on the fleet.

Safest bet is just not to have any of that type of thing and only have legitimately engineered and manufactured, plated trailers. At least then there is no question mark over their design or fitness for purpose should something happen.

While I agree with you, it is foolproof on my farm as I have only one roadgoing tractor and it is 30k;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emaherx

You don't need to be sure someone doesn't hook it up to a 50K tractor as that is their responsibility same could be said about someone hooking up a certified well engineered and plated 40K trailer and pulling it at 70k up the motorway behind a fast tractor as they would be equally liable. Such stupidity removes the liability from the trailer builder and places it completely on the driver.

Advertisement