Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

davidk1394 wrote: »
    I had a deere F441 R out on demo. It was an animal to take in grass and quick to net. It is well built but it didn't like short grass. It sat in the gap between the pick up and chopper

You'll hardly keep up the contracting now with the cows will you

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭French Toast

I had a deere F441 R out on demo. It was an animal to take in grass and quick to net. It is well built but it didn't like short grass. It sat in the gap between the pick up and chopper

Solid looking baler.

McHales suffer a similar problem with short stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Gillespy

That seems to be a common issue with a few balers including the Fusions. I find with our Welger it depends more on how damp it is. Even a bit dew will block you. A small bit of drying and you can bale away again fine. Late Sept/Oct the worst for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

endainoz wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/toppers-for-sale/major-cyclone-topper/27547569

Very nice price for a cyclone, if it actually hasn't been used.

Whats special about a cyclone topper?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Reggie. wrote: »
    You'll hardly keep up the contracting now with the cows will you

I'll keep at it as long as I can. That diesel bug is hard to shake at times

• Advertisement

I'll keep at it as long as I can. That diesel bug is hard to shake at times

I hear ya, just don't lose sight of the common sense. See a lad here and what he is at is strange

I hear ya, just don't lose sight of the common sense. See a lad here and what he is at is strange

I think I need common sense to loose it :P but yeah in all seriousness I fully understand what your saying

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭jaymla627

I think I need common sense to loose it :P but yeah in all seriousness I fully understand what your saying

At a minimum you’ll need a full time relief milker for evening milking to have any hope of keeping at the contracting and cows

jaymla627 wrote: »
    At a minimum you’ll need a full time relief milker for evening milking to have any hope of keeping at the contracting and cows

Theres a fella i know that in order for him to keep the help for the summer, he stays at home and sends the worker out to do the slurry just to keep him employed over the winter months. He would nearly be better off in my mind to pull back abit of work and tip along himself all year. What he's at couldn't pay

• Registered Users Posts: 11,169 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Theres a fella i know that in order for him to keep the help for the summer, he stays at home and sends the worker out to do the slurry just to keep him employed over the winter months. He would nearly be better off in my mind to pull back abit of work and tip along himself all year. What he's at couldn't pay

The fact that he has someone that knows the run of the place and he himself can head off for a few days without strangling himself for three days before preparing to go. All of that cannot be put a value on

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »
    The fact that he has someone that knows the run of the place and he himself can head off for a few days without strangling himself for three days before preparing to go. All of that cannot be put a value on

Thats the thing he can't

Some lads get that reliant on another's help,that they'd be "at sea" without the same help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Thanks 9935452

its 2007 with 10500 bales on it. ex farmer machine with 1/2 haylage and 1/2 silage baled with it and almost no knife work done. chains , sprockets and netting all seemed fine on last year. it has auto oiler, but manual grease bank . Ill check the back door hinges and rams but at 11k bales it has only a season of work done and I wont think it has 300 mile of road work done

Had its on mccormick 105 last year but going to stick it behind a 185hp fastrac this year . Speed isn't an issue when your at your own work, I would just be tipping along. a big M is putting 30ft in front so realistic it should be ok for 24/26ft so of tedded out grass so just tipping along

The lad I bought it off told me he never ever used the reverse feed on the baler as he heard to many stories of damaging gearboxes, so he told me he only ever turned off the pto and tractor and manually pulled out a clog, and the once it happened last year I did the same as it was the first day and well I was learning as I went along

Yes a few people told me about talc powder alright , but I had no issues with it and again the seller told me TAMA net so that's all I have bought for it either .

thank you for all the advice and pointers

9935452 wrote: »
    We had one for years . Ran it on anything from a 7740 to a tm155. 7740 was just about able for it . If you blocked it it cut the tractor dead. On a bigger tractor slip clutch went .
    As gilllespie says bigger swarth means you have to go slower. We once picked up a heavy wet crop from a big m. Literally bottom gear. .
    A few tips. Carry a can of hair spray or talc for the rollers of the feed for the net.
    Figure out which brand of net it likes and stick to it .
    Every day before you use it , put it into reverse then forward . They are known for internal leakage so it mightnt be fully engaged in forward.
    If you need to use the reverse make sure you can lift and drop the reel afterwards before starting the pto.
    Take off the panels and check the condition of the back door hinges. Check they are tight .
    The mounts for the rams on the back door can break too so check for cracks .
    What year is it btw ?
    We had a 2002 that would chop anything and a 2005 th as t didnt like wiry dry stuff. Supposedly known for it .
    The manuals for it are on the johndeere dot com website with all the fault codes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

Thanks 9935452

its 2007 with 10500 bales on it. ex farmer machine with 1/2 haylage and 1/2 silage baled with it and almost no knife work done. chains , sprockets and netting all seemed fine on last year. it has auto oiler, but manual grease bank . Ill check the back door hinges and rams but at 11k bales it has only a season of work done and I wont think it has 300 mile of road work done

Had its on mccormick 105 last year but going to stick it behind a 185hp fastrac this year . Speed isn't an issue when your at your own work, I would just be tipping along. a big M is putting 30ft in front so realistic it should be ok for 24/26ft so of tedded out grass so just tipping along

The lad I bought it off told me he never ever used the reverse feed on the baler as he heard to many stories of damaging gearboxes, so he told me he only ever turned off the pto and tractor and manually pulled out a clog, and the once it happened last year I did the same as it was the first day and well I was learning as I went along

Yes a few people told me about talc powder alright , but I had no issues with it and again the seller told me TAMA net so that's all I have bought for it either .

thank you for all the advice and pointers

The problem with the gearboxes was , it was controlled with the same hydraulic supply that the reel uses. You stop the pto , select reverse on the control box, pull the lever that normally lifts the reel to select reverse at the gearbox. Start the pto to reverse.
    Then the opposite to put back into forward. The problem was when lads didnt select forward on the control box . Started the pto , the next time they went to lift the reel , it went from going full speed forward to reverse and bang
    You are better off using the reverse on the gearbox though as they have been known to leak oil internally across the valve chest.
    We were looking at one stage of making a bracket to bolt the gearbox permanently into forward.
    The net is normally fine when its working , its changing the rolls is where the problem happens.
    Never use a knife to cut the net off the rubber roller eithre. It damages the roller which catches the net. Take off drive belt off the netter and extend it and the mechanism will freewheel..
    Another thing that is commonly done is widening the front chamber by an inch or so.
    In the bad wet summer , certain types of bsles wouldnt come out of the chamber. They would just stick. There are plates inside the back door thst are meant to pull it out but werent.
    Jacked out the front chamber by an inch and it never happened again.

Well wear with the baler btw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,052 ✭✭✭endainoz

ruwithme wrote: »
    Whats special about a cyclone topper?

I've had one for a few years now, have done serious clearing with it, also doubles as a topper for faster work and only needs 80hp to run. Far more economical than a mulcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

9935452 wrote: »
    The problem with the gearboxes was , it was controlled with the same hydraulic supply that the reel uses. You stop the pto , select reverse on the control box, pull the lever that normally lifts the reel to select reverse at the gearbox. Start the pto to reverse.
    Then the opposite to put back into forward. The problem was when lads didnt select forward on the control box . Started the pto , the next time they went to lift the reel , it went from going full speed forward to reverse and bang
    You are better off using the reverse on the gearbox though as they have been known to leak oil internally across the valve chest.
    We were looking at one stage of making a bracket to bolt the gearbox permanently into forward.
    The net is normally fine when its working , its changing the rolls is where the problem happens.
    Never use a knife to cut the net off the rubber roller eithre. It damages the roller which catches the net. Take off drive belt off the netter and extend it and the mechanism will freewheel..
    Another thing that is commonly done is widening the front chamber by an inch or so.
    In the bad wet summer , certain types of bsles wouldnt come out of the chamber. They would just stick. There are plates inside the back door thst are meant to pull it out but werent.
    Jacked out the front chamber by an inch and it never happened again.

Well wear with the baler btw

User of a 575 for the past 10 years here. I only do 7/800 of my own bales with it. It’s a Good reliable baler and I have found it makes a very good bale. I have never really baled more than 10ft at a time though.

I echo advice on treating reversing gearbox with respect. I do use mine, but only by dabbing the pto carefully.

Tama net works well. I have never needed talc, but sometimes the silver roller needs a rub of very fine sandpaper if it is slightly rusted at the start of the year. Also keep the Baler in overnight, even the slightest bit of damp can make the netter play up.

Taking off the belt is the key to unraveling the net.

They are known for going on fire if the bearing just under the oil reservoir fails dramatically.

jaymla627 wrote: »

During the summer months I might have 1 week where your busy the rest is of the work is more spread out. I have a friend who is doing an apprenticeship with Bus eireann. When his finished in the evening he'll take over from me and I'll go milking. The father drives the baler and I stay on the wrapper.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »

Unusual to see them on single axles

Only one item of the six sold, bidding on the tanker went to £17,750 and didn't sell. I wonder has brexit affected the used machinery trade in the UK? AFAIK it's even difficult for them to sell to N.I. now.

• Advertisement

Unusual to see them on single axles

It'd be big weight on the single axle and on the ground.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Only one item of the six sold, bidding on the tanker went to £17,750 and didn't sell. I wonder has brexit affected the used machinery trade in the UK? AFAIK it's even difficult for them to sell to N.I. now.

Can't import them with any clay still attached according to the unionists anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Apparently it was always the case that dirty machinery couldn't get on the boat. They are just now now using it as ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Apparently it was always the case that dirty machinery couldn't get on the boat. They are just now now using it as ammo.

God be with the days that boys would purposely dirty a brand new machine before crossing the border to get out of paying customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

Thinking of changing the tyres on our 2014 Case MAxxum 125. 600/65/38 & 480/65/28 Firestones on it with 30% thread. Only 3100 hours. Abit disappointed with the wear tbh. Like to go for a different brand. Not enthralled by the concept of BKT/Agrimax as they seem to have a reputation of being rough on the road and doing a lot of road work though we do have f & c susp. Would like to trade them in for safety, grip and while they still have some value. Recommendation and price wise? What are the current tyres worth?

jd_12345 wrote: »
    Thinking of changing the tyres on our 2014 Case MAxxum 125. 600/65/38 & 480/65/28 Firestones on it with 30% thread. Only 3100 hours. Abit disappointed with the wear tbh. Like to go for a different brand. Not enthralled by the concept of BKT/Agrimax as they seem to have a reputation of being rough on the road and doing a lot of road work though we do have f & c susp. Would like to trade them in for safety, grip and while they still have some value. Recommendation and price wise? What are the current tyres worth?

AFAIK Firestone have a very bad rep, Bridgestone owns them and Bridgestone are supposed to have improved their tractor tyres.

We put a set of Bridgestones on the Fiat this time last year and the numbers on the lugs of the front tyres are just barely visible today after about 250 hours, very little of that would have been road work though. Price last year was a small bit less than BKT.

Sorry no idea what your tyres are worth, Donedeal might give you an idea of asking prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Gudstock

Looking at some machines in O'Briens Mayo and Garrihys Ennistymon, not familiar with either, any reviews good/bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭stanflt

Just tore the front axle off the massey- was hauling slurry and had to pull into the ditch as a neighbor reversed out onto the road

• Registered Users Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Jaysus. Any pics of the damage?
    Who is liable there? You, the neighbour or the council?

• Advertisement

stanflt wrote: »
    Just tore the front axle off the massey- was hauling slurry and had to pull into the ditch as a neighbor reversed out onto the road

Doesn't surprise me. I seen the roads you drive. Only a matter of time tbh

Advertisement