Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Was talling to alad at the mart one day and asked who was the lad buying all the cows, young lad said that lad has so much money he opens the spinner to the last and spreads till he runs out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

K.G. wrote: »
    Am i missing something,gps fertilizer spreaders seems to be the must have fashion accessory at the minute

Grant is available for them, and the way the price of fertilizer is gone anything that helps stop waste is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,169 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Real farmers don't need GPS Nek ; )

It doesn't make much difference in Grassland as long as it's in the right field. animals grazing and dunging will spread the nutrients around.
    My sheep have set up campsites in every field, they lie in one area and dung when they get up and all the fertility graduates to that area.
    Of course then they won't graze the area unless forced to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Am i missing something,gps fertilizer spreaders seems to be the must have fashion accessory at the minute

More accurate, less waste, less diesel and less time doing it. Lad working here does most spreading as well so savings there to be had. Depending on cost first day of course

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Mooooo wrote: »
    More accurate, less waste, less diesel and less time doing it. Lad working here does most spreading as well so savings there to be had. Depending on cost first day of course

Id like to see where the gps would take me in some of our fields,does it have a self levelling mode and a wet spot senser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Id like to see where the gps would take me in some of our fields,does it have a self levelling mode and a wet spot senser

Some actually do on the self leveling I think. Plenty wetspots here, lack of gps doesn't stop some from going into em!
    When upgrading to you just go with the new or just stay in the past? I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Hate going backwards when changing a piece of equipment. Sideways at least. It's like the feeder here, started with a small Keenan, then a 12 cube tub then a 14 cube double tub. Sideways from now on there would be fine. Another simple Bogballe would do me fine again I just fancy a crack at the technology someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

anyone here working an elephant trunk type bale grab?..was looking at a scully ones seems to be the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

anyone here working an elephant trunk type bale grab?..was looking at a scully ones seems to be the business.
    I'd be interested in opinions on these as well. Its something I'm considering for this season.

I thought the JM Agri Design were supposed to be the one to have?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Have one of each design. Both are excellent grabs. Minor advantages to each design. Either will do the job better than any other type of grab out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

Gillespy wrote: »
    Hate going backwards when changing a piece of equipment. Sideways at least. It's like the feeder here, started with a small Keenan, then a 12 cube tub then a 14 cube double tub. Sideways from now on there would be fine. Another simple Bogballe would do me fine again I just fancy a crack at the technology someday.

Sometimes it appears to me,it's the manufacturers take a step backwards on some changes to machines made,from the previous designs.

On the fertiliser, not half dear enough yet for some lads shaking it into the ditch on the lap around the outside of the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Nobbies wrote: »
    Sometimes it appears to me,it's the manufacturers take a step backwards on some changes to machines made,from the previous designs.

On the fertiliser, not half dear enough yet for some lads shaking it into the ditch on the lap around the outside of the field.

Sure that's the longest sward. No good If nothing on it 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Troopers clutch is gone, I'm using the hilux around the farm which is too big and cumbersome. I was looking at one of those gators, has anyone any recommendations. Would they last long if roadways are rough enough and hilly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Nekarsulm wrote:
    Still working off a line drawn in the dust on the door glass here..... And lining up with a holly/ash/beech in the far hedge

Real farmers don't need GPS Nek ; )

That skill is almost non existent where I'm at even among the older folk that have gotten so used to the GPS, it's well gotten to the stage where a machine would have to be parked if the GPS wasn't working... Mad really

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭enricoh

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Troopers clutch is gone, I'm using the hilux around the farm which is too big and cumbersome. I was looking at one of those gators, has anyone any recommendations. Would they last long if roadways are rough enough and hilly

I've a 6 wheeled gator around 18 year old with about 8000 hrs on it, good grunt in it n it's diesel, handy boot in them for carrying stuff. Fairly bulletproof yanmar engine in it. Bad design flaw with the rad lower than the engine in em.

You'd want one with a cab. Hard to get value in them when buying second hand, crazy money new. A 4 wheeler with the bigger shocks might be more durable for the ruts!
    I'd get a clutch for the trooper!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

enricoh wrote: »
    I've a 6 wheeled gator around 18 year old with about 8000 hrs on it, good grunt in it n it's diesel, handy boot in them for carrying stuff. Fairly bulletproof yanmar engine in it. Bad design flaw with the rad lower than the engine in em.

You'd want one with a cab. Hard to get value in them when buying second hand, crazy money new. A 4 wheeler with the bigger shocks might be more durable for the ruts!
    I'd get a clutch for the trooper!

If the clutch, engine & gearbox failed on the trooper it would be cheaper to repair it than buy a gator

• Registered Users Posts: 11,598 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

kevthegaff wrote: »

May be worth a look at.

https://www.donedeal.ie/quads-for-sale/2014-daihatsu-hijet-truck-4x4/25711765

Cheaper than a gator too.

This crowd seem to be setting themselves up for the long haul in importing these and getting them out to farmers.
    I've no association.
    They're petrol if it's a thing for you.

Get the lift kits done if you're thinking of one. And as any off roading a wheel in each corner is better than not such as has the suzuki carry.
    They seem to be taking care of road reg so a big bonus on when I got mine.
    Proper wheels and tyres and they'll climb a mountain. More comfort than a gator too. Heater, radio, etc.

If the clutch, engine & gearbox failed on the trooper it would be cheaper to repair it than buy a gator

If the clutch, engine n gearbox went on the gator you'd need new stents for the ticker when you get the prices from dublin grass machinery!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Gudstock

Anyone here have any experience of Case Maxxums with the Multicontroller spec, say from 2009 to 2012? I think the multicontroller specced maxxums have Range Command and electric spools. These seem to be priced keener than say similar NHs. Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Or look out for a Suzuki Jimny, and put some proper 4x4 tyres on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Nekarsulm wrote:
    Or look out for a Suzuki Jimny, and put some proper 4x4 tyres on it.

Lads here bought an automatic Jimny to go spraying and slug pelleting with, putting a 3 inch lift kit on and some chunky tyres that look hilarious, works well it does, bought to replace a kubota gator or whatever there called because it was useful once it got damp out

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Quick question for JD owners. I was helping a neighbour change engine oil in a JD 6920 yesterday and the clock said 35 hours. What happens when they have 10,000 hours up, do they go back to 0 or do they show 10000?

There's 4 small buttons under the hour clock at the bottom of the dash, what are they for? We didn't adjust the buttons, but we are wondering has someone else pressed them since oil was changed last year and the 35 could be hours to go before a filter change is due?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

blue5000 wrote: »
    Quick question for JD owners. I was helping a neighbour change engine oil in a JD 6920 yesterday and the clock said 35 hours. What happens when they have 10,000 hours up, do they go back to 0 or do they show 10000?

There's 4 small buttons under the hour clock at the bottom of the dash, what are they for? We didn't adjust the buttons, but we are wondering has someone else pressed them since oil was changed last year and the 35 could be hours to go before a filter change is due?

The dot between the numbers blinks on/off when it passes 10k hours

If it had 10035.4 hours it would display 0035.4 with the dot blinking on/off

The BCU will always store the correct hours

Can’t remember ever using the buttons under the dash or what they even do, there is no service interval that flashes up from what I remember.

All from memory now though so it may be slightly wrong

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Thanks FM, filter we took off has 8400 odd hours written on it so we're finding it hard to believe there's 1600 hours gone on it in 14 months:o without an oil change.

Does the dot flash all the time or just when the engine is running? I'll have a look again later on and get back to you.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Does anyone (Reggie?) know if you can get a cab monitor/display bracket for the McCormick X6?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭Grueller

Had a lend of this from a friend today. 30' long made from from a tipping grain trailer body. He put a slurry box and all in it. It is some job to move stock. I moved 70 cattle to an outfarm today with it. 35 Autumn calving sucklers and their calves. It will take 16 sucklers at a time.

Grueller wrote: »
    Had a lend of this from a friend today. 30' long made from from a tipping grain trailer body. He put a slurry box and all in it. It is some job to move stock. I moved 70 cattle to an outfarm today with it. 35 Autumn calving sucklers and their calves. It will take 16 sucklers at a time.

That's a lad using his brain! It'll never be in his yard though - the whole parish will be using it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Does anyone (Reggie?) know if you can get a cab monitor/display bracket for the McCormick X6?

What are ya holding up? RAM mounts are good but expensive

I mounted my monitors to the bar on the door

• Registered Users Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Reggie. wrote: »
    What are ya holding up? RAM mounts are good but expensive

I mounted my monitors to the bar on the door

Baler controls - heavy old one. Was going to mount a dock for phone etc on it too - if I could fine one. Currently using a suction cup, but they are not great.

I could use the door handle, but was wondering if they had one for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,169 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

enricoh wrote: »
    That's a lad using his brain! It'll never be in his yard though - the whole parish will be using it!!

A friend specified this on his new trailer, end of borrowing

https://dromone.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Ball-Spoon-Brochure.pdf

Advertisement