Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When the insurance decide to write a car off ....

• 28-08-2019 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

When an assessor comes out to look at the damage to a car after an accident,does he take in to account the condition/scrapes to the car (not caused in the accident)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭treascon

When an assessor comes out to look at the damage to a car after an accident,does he take in to account the condition/scrapes to the car (not caused in the accident)?

Yes condition, mileage, spec all taken into consideration. A few scrapes here and there wouldn’t be a big deal

• Registered Users Posts: 41 maryjane1970

treascon wrote: »
    Yes condition, mileage, spec all taken into consideration. A few scrapes here and there wouldn’t be a big deal

He reason iam asking is because some hit the front of my car early last year causing €1500 Euro damage and insurance said they they would pay to get it fixed.the car is worth about €3500 at the time.
    The garage that was supposed to fix it kept putting me off,the damage was not too bad.anyone I followed it up a few weeks ago to see what was happening and insurance said to bring it in again to get assessed and they would sort it(other drivers insurance).

The car is only worth € 2750 and it has few more scrapes and bumps!
    Iam in process of selling it on so I don’t see sense in spending all that money.
    Would they give me the money or part of it?
    Will they write the car off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭treascon

It depends on what value the assessor places on the vehicle and how much the repairs will come to. If it’s not worth fixing on an economical basis it would be written off, beyond economic repair and you would be offered a pre accident value with the salvage normally sold on to a salvage dealer. I can’t really understand what the delay in sorting this out is if liability has been accepted by the other side? You should have their assessor reassess the vehicle ASAP if that’s what needs to be done and keep onto the other side’s insurer until you get it sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If you want to be paid cash rather than repair it, they should offer you the estimate figure, less the VAT element

• Registered Users Posts: 41 maryjane1970

If you want to be paid cash rather than repair it, they should offer you the estimate figure, less the VAT element

Is that option available?
    At the time I would of predated the car been fixed,but now it does not make any sense spending that sort of money on it.

• Advertisement

Is that option available?
    At the time I would of predated the car been fixed,but now it does not make any sense spending that sort of money on it.

The option is at the discretion of the insurer. Suggest it to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭9935452

treascon wrote: »

He reason iam asking is because some hit the front of my car early last year causing €1500 Euro damage and insurance said they they would pay to get it fixed.the car is worth about €3500 at the time.
    The garage that was supposed to fix it kept putting me off,the damage was not too bad.anyone I followed it up a few weeks ago to see what was happening and insurance said to bring it in again to get assessed and they would sort it(other drivers insurance).

The car is only worth € 2750 and it has few more scrapes and bumps!
    Iam in process of selling it on so I don’t see sense in spending all that money.
    Would they give me the money or part of it?
    Will they write the car off?

Was the estimate to repair it a main dealer estimation .?
    Why did it take so long to adress the matter. Early last year was a year and a half ago .
    Are they getting scrappage for the car?
    Because to me the car mightvbe worth 2750 but there is 1500 of repairs to be done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

I'm sorry, but your Employers have been at this "exclude the VAT for Cash" nonsense for the past couple of years.
    Let's say the Damage is just cosmetic (ie. does not in any way affect the roadworthiness of the car) and the injured Party wants to wait for say 6 months or more (for whatever personal reasons) prior to getting the car repaired. Does this mean that if they wish to be compensated for the full value of the damage to their car they will have to come back and attempt to extract the VAT from the other driver's Insurer when they do decide to put their car back to the condition it was in prior to the Incident ???

To get the car fixed would include VAT, Paint, Labour, possibly Body Panels, etc. There is a total figure for all these items.
    In other words, if my car is damaged it costs X amount to put it right. VAT is part of that figure. Regardless of whether I get it repaired or not.

Why try to wriggle out of it ?

VAT does not belong to the policyholder, it belongs to Revenue for services or products provided. If those services or products have not been supplied, it is not payable, end of story.

I'm sure you are aware that Vat is applicable to 2nd hand car sales through Dealers too. Yet when settling a claim for a write_off Insurers do not deduct Vat from the figure paid out, regardless of whether the claimant is replacing the car or not. So, apparently its not the "end of story".
    In other cases Insurers do not 'hold back' the Vat element of a claim. If I am claiming on a house policy for a replacement fridge the Insurer will not check whether I am actually buying a new fridge or not.

• Advertisement

If you are claiming for a replacement car or washing machine, insurers will pay the full amount
    If you are claiming for repairs to a car or washing machine and get the work done, insurers will pay the full amount due
    If you are claiming for repairs to a car or washing machine and are not getting the work done, you will not be paid the VAT element

*Applies to fridges as well

Sorry, Motorsport Weekend (in this house anyway) Talk Monday.......;)

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Sorry, Motorsport Weekend (in this house anyway) Talk Monday.......;)

No seriously, you’re grand

Advertisement