Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferry to Hollyhead

• 28-08-2019 8:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭

I'm planning a trip to the UK next month. The plan is to get the ferry from Dublin port and drive to my destination. I have never drove in the UK before so have a couple of questions.

Is there any sort of security checks that I would have to go through?

I was looking on google maps, but could not see any tolled roads. Presumably there are going to be a couple. Is there anyway to check this out?

I'm nearly sure my insurance covers me for driving in the UK, but I will double check this tomorrow. Should I be aware of anything else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Very little to be worried about in terms of driving around
    Roads are just a lot busier than here
    Only till I know if is the M6 till around Birmingham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Security checks are basically nil. There is a passport check at Dublin just before you join the lanes to drive onto the ferry but nothing substantial. Once you are there its a straight drive out of the terminal. There is a checkpoint in a metal shed with police and customs but it seems to be random selection because most cars aren't searched. I have never been searched. There may be an automated nail bed in the road there.

Confirm your policy with your insurer.

Other than that it is not much different to Ireland at all. Watch your speed. Make sure you leave plenty of time, the traffic queues on the motorway near Manchester for example are crazy. Don't remember any tolled roads. The drive through Wales is beautiful. The drive off Anglesey will take you near RAF Valley which is used for fast jet fighter training so its a nice treat when you see them flying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Thanks for the advice folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Depends where your going.
    If your going down to London there is an optional toll on the M6, if your going during the day take it if you want to make time.
    I thinks it’s 6 pounds?
    Also dartford is tolled. Avoidable tho, so go the other way.

Traffic can be serious over there depending on the time of day your driving through.
    If a motorway way gets shut down then you will be there for hours.

Rush hour traffic is crazy.

Do not speed, laws changed 2 years ago I think.
    Fine increases the faster you go.
    If you don’t have a uk address you will pay on the spot, And can be substantial.
    Over 90mph I think is a summons and they will block your credit card for an size-able amount and refund the difference after the courts decide the fine.
    You will be held if you don’t have the deposit until you are seen in court.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Have a data plan that you can use with your phone and just use Waze to get around. I don't take any motorway trip without using it and more than once has saved me from spending hours stuck in traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Ponster wrote: »
    Have a data plan that you can use with your phone and just use Waze to get around. I don't take any motorway trip without using it and more than once has saved me from spending hours stuck in traffic.

I use it the whole time. Fantastic app :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

dual carrigeway across holyhead has made the run to ferry a whole lot easier apart from the menai bridge bottleneck.

round manchester and liverpool motorways are a night mare expect to be stuck somewhere

would avoid london if possible

irish ferries have offers on at the moment !

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭twignme

I always take the overnight ferry from Dublin. Nice and quiet on board (bring a pillow up from your car) and arrive in Holyhead nice and early, avoid much of the heavy traffic the other side. Cheaper ferry fares too.
    You won’t see many jolly, bright, easily seen speed wagons, most are fixed cameras you won’t notice until you see the flash.
    I have been checked a couple of times at the ports both sides, very quick look in the boot and not much else. They mainly concentrate on the HGVs and vans in my experience.
    Don’t forget your speedometer is km/hr ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

dual carrigeway across holyhead has made the run to ferry a whole lot easier apart from the menai bridge bottleneck!
    Yes, watch out for that one ... road goes down to one lane each direction over the Brittania bridge (Menai bridge is the other one on the old A5 :) ). It's round a bit of a bend and can catch you unawares if you don't watch it.

Advertisement