Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strife with fibre to the home........

Options
  • 28-08-2019 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

So folks. Getting irritated here and dont know how to proceed with this.
    A house 9 miles from the GPO, but in a rural setting gets 24k - yes 24k from their copper phone line broadband. It is to far from exchange.
    Vodaphone is the provider and we were notified of fibre product now available on poles outside. Cannot recall the name but it is fibre on new poles outside, direct to exchange.

Anyway. We signed up to Vodafone gigabit fibre and KN networks were sent out to install it. The fibre runs via poles PAST the property and the reel of fibre is sitting on a pole, 2 poles PAST the house. So, KN engineer arrives, sees it running through trees, and says EIR never installed it properly, ran it through trees which are banging of the fibre line and he wont install until trees cut back "as its not good practice". It was definately installed like that as where it hits one tree, the installers wrapped padding around it. The poles are on the public road, but the trees are in fields next to the road, but are leaning over the road and into the wires.

So anyway, EIR was out today as the copper broadband went down and I asked them to do it while there, as they had a cherrypicker with them. They refused and pointed out they dont install these fibre lines - KN does! I even suggested they park up, and go into the house for tea and scones and I would fecking do it but got the usual "insurance reasons"

I am going round in circles here. The new product is massively faster and cheaper for the house but each is blaming the other.

WHO and HOW do I chase up this?

Vodafone? EIR? or KN. I am getting seriously annoyed.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Your contact is with Vodafone who liaise with open eir who liaise with KN. The installer should have made a note about why the installation failed. Did he mention that he would contact someone about getting the trees cut?

There is a massive thread about rural FTTH here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057871133

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

He took photos and sent them back. I rang Vodafone about the latest fault and enquired what was happening with the trees.

They told me it was recorded the trees are on our property! They are not. So she said she would contact EIR and call me back.

Still waiting a week later...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

He took photos and sent them back. I rang Vodafone about the latest fault and enquired what was happening with the trees.

They told me it was recorded the trees are on our property! They are not. So she said she would contact EIR and call me back.

Still waiting a week later...........

You're liable to be waiting quite a bit longer. If that turns out to be the case you might want to contact the Department of Communications. eir have a contract with them and there are clauses within that agreement dealing with expected connection times.

Broadband@DCCAE.gov.ie

So I rang Vodafone again last week for an update about what they are doing. They arranged an engineer to come out today again and if there is an issue, I am to ring them straight away. KN turns up and says............... Cannot do it, trees in the way, Rang vodafone and get message, "at least 15 minute wait"

So, engineer goes again, I lodge a complaint with VF customer services and manager to ring me tomorrow. Then transferred to Gigabit team. In total, 1 hour, 5 mins on the phone to tell them got nowhere again.

Gigabit team offered to send an engineer out next week, and I asked what are they going to do? Will they fix it? He couldnt answer.

Banging head off a wall here.

Eir blamed KN, KN blamed EIR, VF offering to send out ANOTHER KN engineer.......

FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭65535

Don't want to sound facetious here but could you just organise to cut back the trees in question yourself or a local farmer ?

• Advertisement

65535 wrote: »
    Don't want to sound facetious here but could you just organise to cut back the trees in question yourself or a local farmer ?

No I cannot.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110579822

Advertisement