Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying our family home in Drogheda? Good or Bad decision

Options
  • 28-08-2019 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We are currently in the process of buying a property as our home in Liscorrie Drogheda, we have put a 5k secured deposit on it and our solicitor have acquired the contracts for it also the property will be completed this December.

What we like about it is the location, near the retail park, motorway, hospital & other amenities & most importantly it is well within our budget.

The only thing that is juggling my mind is the current gang feud, shooting, guns seizure and petrol bomb attacks. Will this have a major impact on us, I am looking at raising a family and also looking at the equity of the house down the road.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ignore the feud stuff. It's restricted to very isolated pockets and will pass in time. If you think you like the town make the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭enricoh

I wouldn't mind the feud, but liscorrie is a bit close to Moneymore for my liking!
    If it didnt work out you could rent the house in an hour to hospital staff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

enricoh wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind the feud, but liscorrie is a bit close to Moneymore for my liking!
    If it didnt work out you could rent the house in an hour to hospital staff though.

What do you mean rent the house in an hour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

I spent a lot of time there. Don't mean to cause offence to any Drogheda natives or dwellers but I found it to be quite a rough town at times. Brawls outside the pubs were quite commonplace and I never really got that anywhere else. I had an attempted mugging against me near the cinema, thankfully they didn't get away with anything. Seemed to be a culture amongst the early 20's demographic to pride themselves on being scumbags, they referred to themselves as "shams". The feud only confirmed my beliefs.

That being said it is a huge town and you will get good and bad everywhere and nearly 99% of my interactions were positive and my viewpoints could be overshadowed and confused based on the negative experiences. Only real detractor there was the distance from Dublin. It was a substantial and costly commute whether it be with Bus Eireann or Irish Rail as it lies outside the Dublin Short Hop Zone and therefore wasn't available for Leap Card fares (might have changed now). Matthews buses do private services to Dublin but the cost can add up. The savings you are keeping from living there may well be offset by costs such as these. Amenities are great I will say that.

Liscorrie is a little close to Moneymore which is the location of the current feud in the first place. Liscorrie itself is no bodge. Outside Moneymore and Rathmullan, I don't think there's any particularly bad areas.

Advertisement