Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Child maintenance for 50/50 custody

• 28-08-2019 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi.

I have joint 50/50 custody of my 2 sons with my ex partner. She works 3 days per week, claims family income supplement, lone parents and receives all of the child benefit to which I receive none of. I have, out of no where been ordered to pay €195 in child maintenance per week by the social. If I do not do so within 14 days legal proceedings will be issued against me. Do I have to pay child maintenance given the 50/50 joint custody? Should I be entitled to half of the child benefit to use for my sons given the 50/50 custody?

Thanks for looking.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi OP

The child maintenance is for your child. Not you ex partner.

is there a big discrepancy in your incomes? IE does she need help to manage the expenses, and if she didn't have the maintenance would the childs quality of life be affected? If my maths is correct its about 7 euro a day per child based on her having them 3.5 days a week.

would getting 50% of the child benefit really make a difference? wanting to contest it smacks of point scoring really, but i do understand if its a case that you are genuinely struggling to make ends meet.

here is the child benefit guidelines from welfare.ie- it does appear she is entitled to it, but it also seems unfair.

Child Not Residing Full-Time With Either Parent

a. Parents residing in separate households

Child Benefit is payable to the parent with whom the child resides the majority of the time. If the child resides 50% of the time with each parent, the mother is paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

They can't force you to do anything, ignore letters from them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Hi.

I have joint 50/50 custody of my 2 sons with my ex partner. She works 3 days per week, claims family income supplement, lone parents and receives all of the child benefit to which I receive none of. I have, out of no where been ordered to pay €195 in child maintenance per week by the social. If I do not do so within 14 days legal proceedings will be issued against me. Do I have to pay child maintenance given the 50/50 joint custody? Should I be entitled to half of the child benefit to use for my sons given the 50/50 custody?

Thanks for looking.

“Out of nowhere”. There’s no reason for either you or the mother of your kids to think that SW should contribute financially to the maintenance of your kids when both of you are working.
    Your ex’s OPFP will be reduced by the amount you have been told to pay.

They can't force you to do anything, ignore letters from them

Yes he can ignore the letters but the amount of OPFP the mother of his kids is getting is going to be reduced by the amount of money he’s being told to cough up.
    Potentially leaving the kids hungry and cold.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Yes he can ignore the letters but the amount of OPFP the mother of his kids is getting is going to be reduced by the amount of money he’s being told to cough up.
    Potentially leaving the kids hungry and cold.

No it won't

• Advertisement

No it won't

Yes it will. I work in this sector so I know. There’s no reason for the taxpayer to totally financially support these kids when they have 2 parents who can work, and are working.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Yes it will. I work in this sector so I know. There’s no reason for the taxpayer to totally financially support these kids when they have 2 parents who can work, and are working.

They are not going to cut the mothers payment off and leave the children in hardship!!!!

And if they where, dya not think they would mention that in the letter, and Inform the mother!

Advertisement