Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property not correctly registered

Options
  • 29-08-2019 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi,

Our landlord has two properties adjacent to one another. I am renting the house with 2 beds, and I live there with my family.

The property next to us has 4 beds is also rented out by same landlord (shared amongs 4 or 5 people, I dont know them and they moved in last year)

I was checking on PRTB and I found out our property is wrongly registered as 4 bed. And the property next to us, that actually has 4 beds, I checked, as per this property's Eircode, is not even registered by our ( common) landlord

What should I do now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If your tenancy is registered, why do you think you need to do anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

OP you must be unemployed with alot of time on your hands ? Because this sounds like a lot of noise over nothing. Why are you even asking about this ? The house is registered.

Mod Note

Attack the post, not the poster. This sort of comment is unacceptable for the A&P Forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Do nothing, registered (correctly or incorrectly) or unregistered makes absolutely no difference to your rights or obligations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

You don't lose any rights and can't get in trouble, so why do anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A property not appear on the public database does not mean it isn't registered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Ella108 wrote: »
    What should I do now?

What should you do for what purpose?

do you have a grudge and want to strike back, or are you just wanting to be a decent person ? im not sure what your motivation is here.

because it would appear you should do nothing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

What is the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

Registering the tenant in PRTB is landlord's responsibility. Landlord is accountable for any mistakes in it.

In your case, just preserve the monthly utility bills like electricity, gas, etc (should be in your name) to prove your tenancy. You are safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You did exactly the correct thing. You opened a thread about the matter.

Put it out of your mind now. We have it from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Ella108

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was just curious and hence I asked a question! As a tenant, are there any future implications if the property you live in is not registered or registered incorrectly? I thought this is the correct forum to discuss.

Also, I was not provided any rent book. Should I have been?

What should you do for what purpose?

do you have a grudge and want to strike back, or are you just wanting to be a decent person ? im not sure what your motivation is here.

because it would appear you should do nothing.

Really? Why are you asking this? I am still being polite and replying to you, since you asked my intention, it is to be informed about things as a tenant.

mac.in wrote: »
    Registering the tenant in PRTB is landlord's responsibility. Landlord is accountable for any mistakes in it.

In your case, just preserve the monthly utility bills like electricity, gas, etc (should be in your name) to prove your tenancy. You are safe!

Thanks, that's probably what I needed to know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Ella108 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I was just curious and hence I asked a question! As a tenant, are there any future implications if the property you live in is not registered or registered incorrectly? I thought this is the correct forum to discuss.

Also, I was not provided any rent book. Should I have been?

How are you paying your rent? Bank transfer/standing order? That should be your proof. Would only really need a rent book if you were paying cash.

There are a lot of protections for you as a tenant, without you needing to apply for them or register for them.

How long have you been there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

L1011 wrote: »
    A property not appear on the public database does not mean it isn't registered.

Also, a property appearing on the public database does not mean that it is rented. :pac::pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Ella108

So if property which is rented out is not registered on PRTB or is incorrectly registered, as a tenant, I should do nothing about it, as per most of the comment replies here. I still wonder, than why is registrations mandatory for landlords???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It's a legal requirement. Errors are often clerical errors in the RTB and can be corrected. As a tenant it's none of your concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

OP the status of the property registration is of no concern to you. It will not affect your rights under the residential tenancies acts.

If the rtb find something wrong with the registration or require the landlord to register it will simply be a late registration fee of 90 euro on top of the 90 reg fee.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The landlord cannot pursue a tenant through the RTB, which legally is their only recourse, until such time as they regularise their position with the RTB. A tenant on the other hand, has no such restrictions- even if the tenancy was never registered.

The other thing- the RTB database is notorious for the number of errors and mistakes on it. If there an error- its safest to assume the issue lies at the RTB's door rather than the landlords- and if there is an ommission- it could be either the RTB or the landlord who are at fault.

The RTB's annual report suggests the number of non-registered landlords is now below 3%- following the high profile campaign they ran in 2018 which resulted in a threat of action against over 8,000 landlords who were identified as not being registered. If this is true (and given how dubious many of us find their many statements)- it means the level of non-registrations is vanishing into background static- where once it was rife.

The next issue will be the obligation to renew registrations on an annual basis- which is viewed by landlords, agents and tenants alike, as a naked attempt on the part of the RTB to milk more money out of the sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Yes, 40 euro a year per registration from next year along with the associated admin cost of having to register annually. In effect a possible 240(6 year part Iv by 40) v current one off 90 euro registration fee.

Advertisement