Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ALDI Power Tools (Ferrex)

• 29-08-2019 7:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone I just chanced buying a cordless 18V Circular saw from ALDI brand make is 'ferrex'. I ust wondered has anyone else bought any of those tools from there? It has a 3 year warranty with it.
    Are they decent? I just bought it for small bits and projects at home. Nothing big and I wouldnt be using it often. It came with one battery and I tried to find a website for the tools and cant find anything except links to Aldi. My only worry is the battery wont last and is there any other batteries I could buy to fit it in the future or do I just bin it if battery dies and its out of warranty?.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Interesting question. Following this as I’m interested in opinions on Aldi tools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why didn't you buy two batteries. It's a circular saw you'll need them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

listermint wrote: »
    Why didn't you buy two batteries. It's a circular saw you'll need them

It only comes with one battery.

Nodferatu wrote: »

Any time cordless tools were in Aldi I've seen them with spare batteries for additional. Did you check ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Panasonic cells in the batteries apparently. No idea about the tools. Would be nice if someone designed an adapter to the dewalt batteries that could be 3D printed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

In my Aldi they have a locked glass display cabinet full to the brim with extra batteries. Too easy to steal, I guess.

Panasonic cells in the batteries apparently. No idea about the tools. Would be nice if someone designed an adapter to the dewalt batteries that could be 3D printed.

Why DeWalt. They've changed batteries multiple times and have differing sizes even today.

Whereas the likes of Ryobi have not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭emaherx

Aldi sell the batteries regularly. It's possible to get any lithium ion batteries reconditioned also but probably not worth it for cheap tools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Why DeWalt. They've changed batteries multiple times and have differing sizes even today.

Whereas the likes of Ryobi have not

Most 18v dewalt tools would take one of two battery types. Loads of dewalt tools out there. These seem like good quality batteries and available for €20 each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭kirving

As much as I like to invest in good tools, and have not problem paying for quality, it's hard to justify spending more on something you'll rarely use. Best advice I've come across is is - if you're not sure, buy the cheap tool first. If you don't use it, no big loss. If you use it and it breaks, then you've got your value out of it and you'll know exactly what you're looking for out of the good brand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Aldi (and Lidl) power tools are just fine for occasional DIY use in the home. They wouldn't be up to constant heavy professional use.

Aldi (and Lidl) power tools are just fine for occasional DIY use in the home. They wouldn't be up to constant heavy professional use.

Thats the reason I went with ALDI. I wouldnt ba able to justify buying a DeWalt or Makita etc. I'd be lucky if I used it once a month!

Alun wrote: »
    In my Aldi they have a locked glass display cabinet full to the brim with extra batteries. Too easy to steal, I guess.

I must check my local to see if they have the same. I didnt see any spare batteries to be honest. And hee box contents only shows one batt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

I must check my local to see if they have the same. I didnt see any spare batteries to be honest. And hee box contents only shows one batt

Manuel always show a website to source batteries and spare parts from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

lola85 wrote: »

A spanish website I assume? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭Cordell

As much as I like to invest in good tools, and have not problem paying for quality, it's hard to justify spending more on something you'll rarely use. Best advice I've come across is is - if you're not sure, buy the cheap tool first. If you don't use it, no big loss. If you use it and it breaks, then you've got your value out of it and you'll know exactly what you're looking for out of the good brand.

With rarely used tools the best way is to hire them, that is, unless they have Aldi quality tools for hire :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Cordell wrote: »
    With rarely used tools the best way is to hire them, that is, unless they have Aldi quality tools for hire :)

Last week I bought a cheap wall chaser as it was more expensive to hire one for a day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

A spanish website I assume? :)

:) Manual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,232 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I was looking at these in Aldi Cavan and there was definitely a good few spare batteries in the bins beside where they were stacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭Stigura

mloc123 wrote: »
    Last week I bought a cheap wall chaser as it was more expensive to hire one for a day...

Found that alright! :eek:

lola85 wrote: »

BAAAAAZIIIIIIIIILLLL!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

This from a UK consumer website...

FERREX tools are made by the same company that makes Worx tools. The company is called Positec (a Chinese based company) with branches here in the UK. They also make Rock well tools in America.

TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

Many years ago in my Electrical Contracting business I bought about 7 low-end cordless drills from a retailer with a very good returns policy. The lads were not impressed as they didn't have De Walt!
    The drills worked ok but they had a hard life, doing lots of drilling with holesaws. Any time a drill burned out, I would innocently bring it back to the retailer and get a free replacement. I must have got about 10 replacements!

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

Just bough a Ferrex Multitool, Fein type machine. Seems ok quality for what I need, lever for changing blades looks a bit weak but other that that it looks fine.
    I am looking for other blades, to use though. Aldi customer support recommend Ferrex blades, of course, but couldn't tell me what other brands might fit. Anyone got one of these machines and could tell be a compatible brand for blades?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

gears wrote: »
    Just bough a Ferrex Multitool, Fein type machine. Seems ok quality for what I need, lever for changing blades looks a bit weak but other that that it looks fine.
    I am looking for other blades, to use though. Aldi customer support recommend Ferrex blades, of course, but couldn't tell me what other brands might fit. Anyone got one of these machines and could tell be a compatible brand for blades?

If its the same set up as the Lidl multi tool with the 4 small guide pins, i have used Bosch and Stanley with no issues.

Bosch and Stanley. Ok thanks for that, I just don't want to spend €30 or so and it doesn't fit.

If you want multitool blades, buy them off AliExpress. best value out there and come in kits of 20+ with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭hesker

You can also buy an adapter to allow blades of a different make to be used. Can be a bit fiddly to get it to fit but it works

494135.JPG

I guess an adapter would make it more universal and avoid wasting money on the wrong fitting blades. Good idea. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,605 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

For a tool you'll only use occasionally, get the corded one. It'll be cheaper, more powerful and last longer, and the relative inconvenience of the mains cord won't be much of an issue.

A few years back I bought a cordless Dremel-type tool in Lidl - they didn't do a corded one at the time. It worked fine but because it was used so rarely, the battery was fecked before long. Later I bought the corded version of the same tool, the cord is not an inconvenience and I know I can let it sit in the shed for years and it'll still work when I need it. (And I got another whole set of tools/bits to fit it :) )

Similarly I bought a Makita 18V drill/driver about ten years ago, it was a great tool when new and got a good bit of use doing up the secondhand house we bought. Then it was let sit for years with little use, at this stage the batteries "charge up" in two minutes and last little more than that. But a drill/driver is one of the tools that benefits the most from being cordless and when it's in regular use it works well. A circ saw isn't used over your head or up a ladder, and demands a lot more power from its battery - and for DIYers gets very rarely used. That's the reason I got the cheapest possible "Performance Power" corded one in B&Q and it has always done the job for me. (And B&Q stand over their guarantee - unlike Bosch)

Before the Makita I had a Bosch green 24V drill/driver, after putting 600 screws into an OSB sub-floor it was close to being shagged out and didn't last much longer, the battery was fine but the bearings were fecked!! Won't buy Bosch green again under any circumstances.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

I've a Bosch green here that's gone through year and half home renovation. Not so much DIY more professional tough renovation , stud walls rafters flooring window Framing doors.

Hasn't missed a beat and still fires through concrete walls in hammer mode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭emaherx

For a tool you'll only use occasionally, get the corded one. It'll be cheaper, more powerful and last longer, and the relative inconvenience of the mains cord won't be much of an issue.

A few years back I bought a cordless Dremel-type tool in Lidl - they didn't do a corded one at the time. It worked fine but because it was used so rarely, the battery was fecked before long. Later I bought the corded version of the same tool, the cord is not an inconvenience and I know I can let it sit in the shed for years and it'll still work when I need it. (And I got another whole set of tools/bits to fit it :) )

Similarly I bought a Makita 18V drill/driver about ten years ago, it was a great tool when new and got a good bit of use doing up the secondhand house we bought. Then it was let sit for years with little use, at this stage the batteries "charge up" in two minutes and last little more than that. But a drill/driver is one of the tools that benefits the most from being cordless and when it's in regular use it works well. A circ saw isn't used over your head or up a ladder, and demands a lot more power from its battery - and for DIYers gets very rarely used. That's the reason I got the cheapest possible "Performance Power" corded one in B&Q and it has always done the job for me. (And B&Q stand over their guarantee - unlike Bosch)

Before the Makita I had a Bosch green 24V drill/driver, after putting 600 screws into an OSB sub-floor it was close to being shagged out and didn't last much longer, the battery was fine but the bearings were fecked!! Won't buy Bosch green again under any circumstances.

The issues you describe sound like ni-cad battery issues. I've a li-ion green Bosch bought in 2007 when I was building my house, was used heavily for 2 years and rarely ever since but it and it's batteries are still fine.

Li-ion batteries have no issue with being stored for long periods of time as long as they are stored charged, they even remain charged until they are needed again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭disposableFish

You need to take some care with li-ion batteries too.

Don't discharge them all the way - This is what kills them most, best to keep them regularly topped up

Take the batteries out of the tools when not in use - Many tools will keep drawing a current and you'll end up with the problem above.

Cold - It doesn't normally get cold enough to make a difference here, but best not to leave it on the charger in the shed on a frosty night. I normally keep/charge my batteries inside for the colder parts of the year just in case.

A li-ion battery is happiest at about 70-80% charge.

One difference between cheaper tools/batteries is how good the electronic controls on this stuff is.
    All tools will have overcharge protection (for basic safety) and most will have over-discharge protection (to stop you killing the battery with heavy use).

However, what often kills batteries is when one cell in the battery gets run down a lot more than the others - this one cell gets destroyed from having too low a charge and then your whole battery is screwed.
    More expensive tools/batteries usually have ways to help prevent this, and are usually better at preventing all of the other problems described. Cheaper tools in general will take a less conservative approach to battery management to help boost performance - but the battery can pay for this.

Fair enough, I don't think a cord on a multi-tool is much of an inconvenience.
    Similarly I bought a Makita ...it was let sit for years with little use, at this stage the batteries "charge up" in two minutes and last little more than that.
    I'm guessing it wasn't left charged and/or was left in the tool? see what I wrote above.

Before the Makita I had a Bosch green...Won't buy Bosch green again under any circumstances.
    I've used a lot of tools, from Hilti to the Argos value range - Bosch green is definitely the most over-rated range. Overall, they're no better than Lidl tools and at 4x the price.
    Personally, If you're not going to go for a Makita (etc.) quality tool (something that would be at home on a building site), then you're wasting your money with anything other than aldi/lidl (fwiw, I'm definitely including Ryobi in this).

Fair enough, I don't think a cord on a multi-tool is much of an inconvenience.

I'm guessing it wasn't left charged and/or was left in the tool? see what I wrote above.

I've used a lot of tools, from Hilti to the Argos value range - Bosch green is definitely the most over-rated range. Overall, they're no better than Lidl tools and at 4x the price.
    Personally, If you're not going to go for a Makita (etc.) quality tool (something that would be at home on a building site), then you're wasting your money with anything other than aldi/lidl (fwiw, I'm definitely including Ryobi in this).

Your sweeping statement at the end said it all. Guff...

I've a garage out there of everything from workzone aldi to cordless table saws DeWalt including bosch, Lidl ranges, Ryobi and I'm betweens.

Everything has its uses but to claim stuff between Aldi and makiti is crap .

Well then your obviously talking nonsense a boat load of it.

It's the classic " I only buy one brand so it's the best".
    See it on the motoring forum all the time.

Makita is **** compared to festool anyway.

• Advertisement

Everything has its uses but to claim stuff between Aldi and makiti is crap .

This sentence doesn't really make sense, but I specifically wasn't saying that aldi is as good ask Makita.

It's the classic " I only buy one brand so it's the best".
    See it on the motoring forum all the time.

Makita is **** compared to festool anyway.

I said "Makita (etc.)", I was just using them as an example. From this point up. There are plenty of other good (and better) brands out there, you know who they are.

My general point is that I would split things up into two categories -
    1.stuff like dealt/Makita/Milwaukee and up, stuff that's good quality and worth the money.
    2. Bosch green, black&decker, ryobi* etc. That are way down in terms of quality, and not really better than what you get in lidl. Considering they're about 3-4 times the price, that's shameful.

The price difference between category 1&2 isn't even that big (excluding festol/hilti), so buying anything in the second category is a mistake.

*(ryobi are admittedly the best of that group, but they're more expensive and still more marketing than substance. You can get a much better tool for your money)

This sentence doesn't really make sense, but I specifically wasn't saying that aldi is as good ask Makita.

No you said in a nutshell, if you can afford aldi its grand.

But dont bother buying anything between aldi and Makita. Makita is for professional site work and aldi is grand for anything else....

Im sure you understand the nonsense statement you made. and you even repeated it again in another post.

This is barstool level advice.

No you said in a nutshell, if you can afford aldi its grand.

But dont bother buying anything between aldi and Makita.
    This I did say and stand by it.
    It's pretty clear that different products are intended for different markets and their build quality reflects this - the price often doesn't. A bit of use make this clear - products like bosch-green often have a nicer "feel" to them than what you get in Lidl, but it's flash and no substance. There's little difference under the hood, but there's big differences when you get to the higher makes.

There's also a big difference between DeWalt and Hilti, but you wouldn't compare either of them to Aldi

Feel free to counter what I said with something to back your argument up, rather than just offering insults.
    Makita is for professional site work and aldi is grand for anything else....
    As in, they're built to be durable enough that they could be used in the rough-and-tumble of a building site without breaking within a couple of weeks.
    Just an example of an environment where the difference would show up quickly.
    I wouldn't say that they should only be used by professionals. Sure for a lot of people there probably isn't much point...but hey, it's their money and they're getting a good product.
    Im sure you understand the nonsense statement you made. and you even repeated it again in another post.

This is barstool level advice.
    I genuinely have no idea what you're basing this on.

Basing it on you can't make stupid broad statements like any tool brand between Aldi and Makita shouldn't be bought.

It's just.... Well a stupid argument.

• Advertisement

Basing it on you can't make stupid broad statements like any tool brand between Aldi and Makita shouldn't be bought.

It's just.... Well a stupid argument.

...that's your opinion, back it up with something.

How is the massive increase in cost justified with little difference in product?

...that's your opinion, back it up with something.

How is the massive increase in cost justified with little difference in product?

Sorry I'm not bothered anymore. Good luck.

Clearly you don't have a breeze about tool ranges. What models Aldi or Lidl actually do or tools built for application.

Tiring talking to someone with such a ridiculous viewpoint. I suppose you call Fiat's fix it again Tony's...

Lol.

Bye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Just for anyone waiting for the ferrex cordless circular saw they have it in stock at the moment and not listed on the website.
    It's a 40v body only and it's €40. It was the one thing I was waiting on and delighted I just got it by chance in the santry store.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

ive had a aldi workzone cordless drill for about 5 years. great , battery lasts more than long enough and about a 5th the price of a Makita. buy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

deandean wrote: »
    Many years ago in my Electrical Contracting business I bought about 7 low-end cordless drills from a retailer with a very good returns policy. The lads were not impressed as they didn't have De Walt!
    The drills worked ok but they had a hard life, doing lots of drilling with holesaws. Any time a drill burned out, I would innocently bring it back to the retailer and get a free replacement. I must have got about 10 replacements!

and now your local hardware has closed down

Advertisement