Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Holiday" to Galway. I got a heart attack at hotel prices. Any good deals?

• 29-08-2019 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Myself and the missus were thinking of heading up to Galway for a weekend. My eyes were watering at the hotel prices. Close to €300 to stay for a Friday and Saturday, then there's another few hundred for restaurants and petrol and driving around Connemara etc. etc.

I'm not looking at 5 star hotels, just somewhere that isn't granny style. Even Travelodge, the least romantic Ryanair of hotels is €300 for a weekend. I used to live in Galway so just can't drop that much cash to see it for the 679th time.

We are now considering doing a foreign weekend away instead, but before we do that - are there any good "secret" hotel deal sites that I could look at? I've just been looking at tripadvisor, which of course searches all the other well known hotel sites.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

KevRossi wrote: »
    Try hotels.com and bookings.com as well. Sort prices based on price, the cheapest ones are not always at the top.

What weekend are you going? Is there some big event on that weekend that has everything booked out?
    I've tried every weekend in september. Tripadvisor also searches booking.com and hotels.com.

I know that place, used to live beside it. It's desperate!

As I said I was looking for somewhere that isn't granny style. The rooms literally look like somebody's granny died inside there:

https://r-cf.bstatic.com/images/hotel/max1024x768/150/150872803.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Galway, unfortuately, is not alone in having high hotel prices but it is up there with some of the highest in the country AFAIK.

Ireland in general can be shockingly expensive depending where you wish to go.

Personally I couldn't justify the spend when a weekend abroad, including flights, can be got for close to the price of just a hotel here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Have a look at www.mydealpage.ie & filter by short breaks and you should get a good deal there, usually are mid week and you pay supplement for Sat night, but you could get a Thur & Fri night for good price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

More often than not, those booking sites are more expensive in my experience. I was booking a hotel for Madrid and when I checked their own website it was half the price! Of course not only do they charge hotels for using it, they add on a bit extra on top.

Supervalu and Lidl have hotel break websites, they're not bad. You could try Guest Houses or BnBs either for the more personal touch?

• Advertisement

Supervalu and Lidl have hotel break websites, they're not bad. You could try Guest Houses or BnBs either for the more personal touch?

I've actually never stayed in a b&b. Is it ok for couples? I don't want to be waking up proprietor Biddy Murphy when we come in from the pub at 2am.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭LennieB

SuperValu deals can be good - also places like the Maldron Oranmore give you €10/night off if you just register on their site and book online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

You may be clashing with the race meeting on sep 16.17 or Oct 8__26..27 & 28th
    Anyway I find hotel prices are gone back to boom prices. terrible value for what we're getting.. we got into the habit lately of leaving out the breakfast and having something ourselves in the room means we can lie in on our break
    Going to Inis meain early sep for quiet 3 days ourselves

LennieB wrote: »
    SuperValu deals can be good - also places like the Maldron Oranmore give you €10/night off if you just register on their site and book online.

Will check supervalu deals.

I've stayed in the Maldron Oranmore before - just a bit too far out if we want to go into town for pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hotel prices in Ireland do not reflect Irish wages. Rip off.

• Advertisement

I've stayed in the Maldron Oranmore before - just a bit too far out if we want to go into town for pints.

Oranmore Lodge is actually fab, got a deal for my mother there not too long ago. Boathouse restaurant is gorgeous for a fancy meal too. Taxi back to Oranmore is no distance ;)

I've actually never stayed in a b&b. Is it ok for couples? I don't want to be waking up proprietor Biddy Murphy when we come in from the pub at 2am.

I guess it depends on the place but you can find some really lovely ones. The breakfast is always better!

I forgot to mention after having a heart attack from the hotel prices I then went onto Airbnb and had a stroke.

Serious money to be made from renting out rooms and flats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Myself and the missus were thinking of heading up to Galway for a weekend. My eyes were watering at the hotel prices. Close to €300 to stay for a Friday and Saturday, then there's another few hundred for restaurants and petrol and driving around Connemara etc. etc.

I'm not looking at 5 star hotels, just somewhere that isn't granny style. Even Travelodge, the least romantic Ryanair of hotels is €300 for a weekend. I used to live in Galway so just can't drop that much cash to see it for the 679th time.

We are now considering doing a foreign weekend away instead, but before we do that - are there any good "secret" hotel deal sites that I could look at? I've just been looking at tripadvisor, which of course searches all the other well known hotel sites.

It must be a long time ago since you booked a hotel in Ireland ?? :confused:

You won't get to stay in a piss soaked Portacabin in a travellers halting site anywhere in Ireland for less than €100 per night. You are getting 2 nights for two people on a weekend for €300 in one of the most popular holiday cities in Ireland. You are actually doing OK auld stock.

Whatever you do, don't go into a convenience shop and buy a single pack of Tayto.... :eek: the price will probably give you a brain hemorrhage entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I forgot to mention after having a heart attack from the hotel prices I then went onto Airbnb and had a stroke.

Serious money to be made from renting out rooms and flats.
    Some real hungers here in galway
    Some of em rent to students during the week an get them to pack up their stuff on Friday an rent the room on air B&B for the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Take a look at Love Holiday's website, put your dates in and pick which country you want to visit, and it will do the research

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

€300 for 2 people in galway city over the weekend .
    That works out at €75 per person per night .
    What did you expect it for ?
    A lot of Irish people don't understand how expensive it is to do business here .
    Minimum wage / rents on premises / insurance / rates / paying suppliers ... Hotels are in business to make a profit .
    If you don't like what they charge .... Move on .... Into a caravan ... There's a few caravan sites in salthill or stay in a hostel .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

fdevine wrote: »
    Galway, unfortuately, is not alone in having high hotel prices but it is up there with some of the highest in the country AFAIK.

Ireland in general can be shockingly expensive depending where you wish to go.

Personally I couldn't justify the spend when a weekend abroad, including flights, can be got for close to the price of just a hotel here.

Ireland has definitely gotten more expensive over the last few years. I said to my Mom that its starting to make NY look cheap.

€300 for 2 people in galway city over the weekend .
    That works out at €75 per person per night .
    What did you expect it for ?
    A lot of Irish people don't understand how expensive it is to do business here .
    Minimum wage / rents on premises / insurance / rates / paying suppliers ... Hotels are in business to make a profit .
    If you don't like what they charge .... Move on .... Into a caravan ... There's a few caravan sites in salthill or stay in a hostel .

What I'd expect, and what I got only last week, for €75 p.p.p.n is a Junior Suite in a 4* city centre hotel in a major European capital with free minibar & breakfast included. Flights were not much more expensive than the train to Cork but that's another day's rant......

I'm pretty sure most people understand that it's expensive to own, run & do business in Ireland, but your misplaced hostility towards those who suggest that the consequential cost of a staycation or weekend away is ridiculaously expensive only reinforces the notion to go abroad.

The OP was looking for advice that doesn't include suck it up or GTFO.

• Advertisement

What I'd expect, and what I got only last week, for €75 p.p.p.n is a Junior Suite in a 4* city centre hotel in a major European capital with free minibar & breakfast included. Flights were not much more expensive than the train to Cork but that's another day's rant......

I'm pretty sure most people understand that it's expensive to own, run & do business in Ireland, but your misplaced hostility towards those who suggest that the consequential cost of a staycation or weekend away is ridiculaously expensive only reinforces the notion to go abroad.

The OP was looking for advice that doesn't include suck it up or GTFO.

So your now comparing prices of hotels etc in different countries ???
    You obviously do not know the costs of running a business in different countries .
    Other countries do not have the minimum wage we do .
    Other countries do not pay the high rents that other hotels have to pay owners of that property here .
    Other countries do not pay the high insurance costs caused in many cases by fraudenient claims here .
    Other countries..... Your comparing apples to oranges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,973 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I'm looking at hotels in Boston at the moment.
    Galway prices listed above seem very reasonable by comparison.

Does that not work out at €75/person per night?

Is that heart attack territory?

ive stayed abroad and ive stayed at home and the standard here compares well most of the time at the price point.

cue "i stayed at the court of the king of spain last week for a euro including chips" away with ya ta spain so enjoy the chips

I'm looking at hotels in Boston at the moment.
    Galway prices listed above seem very reasonable by comparison.

Does that not work out at €75/person per night?

Is that heart attack territory?

Exactly.... I can get you a hotel in Vietnam for €25 per night .
    Try getting a room in Dublin this all Ireland weekend .
    It's all about .... Supply and demand .
    If you don't like the prices for anything or to stay anywhere ... Guess what
    Don't pay it .
    Irish people moaning about prices .
    No one is forcing you to pay for anything .
    It's obvious some people can't afford certain things .
    Such is life .
    There's plenty I can't afford but this constant moaning about prices of things in Ireland .
    During race week in galway I was listening to galway people giving out about hotel rates ???
    They live here .
    They won't be staying in the hotels .

It's like the lads that go to Spain .
    " I can get a pint for a euro "
    Ya and he spends 3 of the 7 days on the jacks ****ting shoelaces .

Galway is a bit of a rip-off.
    Not much in it really.
    Have any of the hotels got a swing.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Go for pints in oranmore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭elderberry

How about the Ardilaun? Go to www.selecthotelsireland.com > use promo code "sel2for1" > get 2 nights B&B for €199 > that's for a Fri & Sat but availability changes by the weekend you pick

I knew the moaners and whingers would come along .. took ye a while though. Actually I was expecting the first reply to be 'AH FECK OFF WHAT DO YOU EXPECT ETC ETC." I would prefer if ye didn't reply at all actually. My question was about hotel deals, I wasn't looking for people to maon and complain.

I just think €500 on a weekend away in my own country and ex-city is expensive yes. €300 for a sh!tty Travelodge hotel plus a potential €200 on food and pints and petrol etc. I would usually rough it in a hostel but I've a girlfriend.
    elderberry wrote: »
    How about the Ardilaun? Go to www.selecthotelsireland.com > use promo code "sel2for1" > get 2 nights B&B for €199 > that's for a Fri & Sat but availability changes by the weekend you pick

Many thanks. Just under €200 and it's a decent spot. That's more like it.

• Advertisement

I knew the moaners and whingers would come along .. took ye a while though. Actually I was expecting the first reply to be 'AH FECK OFF WHAT DO YOU EXPECT ETC ETC." I would prefer if ye didn't reply at all actually. My question was about hotel deals, I wasn't looking for people to maon and complain.

I just think €500 on a weekend away in my own country and ex-city is expensive yes. €300 for a sh!tty Travelodge hotel plus a potential €200 on food and pints and petrol etc. I would usually rough it in a hostel but I've a girlfriend.

Did you read your starting post bud .
    The first moan was on your part about galway hotel rates .
    so you normally stay in hostels ?
    That's why you find hotels expensive .

Did you read your starting post bud .
    The first moan was on your part about galway hotel rates .
    so you normally stay in hostels ?
    That's why you find hotels expensive .

I'm not your bud you eejit.

And Travelodge for €300 is not good value whether you're a millionaire or not.

I knew when i started this thread somebody would come along to derail it. Classic boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭westgolf

Glen oaks closed up for last 18 months so you are getting bad info from the website.

Thought the Rio was now a private residence so can't comment on that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,973 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You'd be better off on Facebook maybe, this is a discussion board.
    Lucky girl, being treated to a weekend away, no expense spared. Actually, scratch that last bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Exactly.... I can get you a hotel in Vietnam for €25 per night .
    Try getting a room in Dublin this all Ireland weekend .
    It's all about .... Supply and demand .
    If you don't like the prices for anything or to stay anywhere ... Guess what
    Don't pay it .
    Irish people moaning about prices .
    No one is forcing you to pay for anything .
    It's obvious some people can't afford certain things .
    Such is life .
    There's plenty I can't afford but this constant moaning about prices of things in Ireland .
    During race week in galway I was listening to galway people giving out about hotel rates ???
    They live here .
    They won't be staying in the hotels .

Your entire premise would make sense if not for the effective tax break the hotels have got for the last how many years. And the absolute sub par wages they pay staff.

9% wasn't it...

Can you explain why there was a rush of money into buying and building hotels in Ireland for the last ten years.

Il give you a reason. It was a bloody gold rush. Rip off prices and low expenditure.

Over to you seabreeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

He/She has a girlfriend.

• Advertisement

Ah lister mint you and jackiechang should invest in one of those cheap 2 man tents that aldi sell .
    Get yer selves down to a field in galway and have a great cheap weekend .
    Leave the hotels to the people that can afford it and understand that €75 per might per person isn't a rip off .
    While in aldi pick up a bottle of cheap wine .
    Sure it's a win win .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Crazy money. The rip off Republic is alive and well.

You'd be better off on Facebook maybe, this is a discussion board.
    Lucky girl, being treated to a weekend away, no expense spared. Actually, scratch that last bit.

I said in my first post I'm probably going to spend my money abroad instead. It's about value, not the price. So now she's getting a foreign holiday for the same price as a sh!tty Travelodge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

I got a great deal to Lisbon using Expedia.ie. Paid just under €500 for a 3 night weekend break in a 4 star hotel (that’s flights & accommodation for 2!).

Paid €170 each for the same deal to Gdańsk (Ryanair and booked Direct with hotel).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭littlevillage

I said in my first post I'm probably going to spend my money abroad instead. It's about value, not the price. So now she's getting a foreign holiday for the same price as a sh!tty Travelodge.

Bon voyage Scrooge McDuck

489452.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Christ, there’s some obnoxious posts on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

It's about value, not the price. So now she's getting a foreign holiday for the same price as a sh!tty Travelodge.

Really ? :confused:

All you have talked about since opening this thread is the price of everything. This is the first mention of 'value'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭NewClareman

The b&b’s in College road used to be fantastic, as nice as any hotel. It’s been years since I stayed in one, but I can’t see them having changed that much. (You get a key to let yourself in. 🙂)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭NewClareman

elderberry wrote: »

This is the best value hotel we found in Galway, for a couples weekend away, earlier this year. Not a lot going on there, so you might need to factor in taxis into town @ around €10. There is a bus service every half hour, during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Have you tried staying in Dublin recently??? We paid 100 Euro for a private dingy HOSTEL room on a Wednesday night in May this year. There was no decent hotel room under 200 Euro a night. And we had booked this a few months beforehand, not just on a whim. Closer to the time it was even more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

I can understand both sides but honestly, if it's your own hard cash you're parting with you won't care about differences in costs etc when you can get a descent hotel in Portugal for €32 per night (October) and my local is looking for €150 for the same standard, *neither is city based, neither would be particularly 'touristy' high demand places so it's a like for like scenario on that front

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

The Tiger never left the hospitality industry in Ireland.

... and understand that €75 per might per person isn't a rip off.

€75-€100 per ROOM isn't a rip-off. €75 per person for a Travelodge or equivalent anywhere is.....

FWIW the 4* hotel junior suite with free mini bar & expansive breakfast I stayed in for €300 last week was in Berlin where rent & property prices are also pretty damn high.

And, FWIW, the minimum wage in Germany is higher than here :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Did you not apply the ‘ex resident’ discount code?

€75-€100 per ROOM isn't a rip-off. €75 per person for a Travelodge or equivalent anywhere is.....

FWIW the 4* hotel junior suite with free mini bar & expansive breakfast I stayed in for €300 last week was in Berlin where rent & property prices are also pretty damn high.

And, FWIW, the minimum wage in Germany is higher than here :rolleyes:

Fdevine.... The original poster has been given information that the ardilaun hotel can be got for €199 for 2 nights for 2 people .
    Its a 4 star hotel .
    Your hardly suggesting €50 per night per person is expensive ?
    At this rate some people on here will want to be paid to stay in galways hotels .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement