Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Activists plan to ground flights with drones

Options
  • 29-08-2019 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭petros1980

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/aug/29/heathrow-activists-fly-drones-attempt-ground-flights

I'm fully in agreement with increased efforts to combat climate change. I think however that these efforts should be directed towards specific policy issues rather than just general protesting with bongos and colorful flags. Extinction Rebellion shutting down roads in Central London was annoying but tolerable (as a London resident). But the likes of these activists planning to fly gangs of drones in restricted air space in Heathrow are taking the piss - disrupting peoples lives and putting people in danger. Hope they get arrested straight away and jailed for a good while. Bunch of idiots, not a job between them I'd say.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

That's the way to do it, give the authorities a good oul heads up on your plans

Fcuking scruffy smelly ****e hair cut squatters the lot of them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Selfish d*ckheads with no consideration or respect for anyone else's circumstances.
    I'm sympathetic to their cause, but that sympathy goes out the window when their self-indulgent, arrogant actions inconvenience and potentially endanger so many other people.

If they go through with it I hope they are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Absolute idiots.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Selfish d*ckheads with no consideration or respect for anyone else's circumstances.
    I'm sympathetic to their cause, but that sympathy goes out the window when their self-indulgent, arrogant actions inconvenience and potentially endanger so many other people.

If they go through with it I hope they are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Absolute idiots.

Not endangering anyone:

"The group said the small, lightweight drones would not be flown above head height or on flight paths, and activists planned to fly them within the three-mile (5km) exclusion zone surrounding the airport."

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Not endangering anyone:

"The group said the small, lightweight drones would not be flown above head height or on flight paths, and activists planned to fly them within the three-mile (5km) exclusion zone surrounding the airport."

So they say, but they're clearly a bit unhinged.
    They are already crossing a boundary so what's to stop them going above head height or onto a flight path if they so wished? The potential is there. They could easily do it.
    Its still endangering & inconveniencing people who are just minding their own business

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The activists said they would meet police and airport authorities on Friday to discuss their plans.
    Good, then they can be rounded up and sent to HMP Isle of Wight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Nothing like activists blocking roads and causing congestion with cars sitting for hours running and burning fuel as a good way to combat climate change.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

From 13 September, we will exploit a loophole in Heathrow airport’s health and safety protocols and fly toy drones within its restricted zone

Huh? What loophole are they exploiting? They're just contravening the regulations in order to cause the stated consequences of the health and safety protocols, and expect to be punished for it in line with the regulations. That's not exploiting a loophole. If they were exploiting a loophole, they'd be getting away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Nothing like activists blocking roads and causing congestion with cars sitting for hours running and burning fuel as a good way to combat climate change.....

Or flying drones that were flown or shipped half way round the world

• Registered Users Posts: 83,514 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I’m not fundamentally opposed to civil disobedience but this just sounds confusing and asinine. ‘We are exploiting a loophole but we are going to be arrested,’ ‘nobody will be in danger but we are intent on grounding flights’

What’s the enemy here, carbon emissions? Have they learned about utility and efficiency? Like, planes full of people getting from A to B is actually reasonably efficient travel; grounding those planes and causing planes to loiter on the ground just burns up fuel for really no benefit. These folks will all have to reschedule or divert and will fly anyway or use a less efficient means of travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,737 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Shoot them down.

* And I'm not just talking about the drones.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

Why don't they go after the multinational corporations who are actually destroying this planet. The general public are an easy target. Imagine you had to fly home or somewhere for a family emergency and these clowns got your flight cancelled.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Why don't they go after the multinational corporations who are actually destroying this planet. The general public are an easy target. Imagine you had to fly home or somewhere for a family emergency and these clowns got your flight cancelled.

It's a very counterproductive move.
    AFAIK, this does not have support from XR, but organised by a splinter group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

petros1980 wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/aug/29/heathrow-activists-fly-drones-attempt-ground-flights

I'm fully in agreement with increased efforts to combat climate change. I think however that these efforts should be directed towards specific policy issues rather than just general protesting with bongos and colorful flags. Extinction Rebellion shutting down roads in Central London was annoying but tolerable (as a London resident). But the likes of these activists planning to fly gangs of drones in restricted air space in Heathrow are taking the piss - disrupting peoples lives and putting people in danger. Hope they get arrested straight away and jailed for a good while. Bunch of idiots, not a job between them I'd say.

They should be charged with attempted murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,514 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They should be charged with attempted murder.

That’s a leap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Look up the radio chatter for air traffic control. A interaction where the possible consequences of miss communication or carelessness is huge. Countless audio and video of near misses, and of planes having to be diverted last second.

And these people are adding to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Cyclical Apocalypses

Fair play to them. I hope they cause massive disruption. The time for arguing about climate change is over, it's time we took action and I fully support any group that brings the public's attention to this existential threat that we all face.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I hate activists and twitter(the tool of the fool IMO), I used to think I liked everyone but over the last few years these morons just keep doing the most stupidest of things. The world is not perfect and never will be, find religion or whatever else you are missing and abandon these feeble attempts at changing the world.

Fair play to them. I hope they cause massive disruption. The time for arguing about climate change is over, it's time we took action and I fully support any group that brings the public's attention to this existential threat that we all face.

Inconveniencing people by costing them time and money is a sure fire way to discourage ANY cause garnering public support.

There are people who could be travelling for family emergencies whose flights will be grounded thanks to these self important idiots. They are scum.

Inconveniencing people by costing them time and money is a sure fire way to discourage ANY cause garnering public support.

There are people who could be travelling for family emergencies whose flights will be grounded thanks to these self important idiots. They are scum.

So we shouldn't do anything just because 0.1% of people travelling may need to get to a destination more quickly. Last time I checked the Eurotunnel was still in operation, so those choosing to go to holiday in Europe could always take the train hardly a major sacrifice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

I don’t like them but not do I like this argument. Multinational companies after all produce stuff for us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

We are all aware of it. This wouldn’t help.

So we shouldn't do anything just because 0.1% of people travelling may need to get to a destination more quickly. Last time I checked the Eurotunnel was still in operation, so those choosing to go to holiday in Europe could always take the train hardly a major sacrifice.

There are other methods of making a point without f*cking up the plans of thousands of innocent people.
    You don't know people's individual circumstances, it might be a massive sacrifice for them.
    This group causing disruption is extremely unfair on the people they will be causing massive inconvenience to, and it certainly won't endear anyone to their mission.

It smacks of self important arrogance that they even feel entitled to do such a thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

There are other methods of making a point without f*cking up the plans of thousands of innocent people.
    You don't know people's individual circumstances, it might be a massive sacrifice for them.
    This group causing disruption is extremely unfair on the people they will be causing massive inconvenience to, and it certainly won't endear anyone to their mission.

It smacks of self important arrogance that they even feel entitled to do such a thing.

That's what the sjw's and eco warriors love doing the most, manipulation of their wasteful life and spreading the ****edupism to the general public....

Narcissism of the highest order...

Are they right wing or leftards ?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭petros1980

Wise up, twat

Sure just ban air travel then, sounds like it's what you want, don't hide behind weasel words.

In the real world, these clowns should be in prison.

You're right, I won't hide behind my words (not that I have ever done that) . I believe air travel over short distances should be curtailed and I find it deeply unethical that to this day. There is no tax levied against aviation fuel and believe flying is a privilege, not an absolute right, especially where there are more sustainable options available.

You're right, I won't hide behind my words (not that I have ever done that) . I believe air travel over short distances should be curtailed and I find it deeply unethical that to this day. There is no tax levied against aviation fuel and believe flying is a privilege, not an absolute right, especially where there are more sustainable options available.

The activists if they cause disruption will disrupt all flights, there will be no discrimination on destination. Your comments about the train are neither here nor there in relation to this protest.

These kind of antics are far beyond unethical, they are dangerous, reckless and immoral and should be responded to as such by the police and security services.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The activists if they cause disruption will disrupt all flights, there will be no discrimination on destination. Your comments about the train are neither here nor there in relation to this protest.

These kind of antics are far beyond unethical, they are dangerous, reckless and immoral and should be responded to as such by the police and security services.

What's wrong with a temporary disruption to all of the flights? I highly doubt anyone will die as a result, and my comments about taking the train are perfectly relevant as that's an option that will remain open for those who absolutely need to travel to Europe for some reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

I suppose you're not one of those eco surfer's who's no problem flying to Indonesia for sunning your hole in November..

I've come across a few of those knobs...

But they've always an excuse....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Although I am fully behind a campaign to wind down the aviation industry and especially wind down Dublin airport I think using drones is completely unsafe and not to be supported.

Advertisement