Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Activists plan to ground flights with drones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,737 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What's wrong with a temporary disruption to all of the flights? I highly doubt anyone will die as a result, and my comments about taking the train are perfectly relevant as that's an option that will remain open for those who absolutely need to travel to Europe for some reason.

And people flying further afield, let them eat cake? Your train and ferry comment is up there with that.

I don't know on what basis I need to call out what's wrong with disrupting the lives of thousands of other people in a vanity stunt. If it has not already occurred to you why this is wrong, you probably need to look in the mirror.

So let's flip it and say what's wrong with temporary disruption to the liberty of dangerous terrorists?
    That's what these cretins are.

Your "I highly doubt anyone will die as a result" should be treated with the contempt it deserves.
    If the police crack down on these terrorists, you'll have to hope "I highly doubt anyone will die as a result" applies to them too.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Cyclical Apocalypses

nthclare wrote: »
    I suppose you're not one of those eco surfer's who's no problem flying to Indonesia for sunning your hole in November..

I've come across a few of those knobs...

But they've always an excuse....

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not a hypocrite. I don't go to England or the continent that often, but when I do I always take the most eco-friendly way possible. So from here. That means a train to Dublin, then catch the boat and then more trains until I get to my destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

What's wrong with a temporary disruption to all of the flights? I highly doubt anyone will die as a result, and my comments about taking the train are perfectly relevant as that's an option that will remain open for those who absolutely need to travel to Europe for some reason.

Perhaps try to think of it from the perspective of people who will be effected, instead of the self interested point of view you currently hold.

FWIW I know of a couple who were travelling to Portugal to get married the last time these gobsh*tes were up to their antics.
    They arrived the week before, so they were fine. But easily 50% of the guests, who were travelling a day or two beforehand, missed the wedding due to their flights being grounded and not being able to come up with an alternative route in time. The brides sister & bridesmaid and the grooms grandparents were among those who missed the special day.

Their wedding was ruined, the bride spent most of the day crying, not to mention the expense of paying for a reception party of which half the guests were missing.

But what's wrong with a temporory disruption to flights, amirite?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,514 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You're right, I won't hide behind my words (not that I have ever done that) . I believe air travel over short distances should be curtailed and I find it deeply unethical that to this day. There is no tax levied against aviation fuel and believe flying is a privilege, not an absolute right, especially where there are more sustainable options available.

Well Ireland doesn't exactly have any way for people to drive to and from it... an aviation fuel tax is a tax on all tourism in and out, imports, and exports. UK is only a slightly better situation with shorter ferry routes and the euro-tunnel to the mainland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Cyclical Apocalypses

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Perhaps try to think of it from the perspective of people who will be effected, instead of the self interested point of view you currently hold.

FWIW I know of a couple who were travelling to Portugal to get married the last time these gobsh*tes were up to their antics.
    They arrived the week before, so they were fine. But easily 50% of the guests, including the brides sister/bridesmaid & grooms grandparents missed the wedding due to their flights being grounded and not being able to come up with an alternative route in time.

Their wedding was ruined, the bride spent most of the day crying, not to mention the expense of paying for a reception party of which half the guests were missing.

But what's wrong with a temporory disruption to flights, amirite?

I do think of others and care probably a bit too much. But anyway, I don't believe it's right for the environment to be permanently damaged just to fulfil people's wants and make no mistake, the vast majority of people flying on a day-to-day basis are doing it because they want to, not because it's life or death if they don't.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. It must have been terrible for half the guests to be missing. And I bet they had to pay regardless. But why couldn't they have got married at home? Perhaps they would have had to have had a slightly smaller event, but in a few years who will really care about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The fact they're starting at 3 am the first day makes me wonder if they're only planning on doing it during periods where there are no scheduled flights (something like from half 11 to 7 am)? If that's the case maybe there will be very little disruption. Or maybe they plan on doing it at any time, the article doesn't specify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Hope they don’t ground any plane that yer wan Greta is on. Wouldn’t do for her to miss an important meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Hope they don’t ground any plane that yer wan Greta is on. Wouldn’t do for her to miss an important meeting.

Greta is a hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Greta is a hero.

Exactly. The last think the world needs is her flight being delayed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not a hypocrite. I don't go to England or the continent that often, but when I do I always take the most eco-friendly way possible. So from here. That means a train to Dublin, then catch the boat and then more trains until I get to my destination.

Sorry but you're a hypocrite, the train by proxy is generating a lot of waste....

Walking might be better for you...

Oops someone knocked them off their roost, fly with the crows and you'll get shot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    It's a very counterproductive move.
    AFAIK, this does not have support from XR, but organised by a splinter group.
    Ah the splinter groups already!:D

If ppl are interested this is my partial solution

Flat tax on all air fares(50 euro on existing fares seems to be sweet spot)
    Tax on the airlines
    Tax on the daa and other airports
    Absolutely no new routes and reduce the existing routes into Dublin
    Green tax on income

Happy to cut taxes once carbon neutral aviation solution is introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

petros1980 wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/aug/29/heathrow-activists-fly-drones-attempt-ground-flights

I'm fully in agreement with increased efforts to combat climate change. I think however that these efforts should be directed towards specific policy issues rather than just general protesting with bongos and colorful flags. Extinction Rebellion shutting down roads in Central London was annoying but tolerable (as a London resident). But the likes of these activists planning to fly gangs of drones in restricted air space in Heathrow are taking the piss - disrupting peoples lives and putting people in danger. Hope they get arrested straight away and jailed for a good while. Bunch of idiots, not a job between them I'd say.

its okay though cause im not flying any time soon.

/ thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

If ppl are interested this is my partial solution

Flat tax on all air fares(50 euro on existing fares seems to be sweet spot)
    Tax on the airlines
    Tax on the daa and other airports
    Absolutely no new routes and reduce the existing routes into Dublin
    Green tax on income

Happy to cut taxes once carbon neutral aviation solution is introduced.

50 euro isn’t going to change much and unless these taxes are ringfenced they are not going to do much for green tech.

50 euro isn’t going to change much and unless these taxes are ringfenced they are not going to do much for green tech.

It will make ppl think twice about frivolous flights booked on a whim

How does one distinguish between a frivolous and non-frivolous flight?

is_that_so wrote: »
    How does one distinguish between a frivolous and non-frivolous flight?

The 50 added on top of the fare will make ppl think twice.

The 50 added on top of the fare will make ppl think twice.
    It will affect people coming in as well but that's only frivolous tourism!

It will affect people coming in as well but that's only frivolous tourism!

I don’t think you realise how serious the climate emergency is

I don’t think you realise how serious the climate emergency is
    I don't think you realise the real world effects of your plan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

We badly need another recession so the militant eco warriors revert back to their other form, militant people before profit types. Although I don't know which is worse.

I don't think you realise the real world effects of your plan.

You are underestimating the level of research I’ve done

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If your targeting Planes or airports with drones nowadays it should be treated as a serious act and threat.

You are underestimating the level of research I’ve done
    It's not in evidence anywhere on this thread.

Danzy wrote: »
    If your targeting Planes or airports with drones nowadays it should be treated as a serious act and threat.

Agree

As much as a green tax advocate I am

I Do NOT agree with sending drones up to aircraft landing or taking off. Too dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Bums the lot of them. Get a job.

As far as I know even a bird can cause havoc to a jet engine

A drone ???

Fcukin hell lads get a grip

Not really. Most flights are now 100+ anyway.

I’d have a voucher system myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Cheap flights opened up the world to the working class

The left and their spinoffs are no friends of the working class today

• Advertisement

Cheap flights opened up the world to the working class

The left and their spinoffs are no friends of the working class today

It’s all stick and no carrot as I said. We’d also lose a lot of our immigrants who aren’t going to want to take 2 days here and back to Poland

Ireland should in fact get an exemption for flights and taxes/vouchers even if the rest of Europe manages to get cross continent high speed rail.

Advertisement