Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"And why do we fall Bruce?"

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice work going on for sure.

But wait, what, you can't watch TV for fear of spoiling the game? Something's wrong with today's media. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Feb 6th- An easy 8 miles with some 20 second strides after the halfway point.

Feb 8th- Session day- 20 mins followed by 4 by 5 mins.

Similar conditions to last week but wind wasn't quite as strong. Said I'd aim for same paces as last week but run more on effort. So that called for 20 mins at 6:10 pace to start with after a 20 minute warm up. Effort levels went straight out the window and i continued my martyrdom to paces instead! Slightly on the pacy side but got in with splits of 6:06, 6:08, 6:08 and 6:05 for the quarter mile at the end. Mix of running with a head and a tail wind.

5 minute recovery and then into the 5 minute efforts at 6:00/mile pace with 3 minute recoveries. Only a 10 second pace differential but still a noticeable increase in effort. One of those where 300 seconds never felt so long and the recovery 180 seconds is over before you know it! First couple of reps were fine but definitely feeling it in the last 2. The reps came in at 5:58, 5:59, 5:59 and 6:01. Slow 20 minute shuffle home to finish up.

A toughie but glad i pushed it back 24 hours after clocking up 27k steps in wellingtons the previous day, that would have been a massacre!

Feb 9th- Easy 8 miles after work, legs not too bad.

Feb 10th- Long run incl. 60 mins at 6:45/mile pace.

Bit apprehensive about this one with the short window between it and speed session on Wednesday but my wife was on long days over the weekend so it was now or never. Had meant to charge my watch when i got up but it totally slipped my mind so stepped out the back door and straight away its at 10% battery life. I'm one of those people that don't fill the car until the trip computer is telling me the range left is now 0 miles so said I'd chance it.

Usual 30 minute warm up with late strides brought me just short of 4 miles and then into the faster stuff. I knew the pace would have me just short of 9 miles for the 60 minute effort so just mentally split it into 3 mile sections. First 3 miles were mainly into the wind so wasn't too enjoyable. For whatever reason i always find the early miles the toughest of these runs, not sure why as the warm up and strides should be sufficient. The second 3 miles brought me up the old N5 which i had all to myself with a mix of a sideways and a tailwind. All going fine heading into the last 3 miles, watch holding on bravely! At the start of the 8th mile it beeped at me alright and while i was hoping it was maybe a 5% battery life warning it was telling me it was going into battery saver mode. Just over a mile later it gave up the ghost telling me it was saving the activity before dying. Just about 5 minutes left of the 60 minutes so just kept running but no idea if i kept the pace in line at 6:45/mile pace. The splits ranged from 6:39 to 6:46.

No easy runs over the weekend as was too awkward to arrange with my wife working and kids activities. Ya would miss it though!

Feb 14th- 8 miles easy with 10 x 20 second strides just past the halfway point while on lunch break from the office.

Feb 15th- Session Day 8 x 5 mins @5:55/mile pace.

Had to smile when i read @Laineyfrecks log update yesterday about the anxious feeling of looking at a session on paper before doing it, definitely something I feel on a twice weekly basis!

For third week in a row it was flipping windy for this session. Usual 20 minute warm up and strides before starting into the intervals. I dropped the target pace/mile down a further 5 seconds from last week to 5:55. First 5 minute interval is very much into the wind, end result- target pace hit but the last 60 seconds was a form of torture. The 3 minute recovery is spent thinking have i bitten off more than i can chew with these paces and how am i going to get through 7 more!

Thankfully the body adjusts to the initial shock and each of the next 5 or so intervals gets slightly "easier". The last 2 are tough and I'm really feeling it for the last 100 seconds or so of both. All 8 intervals are hit on target but its funny looking at the pace graph afterwards and seeing each of the 8 recoveries getting progressively slower!

Had to head down to the GAA clubhouse for a coaching kids refresher coarse that night, could defo feel the legs and knees doing some of the exercises!

Feb 16th- 65 minute easy run on tired legs.

Feb 17th- Saturday was going to be busy so brought the long run forward 24 hours.

Today called for 40 minutes at 6:40 pace. Used the same type route as previous weeks, around the bog and up the old N5 and back down the hard shoulder of the new N5.

Usual 30 minute warm up and strides and then into the quicker stuff. Lovely day out for a run today so these miles breezed by. Pace felt fine throughout bar the start of mile 6 that involves a short but steep climb where i pushed the pace too much overcompensating! On the other side of this hill i was able to coast relatively smoothly home. Splits ranged from 6:35 to 6:38/mile.

Feb 18th & 19th- Easy 65 minute runs around local roads. Not a bad weekend for The Rossies and Man Utd!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Always good to make someone smile☺️ Great session, well done!!

Not updated in a few weeks, mainly as there was nothing major to report!

The midweek sessions have gone from 10 x 4 mins (3 min recoveries), 10 x 3 (3 min recoveries), 15 x 2 (2 min recoveries). Each was been getting progressively faster by 5 seconds each time. Of these i found the 2 minute ones by far the toughest. Last weeks session was 20 x 1 min on/off at 5:35/mile pace. Found these efforts much more manageable than the previous weeks efforts even with the reduced recovery intervals. Managed to jog all the recoveries instead of giving in to walking odd bits of them. I suppose having told my u12 GAA team the importance of jogging the recoveries after each shuttle sprint it would have been a big cop out if i couldn't follow my own advice! These intervals ranged from 5:22 to 5:37 pace.

Rest of the week was easy runs although i didn't get out last Thursday with it lashing rain pretty much the whole day.

The only thing of note from the weeks easy run was landing home Saturday morning to find my white sock gone red since one of my toenails managed to rub off the next toe. Small spot came through on my white runner but thanks to diffusion the same runner now has an entire toe box now in pink!

Sunday 19th- Long run 50 mins at 6:35/mile pace.

These long runs have been slowly ramping up but still manageable. Started this one with just a banana and a cup of tea for breakfast. The previous day's easy run was a horrible experience with 3 Weetabix sloshing around even at the slower pace.

Took in the usual route around the bog and up the old N5 and back home along the hard shoulder of the new N5. Finished the 50 minute block with an average pace of 6:31/mile, found the trip went well, not under too much pressure at any point (having caught some of You Only Live Twice on St Patrick's Day the accompanying ear worm for todays run was the instrumental piece when the rocket is in space, lovely piece if ya check it on Youtube!). Still a long way to go to get down to HM PB pace though but at least tangible progress has been made since the start of the year.

The speed sessions start going back up the pyramid again but with shorter intervals, already nervous for this weeks 15 x 2 min effort with 1 min recoveries!

• Advertisement

Jeez i had great intentions to keep this log going this year but Bless me Father its been 7 months since my last post!

What better way to dust it off than a race report- DCM23!

The training block in the lead up had gone pretty much on point and gained a lot of confidence from back to back weekends of 18 miles at 6:30 min/mile pace with one in particular being in very challenging wind and driving rain. Did my local Tarmonbarry 3/4 marathon as another training run with 16 miles thrown in at MP and managing to get a podium place!

i won't lie though the week leading up to it wasn't enjoyable from on the mental side of things which isn't an unusual symptom of maranoia but this being my first race in 2 years played on my mind as well as a cramp in my calf in the middle of Friday night.

Got to the expo on Saturday around half 3, bit of a nightmare trying to get parking with the rugby also on! Didn't really hang around too long and then back to my brother's house in Stoneybatter with the family. Up at 6 am Sunday morning for my porridge and getting kit ready. Mixed up my Maurten 160 mix for using later once i got dropped off. Taxi landed just after 7, quick goodbye to everyone and out the door. Almost into starting area when i realised i had left my Maurten drink in the kitchen FFS, quick mental dilemma but had loads of time so asked taxi to drop me back for it as i knew it would play on my mind if i didn't take it. Slower trip back with the road closures but no big drama. Started taking a few mouthfuls on the way back into town and it tasted really grainy instead of smooth like it should be but just thought be because it was over an hour since i had made it as I'm used to drinking it after mixing at home.

Had a wave 1 entry but had decided in my head that i wasn't going with the gun but maybe about 10 mins after it or from the top of wave 2. Did my stretches while and used the facilities a couple of times and then started walking up to the start line. Could see the clock coming up to about 6 mins as i got closer but then the stewards ran a tape across the road to cordon it off. Say 2 women duck under it but get a verbal tirade from one steward so i knew my decision was made for me and i would be going from the front of wave 2! Took a Maurten caffeine gel as we neared the countdown but despite having used the toilet numerous times already i had that feeling of needing to go again, no choice now but to hold it.

Gun went and off we go. A few burst off straight away but my plan for first half was to pace it in the 6:35 to 6:40 range to the halfway point and see how things were at that stage and then work towards a negative split. i think about 6 or 7 people burst out of the traps straight away and i fell into a mini group of 4 which i was to stay with until about Mile 8. The initial stages were great and huge support and good wishes and it felt like taking part on a proper professional race with the almost clear roads in front. Despite not having to weave about in these early miles my watch was still beeping away the miles a small bit in front of the markers. Caught the first of the walkers just before mile 3 and then some of the charity runners pushing wheelchairs shortly after that. Met the wife and kids on the North Circular road and going from the front of the wave meant i had no trouble picking them out for a quick wave. The 4 of us took turns working from the front for the next few miles through the park although one lad was breathing really heavy so will be interesting to get his bib number from the finisherpix photos and see how he eventually got on. Took my first Maurten 160 gel going up Chesterfield avenue and all felt great and comfortable. Starting to pass lots of runners now and having to weave a bit but nothing outrageous and getting a few shout outs from these runners about us being men on a mission! Castleknock is just a wall of noise, super support from all walks of life. Back into the park and this is the couple of miles i really enjoy along the meandering road through the trees, it also helps that its downhill so i quicken up the pace here and go with it. Finally lose the battle with my bladder and veer off to go in behind a tree before getting going again on the downhill and getting back on pace. My watch beeps for mile 9 well before the marker for the first time which is a bit disconcerting as i didn't think i veered off too much for that toilet break!

Back out of the park and remember motoring up St Laurence's hill without too much fuss, still passing loads of people and not really getting boxed in as they are strung out but having to do a bit more weaving. Take my next 160 gel and still moving along nice and smooth as i had planned. Came to the halfway mark in just under 1:27. However, it was like crossing that crossing that timing mat activated some hidden chip in my stomach as all of a sudden i felt a bit nauseous, what the feck is this about. Remember taking on a tiny bit of water here to try and get some relief but it having the opposite effect and it brings on some dry retching. This is really turning into a struggle and i still have over 12 miles to go. I'm still passing loads of people and staying in the 6:30-6:35 pace range but it feels a real struggle and not as comfortable as it should be. The sickly feeling in my stomach seems to pass after mile 16 and I'm mentally telling myself that everyone hits a bad period in a marathon and that 3 miles was mine and i can move on now. Still not a notion of taking any more gels though as i know my stomach is still on a knife edge! The next 3 miles pass in the 6:28 to 6:31 range but at mile 19 the retching returns and I'm spitting out frothy crap to beat the band (I'm still mindful at this point and do this well off the racing line!) Get a bottle of water somewhere around here to wash out my mouth but know I'm in a bit of bother when my limp attempt to throw it in one of those big bins with the target on the upturned lid hits the tarmac well in front of said bin! Still 7 bloody miles left and i really feel like ****. This has quickly turned into a potential 2018 type nightmare for me. I remember very very little of the next few miles other than passing the 3:20 pacing group just after the aqueduct in Milltown and thinking at least I can do sub 3. The bit around Clonskeagh is horrible as it lashes rain and the road just keeps going and going. Looking back on my splits i see these couple of miles come in at 6:42 pace but it really feels I'm moving through treacle if that makes sense! Up heartbreak hill which is way easier than that one in Milltown and bit of relief of the downhill at Foster's Avenue. Through mile 23 at UCD and I'm telling myself its just a parkrun to go (the most horrible parkrun experience ever!). Passing loads of walkers now and My God the temptation is so great to join what feels like my band of brothers in the slow death march home. Nutley lane brings a bit more relief before taking the turn and the long trip home. The watch beeping these miles before the marker is anyway visible is an awful kick in the balls but the crowds are absolutely epic and keep me going. The number of walkers are still increasing and the temptation is ever growing but force myself to keep one foot in front of the other. I know my gang are going to be somewhere along the barrier on the left in these closing stages but my vision is such a blur that i can't focus on faces and just want to keep my eyes peeled for the finish. Someone shouts encouragement along here that we have just 800 metres to go which i think is a piss take as i don't remember going past the Mile 25 marker! But soon enough the sweet relief of the finish is in sight, nothing left for a finishing sprint but just a shuffle over the mat. My God the relief.

i make it about 10 metres past the mat before grabbing a barrier and leaning down and puking my guts up 5 times (i can remember that as clear as anything from that last 13 miles). So grateful for a steward's hand on my back and the beautiful bottle of water he passed me.

So a finish time of 2:55:40. Delighted to have limited the positive split to under 2 mins in the circumstances because it could have gotten very ugly. Really enjoyed the first part of the race but that second half was truly horrible and i feel i lost so much out there in terms of a bit of time but more so the experience of enjoying the trip. It's an official 18 min PB from 2019 but i feel like i raced 2019 way better and felt much faster doing it if that makes some kind of warped sense!

Did a short debrief with the coach over WhatsApp later and got to the bottom of my stomach issues. I'm so used to using the filter tap at home to make up the Maurten 160 mix that i never considered the calcium content of the bottled water i used. The drink is supposed to be made with water having less than 40 mg Calcium content while the one i used had close to 100 mg! Hence the grainy feeling and it wasn't mixed at all. i wouldn't mind but the warning is written right on the mixing bottle i used!! So there you have it, every day is a school day. Disappointing that all the work fell down to such a rookie mistake but also a relief that i got to the bottom of the issue rather than it playing on my mind for future events.

Hoping to keep the log updated more often now as i can see the value in it and really enjoy reading other people' reports on races and training. Some brilliant performances on here and more my fellow 2018 novices. Looking towards 2024 i haven't anything signed up for yet but think I'll go with Dublin again as the time of the year works for me, I'll defo be looking to do more proper races between then and now (big mistake not having done anything at all in 2023!) and who knows maybe I'll pop my 5k and 10k cherry!

Thanks for reading (warts and all!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Savage run especially in that 2nd half with all that going on in your stomach! If it's any consolation I would have done the same thing with the mix- not something that would cross your mind with all the other pre race prep. Lots to come still there, you are an endurance machine although hope to cross your path on a 5k or 10k soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Who knew the wrong water could have such an impact! You did incredibly well to hold it all together in the 2nd half, super achievement, 2:55 on a bad day huh 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Super tough running there J. To hold it together under the circumstances was a hell of an achievement. Congrats on the PB, well deserved after that block.

I noticed that about the calcium before Amsterdam but didn't check it as I didn't have any options anyway. 😂 Did you get the calcium content from to the label of a bottled water?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Brilliant run - and great report - warts and all.

How did starting at the top of wave 2 go for you?

A good clear run in the 1st part? did it get congested later on??

• Advertisement

Thanks S, I've never really noticed the warning on the mixer bottle before but I was aware of the calcium thing in the back of my head but it never occured to me at all that morning or in the lead up to the event. I used one of those sports water bottles from Aldi, checked it after and I think it said 93 mg.

It was grainy drinking it but like I said I just thought it might be because I had mixed in more in advance if taking it then I'm used to doing at home. Trust me the sight of me re enacting that scene from Team America World Police should be a warning to anyone else going forward!

Thanks A.

The last time I did DCM was in 19 I went 4 mins after the gun in wave 1 and while it was grand initially it was very congested from crossing the Liffey right through NCR and onto the park.

No such problems this time and I'd defo do it again if I was going again in the morning. Clear run although I should have been better with racing line. Small bit of weaving along chesterfield avenue and castleknock and back into the park.

It was grand for a good while after that as there was a decent strung out spread of runners and me shaped gaps would inevitably appear. I hit the 3:20 pacers at just the wrong time just before the aquaduct in Milltown and had to slow and wait for the hill to clear them but other than that it was fine.

Best of luck with your own marathon block, will be following with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Well done J, that's a seriously impressive result in the circumstances. I'm not sure many would have gritted it out so well in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Brilliant read J,worts & all! That's an unbelievable time given how the 2nd half went for you! Congratulations on the PB 🤗

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Good lad! you had a great training block, well deserved!

It’s been great virtually training with you and havin the crack over Strava/WhatsApp

…..obviously north Dublin water is too hard for you! You can go back to your Roscommon soft water now!

Haha F! Right back at ya buddy.

Surely ya have to stick up a report on your great race. I just want to find out how sound that lad was that didn't take kindly to your verbal sparing!!

Nothing too exciting to report since. Had planned on taking the full week off after the marathon but it was taken out of my hands anyway after getting a dose after working outside most of the day in the pissing rain on the Wednesday.

Back at it the last 2 weeks, just easy stuff. Some days the legs feel fatigued and others ya have to keep the pace in check. Have signed up for Dublin again next year, bit of unfinished business there. Have looked around for some local races before the end of the year, a 5k on St Stephen's Day doesn't appeal for obvious reasons! Haven't signed up yet but hoping to do a 5k in Drumshanbo in mid February and a HM near Lough Rynn Castle on Good Friday in March, will be hoping to have a crack at sub 80 mins for that one.

Will keep things ticking over to see out the year, would be nice to cross 2500 miles just as an arbitrary target, introducing a bit of speed work this week, will see how the legs respond!

Mon 20th- Just out and back along the N5 heading west for 65 min run while wfh.

Tues 21st- Was out on the road working today so pulled in at a random location for a run around somewhere new. Parked up at a nature walk close to Lough Boderg, quick look at google maps to see could i put together a loop of around an hours running and set off. Just bored with the same few loops and runs around home so enjoyed this. Bit nervous at one point when i seen the floodlights of the Leitrim GAA centre of excellence way off to my right at one stage when i knew i needed to run past them to get back to the car but all worked out in the end. Running along the N4 at one stage and up that hill into Aghamore, had cycled up it a few times years ago and its one of those that ya area really dropping back through the gears but was actually handy enough to run up! Must keep this loop in mind for future reference.

Wed 22nd- First session day post marathon.

Nothing too strenuous, just a 20 minute run at 10 mile pace followed by 6 one minute on/off sprints. I knew it shouldn't be too taxing but that doesn't stop the anxious pre session feeling. Around the bog loop for this one, usual 20 minute warm up with some strides towards the end and then into the fast stuff. Had even 6 minute miles in mind, OK not exactly 10 mile pace right now but a target pace. Most of this was done into a headwind and came in at an average of 5:56/mile. 5 minute recovery trot and then into the 1 minute sprints, these ranged from 5:04 to 5:15 pace, had a decent tailwind with these. Nice to get first harder run out of the way.

Fri 24th- 7 mile easy pace run during lunch break in the office.

Sat 25th- 65 minute easy pace run once kids activities and taxi dad was finished up! Had Sappy by Nirvana as an ear-worm for this one, definitely one of the better tunes I've had stuck in my head!

Sun 26th- 30 minutes @HM pace

Crappy cold miserable morning for this one so stuck on the DCM23 finishers top, not gone on the colour of it or the bobble hat but its a nice comfortable wear. Stuck on the vaporfly 2s for this. 30 minute warm up with strides towards the end and then into the quicker stuff. Sub 80 minutes for HM is the goal so said I'd go with 6:07/mile pace as the target. Enjoyable run with the splits coming in at 6:08, 6:05, 6:08, 6:02 and 6:07 for the partial but not quite full distance mile. 30 minute cool down during which i noticed that the whole toe box and arch of my right runner was blood stained, damned toe nails, literally had to squeeze the blood out of the sock before putting them in the wash!

Another disjointed performance from Man Utd later on the box but what can ya say about the Garnacho goal, i didn't actually celebrate it initially i was so in shock!

Mon 27th- WFH easy lunch time run of just under 8 miles.

Tues 28th- Session day. Out of the office working today so pulled in before i got home to do this one. Usual 20 minute warm up with some strides to get the heart rate up and then into the quicker stuff. Same as last week, 20 minutes at 6:00 min/mile pace. Wasn't able to do my usual loop of the bog with roadworks so just did an out and back. Lovely fresh day for it and felt reasonably comfortable throughout. Turned once the faster stuff was done having averaged 5:58/mile for the 20 minutes. 5 minute recovery and then into the 1 minute on/off intervals, similar to last week but 10 instead of 6. Ya wouldn't think an extra 4 would make much difference but ya would be wrong! Feeling it in the last couple of recoveries, 10 completed in a range from 5:10 to 5:19. 20 minute cool down back to the car.

Thurs 30th- Herd test at home this morning followed by giving the cattle a hair cut so had limited time to fit this one in afterwards so cut it down to 45 minutes at easy instead of 65 mins.

Sat 2nd- Missed the previous days run with farming jobs and then a trip to Elftown in Galway with the gang, kids had a great time and it was well done, although 30 euro per adult is a bit steep for the experience and 1 complementary mince pie! Really cold out for the easy jaunt around the locality so had a long sleeved top and gloves on.

Sun 3rd- Was out for dinner the previous evening for mum's birthday so bit nervy about this one and what effect a steak sambo and apple pie and custard would have on things!

Headed in towards Longford town for the first time since finishing marathon training. 30 minute warm up and strides. Just the 4 strides today instead of 5, was coming up behind a neighbour out for her walk along the N5 hard shoulder, she must have had ear buds in cause she didn't hear my exaggerated pounding or couple of coughs. Had to run way out on the road once traffic cleared to avoid giving her a total heart attack although i know she still got a bit of a hop! 35 minutes this week at 6:07/mile pace. Into a slight headwind for the first 2 and half miles before the turn around along the bypass. Tailwind was nowhere near as strong as i thought it would be for the home bound trek. Got it done anyways with splits of 6:07, 6:08, 6:03, 6:06, 6:04 and 6:05 for the partial mile. 30 minute cool down afterwards during which i came upon the same neighbour again but took the decision to cross to the other side as i approached this time! Wore the vaporflys again but no issue with bleeding toes this time.

Mon 4th- An easy 65 minute run before i got home from work. Bloody freezing out for this one, tee shirt and no gloves was not a good idea. Hands absolutely freezing for the first 40 mins, was somewhere during the 5th mile before i got feeling back in them again. Passed a dead stag in the grass verge, must have been hit on the road. Never seen one so close to home before.

Tues 5th- WFH today so headed out before lunch although later than planned due to heavy rain. Headed in along the N5 towards Longford town as the bog loop is basically gravel for almost 2 miles due to roadworks. Same as last week with a 20 minute block at 6:00/mile target pace once the warm up and strides were done. Into a small headwind but barely noticeable. Finished up this section of the run at an average of 5:56/mile. 5 minute recovery shuffle before turning on the by pass and heading for home with 15 1 minute on/off intervals. Man these were tough! Never has a minute felt so long during the on bits and never so short during the off bits! Managed to keep banging them out through sheer stubbornness although the initial part of the last 3 recoveries was reduced to a slow walk. Range of 5:09 to 5:25 for these. 20 minute cool down back to the house for just short of 13.5 miles for the trip.

Thurs 7th- Day off work today but still had a smaller window than required before school pick up so this was just an easy 45 minute easy run rather than 65 minutes.

Sat 9th- Easy 65 minute run once all the kids activities were done for the day. Left a couple of mins after Bournemouth went 1-0 up at OT, said to myself ah Utd will have it turned around by the time i get home.........Sick of that cowardly bunch of players.

Sun 10th- Thankfully nowhere near as windy as previous day although it really picked up an hour or so after i finished this run. Into Longford again for this one, 30 minute warm up and strides took me up close to Longford Town football ground, no sign of my neighbour out walking from last week! Slight tailwind to help out for the early stages, again target pace was 6:07/mile for the faster 40 minutes. Haven't used the in and out loop along the bypass and then back out by the rugby club so went with it today as it would be almost bang on distance wise. First 3 miles was fine, back into the wind for the 4th mile so working harder to hit target pace for this one. 5th mile takes in a horrible section of the back road, 3 hills, nothing massive but each gets a bit longer than the previous one so a real momentum stopper. This individual mile came in at 6:15 so not too much lost overall. Back out along the N5 again and headed home before finishing up not too far past the soccer ground again. Intervals of 6:06, 6:06, 6:06, 6:06 (consistent!), 6:15, 6:06, and 6:07 for the half mile to finish out the 40 minutes.

Advertisement