Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ridiculous Pop up from Microsoft advertising Windows 10

Options
  • 29-08-2019 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭

When I started up my pc today on Windows 7 I got this popup advising me here's what you should do when Windows 7 end of life comes.
    It advises me to buy Windows 10 which is bad enough since we know people don't need to buy Windows 10 at all if they have Windows 7 but the worst most ridiculous thing is it advises people to buy a new fricking PC for Windows 10.
    How ridiculous is that?
    Do they think people are retards?
    It's advertisement central with no actual useful information I mean I could give better advise to people than that.
    Typical BS cashgrab effort from Micro$oft.
    Ok Linux here I come in 2020.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ok Linux here I come in 2020.

We all know you'll end up installing Win10 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭knockers84

I don’t understand your problem.

Also like Linux but would never use it as my main OS. Windows is far superior

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I hope not.
    I have a lot of games to play still so that might leave me screwed.
    I know Linux isn't properly supported for gaming at all.
    Most of my games(vast majority) won't work on Linux.
    I think if I keep my antivirus and antimalware in check I should be fine with Windows 7 probably better than WIndows 10 with the constant telemetry, spying, restarting to update your pc, pop up advertisements and crap that Microsoft like to push on people that nobody wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I can see and understand you frustration about Win10, telemetry, so on, however, are you sure its not on your Win7 system already?!
    Isn't that pop up from MS show that you are counted and monitored already?
    https://www.howtogeek.com/428265/windows-7s-july-2019-security-patch-includes-telemetry/
    I'm not saying you should switch to Linux or other, just saying as long you use ANY MS product, they already "have your a**e" and do it without soap.
    Whether you care/feel pain and what you gone do about it - different story.
    It will be constant fight: MS push some crap out, smart guys find way to disable, MS push some crap out, smart guys find way to disable...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

I don't think it's ridiculous at all given that 99% of home users still running Win7 a) are probably not very bothered about compatiability with old games and b) probably have PC's that are ancient at this point and definitely could do with upgrading.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

They will be pretty old at this point - anyone who built a system in the last 3-4 years would have suffered a gunpoint conversion to Win10 or Linux courtesy of crippled drivers neatly inserted into Win7 :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I'm on Win10 pro with Classic Shell set to Win 7 UI and it's great. I hate the Win 10 native UI.

I'm old school ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Server 2016 with desktop env installed. It's windows 10 without the crap ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Win10 LTSC is where it's at. :cool:

(Probably pretty close to 2016, if I had to guess)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Might be better depending on how new builds arrive. That's decking me up with Adobe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Win 10 pro that comes with the MSDN subscription doesn't seem particularly intrusive and performs a bit better than Win 7. Outside of drivers, Win 7 D3D is missing support for double precision floats in the Direct Compute shader which kills it as a development platform from my perspective an may have a knock on effect on future games.

Advertisement