Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

House with apt inside

• 29-08-2019 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine is in the final stages of making an offer on a house

The house is old and will need full renovation, or complete taking down to the ground leaving external walls and building back up again

So in order to fund this, they are seriously looking at sectioning off some part of the house to have a self contained apt, 1 bed

Rectangular in shape and needs to be kept that way, apt with have its own door

Looking for ideas, obviously would be talking to architect but would like to have ideas of links etc to projects that may have been done and available to look at online

I know Room to Improve have all their episodes available but so many there and not sure if they ever covered this topic

Any suggestions would be great
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    A friend of mine is in the final stages of making an offer on a house

The house is old and will need full renovation, or complete taking down to the ground leaving external walls and building back up again

So in order to fund this, they are seriously looking at sectioning off some part of the house to have a self contained apt, 1 bed

Rectangular in shape and needs to be kept that way, apt with have its own door

Looking for ideas, obviously would be talking to architect but would like to have ideas of links etc to projects that may have been done and available to look at online

I know Room to Improve have all their episodes available but so many there and not sure if they ever covered this topic

Any suggestions would be great
    Thanks

Like a granny flat (ancillary family accommodation).
    You won’t get permission for a stand alone flat that you can legally rent out or sell and if you did you’d then require fire safety certs, disability access cert and it would become a building containing a flat.

You then have to think about common areas, management company and maintenance etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I think they would be doing all this with regulations in mind
    The idea is to section off one end of the rectangular shaped house to accommodate the separate "self contained" area
    its in Germany so they have looked into all the legalities of it
    At moment they are just looking for ideas of how to do it, ideally they want to keep the back garden private so the separate area would probably only have front access/visibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,922 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Not being smart, but in that case would they not be better off looking for advice on a German site rather than an Irish one? I doubt anyone here is familiar enough with German planning regulations to be much help.

I think they would be doing all this with regulations in mind
    The idea is to section off one end of the rectangular shaped house to accommodate the separate "self contained" area
    its in Germany so they have looked into all the legalities of it
    At moment they are just looking for ideas of how to do it, ideally they want to keep the back garden private so the separate area would probably only have front access/visibility

Ok. Best to visit a German based board.
    Absolute no point whatsoever discussing it here in Ireland where we have completely different statutory processes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Its more to do with just getting some ideas on how to best divide the house up architecturally, so that they could get the privacy at the rear but still allow for the apt section to have their own space, etc
    any links to clips or programs that would have covered it in the past etc

• Advertisement

Its more to do with just getting some ideas on how to best divide the house up architecturally, so that they could get the privacy at the rear but still allow for the apt section to have their own space, etc
    any links to clips or programs that would have covered it in the past etc

Local architect will advise based on sunlight, orientation, low cal precedent and character of the area.

Pointless talking about it here and also pointless when it’s your friend doing it and not you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I know Room to Improve have all their episodes available but so many there and not sure if they ever covered this topic.
    Is there a program called Pointless? :D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement