Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple event September 10th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Mr.S wrote: »
    The triple lens design looks awful, imo.

Also a bit annoying that they haven’t reduced the notch in size.

I don’t think it looks that bad. Hopefully it’s blended in better than the present phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

The triple lens design looks awful, imo.

Also a bit annoying that they haven’t reduced the notch in size.

I have to agree, it looks horrible. Apple will hardly go with this design will they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

pad199207 wrote: »
    I have to agree, it looks horrible. Apple will hardly go with this design will they?

They need to improve there camera it’s a long way behind the competition. It’s not about aesthetics. They are designed in that way to improve overall pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

what I want from this phone:

better low-light photos.
    90hz screen.
    looking forward to FaceID and ditching TouchID.
    looking forward to go back to a smaller phone, I'm over Plus sized phone.

I've given up on caring on camera bumps/camera looks and believe Apple have too. 99.5% (I pulled this figure out my hoop, but it's probably close enough) people stick cases on top anyways which evens out the bump.

Do we think Apple will go back to touch-ID under screen, as well as FaceID?

Have to say, on the new phones coming to market the under screen fingerprint readers are great.

Not this year. I think they could potentially going back to TouchID under the screen but I don't see it for another year or two at least.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What would be excellent would be touch id under the screen, but where you can touch a huge part of the screen rather than a specific little area. Imagine like the entire lower 3rd was available. The worst thing about touch id was having to put your finger in a very specific place.

They could ditch face id and ditch the notch.

No idea whatsoever if this is even possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

awec wrote: »
    What would be excellent would be touch id under the screen, but where you can touch a huge part of the screen rather than a specific little area. Imagine like the entire lower 3rd was available. The worst thing about touch id was having to put your finger in a very specific place.

They could ditch face id and ditch the notch.

No idea whatsoever if this is even possible.

It’s possible alright but probably not as accurate as they’d want.

As far as reducing the size of the notch, not this year. There’s a rumour that it’ll have an upgraded sensor for a wider angle of detection, so for this year they’re working on making FaceID better, and then from next year on they could start to play with the size of the notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,392 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Do we think they'll be any revolutionary idea's in the new Iphone?

My last Iphone as the X and didnt see a big step forward in last years model so If I don't see anything big on the new generation, I might go to Android

• Registered Users Posts: 60,704 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Will they go with USB-C on this iPhone?

If not I wouldn't expect any major updates till USB-C gets introduced.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Headshot wrote: »

My last Iphone as the X and didnt see a big step forward in last years model so If I don't see anything big on the new generation, I might go to Android
    A few more animojis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Headshot wrote: »

Everything I see from the leaks seems to indicate that the iPhones this year won’t be such a big step forward, other than the new camera design and some performance improvements in the A13 SOC versus the A12.

[Edited for clarity. Everything I refer to from here on refers to Fall 2020 iPhones or later, not the models being announced on September 10 2019.]
    Next year is when they expect the more notable changes to occur;
    Almost certain that USB-C is to replace the Lightning port (in Fall 2020), 5G Qualcomm modems in the “S” equivalent models, with “R” equivalent model(s) staying LTE only till at least 2021.

Very possibly the resurrection of TouchID in the form of an under screen reader on “S” models.
    Strong rumours of an all OLED display lineup with 5.4” and 6.7” “S” models, and 6.1 lower resolution “R” model.

Rumour of yet another big change to cameras next year, with a 3D scanning rear camera for some of the models, based on the front facing FaceID camera technology, but having a range of 15 feet instead of the short “arm’s length” range of FaceID.

Probably other stuff too, but these are the bits I remember best from recent leaked info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Sarri_ball

^Most of that was said last year too when they released the current line-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Sarri_ball wrote: »
    ^Most of that was said last year too when they released the current line-up.

Most of what I was talking about referred to next year’s iPhone lineup not the ones coming in 2 weeks time. I’ve edited the post to clarify it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Ya think apple will offer anything in the way off new AirPods. Lost mine during last week and I'm waiting to see will they release anything before I pull the trigger on a fresh set.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

14murphy wrote: »
    Ya think apple will offer anything in the way off new AirPods. Lost mine during last week and I'm waiting to see will they release anything before I pull the trigger on a fresh set.

No chance

Edit: do you mean as part of a pre order or a new product launch.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

he means a new products.

I highly doubt it, the facelift version was only released a couple of months ago weren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

godtabh wrote: »
    No chance

Edit: do you mean as part of a pre order or a new product launch.
    sounds like the latter considering they have just lost the current set

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Are we expecting anything new on the iPad or will that be for later in the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

Vudgie wrote: »
    Are we expecting anything new on the iPad or will that be for later in the year?

One with FM radio and dual sim on the way

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

s8n wrote: »
    78eaf9aed630815f29749ce1b2ca24f3--wat-meme-meme-meme.jpg

• Advertisement

s8n wrote: »

And they’ll be adding flash to iOS.

And they’ll be adding flash to iOS.

about time really, HTML5 never really took off, did it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

I was being sarcastic. Ever since Iphone and Ipad have been introduced there have been mentallers on here moaning about the lack of dual sim and FM radio

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Dual sim, I can understand wanting - genuinely useful.

FM radio? Errr

It means you can listen to radio anywhere.

Try listening to radio apps on Dart for example, lots of blackspots around Dalkey/Killiney and even going from Bray to Shankill.

Also, won't use any data and it's also live and not 30 seconds behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Not this year, sadly. I really wish they would though. Having one charger for my Macbook / iPad and iPhone would be so easy.

Yep, as much as I think lightning is technically a better connector, the fact that Apple went usb-c for laptops and iPad Pros killed it for me. With most Apple devices and all my other brands devices being usb-c, I have absolutely no time for lightning on the iPhone/AirPods anymore. I actually almost don’t use it anymore and mostly replaced it by Qi charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

few reports of an a12 chip apple tv being launched

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

peteeeed wrote: »
    few reports of an a12 chip apple tv being launched

Would make a lot of sense as Apple are launching their gaming subscription service and working hard to promote iOS/tvOS as a gaming platform.

The Apple TV is a logical home extension of the iPhone and iPad with games running on all 3 platforms and syncing progress through iCloud, but if Apple wants this to work for top tier games they can’t have a current Apple TV which is underpowered even compared to low end iPads and iPhones.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Yep, as much as I think lightning is technically a better connector, the fact that Apple went usb-c for laptops and iPad Pros killed it for me. With most Apple devices and all my other brands devices being usb-c, I have absolutely no time for lightning on the iPhone/AirPods anymore. I actually almost don’t use it anymore and mostly replaced it by Qi charging.

Do you have a recommendation for the charging mat that you use?

Thanks

Bob24 wrote: »
    Would make a lot of sense as Apple are launching their gaming subscription service and working hard to promote iOS/tvOS as a gaming platform.

The Apple TV is a logical home extension of the iPhone and iPad with games running on all 3 platforms and syncing progress through iCloud, but if Apple wants this to work for top tier games they can’t have a current Apple TV which is underpowered even compared to low end iPads and iPhones.

I wonder will they release a stripped down version to compete with the firestick?

• Advertisement

Vudgie wrote: »
    I wonder will they release a stripped down version to compete with the firestick?

Have they ever tried to compete with cheaper products?? Ever?

Advertisement