Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple event September 10th

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

€1,179 for a pro with 64gb storage .. ridiculous in 2019

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

adox wrote: »
    Just checked the store prices for the Pro.

Mad altogether. Who would pay up to €1600 for one of those?

Rich folk. They clearly sell.

I’ll do my trick of updating to last years model every two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

It’s mad that OnePlus were seen as the “flagship killer” originally with their “budget priced” high spec phones and their prices have crept up a lot so much so that they were within touching distance of the flagships.
    Now Apple are pushing the price out again with little in the way of innovation and the top end OnePlus suddenly looks fantastic value again.

I like a lot of Apple products. Have a Mac, iPad and ATV 4K but have been really turned off the iPhone the last few years. It really feels like it’s getting left behind in so many ways and at an outrageous price. I’m always dumbfounded how to continue to sell so many units.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Nibs05

I was hoping or it was rumoured there would be AirPods 3, but meh I’ll keep me iPhone X.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

The Apple Watch section has an “Apple Watch Studio” for matching watch head / strap etc as you want.

• Administrators Posts: 54,069 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The Apple Watch section has an “Apple Watch Studio” for matching watch head / strap etc as you want.

FINALLY.

It has always frustrated me having to pick from their pre-determined combinations, and then buy an extra strap on top. A blatant rip off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

adox wrote: »
    It’s mad that OnePlus were seen as the “flagship killer” originally with their “budget priced” high spec phones and their prices have crept up a lot so much so that they were within touching distance of the flagships.
    Now Apple are pushing the price out again with little in the way of innovation and the top end OnePlus suddenly looks fantastic value again.

I like a lot of Apple products. Have a Mac, iPad and ATV 4K but have been really turned off the iPhone the last few years. It really feels like it’s getting left behind in so many ways and at an outrageous price. I’m always dumbfounded how to continue to sell so many units.

The cost of OLED screens is what is pushing the prices up on phones. Theyre outrageously expensive. Nearly all OLED screens for phones are licensed from Universal Display Corporation. So they pretty much own the market, and charge accordingly.

I have a series 2 watch, so I think I'll probably upgrade that this year.

But I have an iPhone X, and while I didn't see the keynote, it doesn't seem like there's anything remotely interesting to tempt me to upgrade this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

awec wrote: »
    FINALLY.

It has always frustrated me having to pick from their pre-determined combinations, and then buy an extra strap on top. A blatant rip off.

Yep! Although I’ll probably just get the white strap :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Hogzy wrote: »
    The cost of OLED screens is what is pushing the prices up on phones. Theyre outrageously expensive. Nearly all OLED screens for phones are licensed from Universal Display Corporation. So they pretty much own the market, and charge accordingly.

You'd think in that case the non-pro models might have non-OLED to match. It's by no means essential, if the cost is prohibitive.

sdanseo wrote: »
    You'd think in that case the non-pro models might have non-OLED to match. It's by no means essential, if the cost is prohibitive.

They dont have OLED, they have LCD screens, hence the huge difference in price.

Correct me if I am wrong but does the iPhone 11 still have the same pixel density as the iPhone 4?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I’m still on a iPhone 6 and has done me perfectly fine for 4 years. I’ll wait for the dust to settle on pricing before getting something from the last 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,613 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I'm on an Iphone X. I presume there's still no point upgrading?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Shane119

How do you decide which size watch to go for when buying online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

awec wrote: »
    I have a series 2 watch, so I think I'll probably upgrade that this year.

But I have an iPhone X, and while I didn't see the keynote, it doesn't seem like there's anything remotely interesting to tempt me to upgrade this year.

Yep, but actually I don't know if we should blame Apple for this. While this could be seen as a lack of innovation, the more positive way to look at it is that while the iPhone X was an expensive phone, it was made to last and doesn't make anyone fell like they need to upgrade even after 2 generations.

In a way I like this: when it comes to MacBook Pros, it wouldn't come to my mind to buy a new one every year: I just get a nice model I like every couple of years and I am happy with it for a while without even paying too much attention to the incremental updates which are being released. I don't think I would mind doing the same thing with my phones.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Yep, but actually I don't know if we should blame Apple for this. While this could be seen as a lack of innovation, the more positive way to look at it is that while the iPhone X was an expensive phone, it was made to last and doesn't make anyone fell like they need to upgrade even after 2 generations.

In a way I like this: when it comes to MacBook Pros, it wouldn't come to my mind to by a new one every year: I just get a nice model I like every couple of years and I am happy with it for a while without even paying too much attention to the incremental updates which are being released. I don't think I would mind doing the same thing with my phones.

Yea I don't mind so long as they don't start playing silly buggers with the iOS updates and start crippling older models or intentionally holding back features to create some false need to upgrade the handset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

No it isn't.

An iPhone XS Max costs $1249. The estimate for the manufacturing cost is $443. The estimated cost of the OLED panel is $80.5.

So the OLED panel costs 6.4% of the retail price. The most expensive component in an iPhone - by a country mile - is Apple's markup.

Bob24 wrote: »

In a way I like this: when it comes to MacBook Pros, it wouldn't come to my mind to buy a new one every year: I just get a nice model I like every couple of years and I am happy with it for a while without even paying too much attention to the incremental updates which are being released. I don't think I would mind doing the same thing with my phones.

Theyre not trying to do that though, they want you to part with your money and this is the best they can come up with. Hardware wise the iPhone 11 Pro is on par with the Huawei P20 pro, a 2 year old phone.

For such a lackluster spec bump they really should have included a 128gb minimum capacity, jumping to 256 and then 512gb.

Theyre not trying to do that though, they want you to part with your money and this is the best they can come up with. Hardware wise the iPhone 11 Pro is on par with the Huawei P20 pro, a 2 year old phone.

Is it? They said their GPU and CPU speed was faster.
    For such a lackluster spec bump they really should have included a 128gb minimum capacity, jumping to 256 and then 512gb.

Probably agree with this.

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    No it isn't.

An iPhone XS Max costs $1249. The estimate for the manufacturing cost is $443. The estimated cost of the OLED panel is $80.5.

So the OLED panel costs 6.4% of the retail price. The most expensive component in an iPhone - by a country mile - is Apple's markup.

In that markup includes, marketing and business running costs, theres more to the cost model structure than just the hardware of the phone but what I was getting at is that the most expensive hardware component is the screen.

Faster than last years iphone ;)

And in that respect, well see what the geekbench tests show up when the phone is released. In any event dont believe the marketing hyperbole that apple spout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I’m still on a iPhone 6 and has done me perfectly fine for 4 years. I’ll wait for the dust to settle on pricing before getting something from the last 12 months.

They have you by the short and curlys, you need a 6s or higher for ios13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,302 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I find it weird that there was no mention of iOS13 at all. For those who have been using the different betas of it, are there major issues that will need to be fixed ?

I’m on 13.1 and it’s grand. Occasional app crash but.. no major complaints. I’m used to it now, so the new buzz is gone. Dominos app doesn’t work properly :)
    Thanks. It's just from previous events like this they would say new iPhone will ship with iOS whatever it. Unless I missed it they didn't say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Trying to go on and order the new watch but the store is giving me an error. On the 'order' button on the watch page. Anyone else able to get on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

FutureGuy wrote: »

On a 6 here as well, almost five years. Was looking to upgrade but will hang on another year for a ‘tick’ year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ouch €999 for the 256gb 11 €829 for the 64gb
    €1679.00 for the 512gb Pro Max

All prices up on the website.

Hardware wise the iPhone 11 Pro is on par with the Huawei P20 pro, a 2 year old phone.

As far as I remember even the iPhone X comfortably beats the P20 Pro in terms of CPU and GPU performance. So I have no doubt the 11 Pro crushes it.

Edit: attaching actual figures. The P20 Pro is definitely far behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Surprised with no 5G

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Surprised with no 5G

You must not have been reading any post or website related Apple in the past few months ;-)

Just to be clear ... I think it is an unfortunate omission in the pro model, but this was widely reported and completely expected.

Advertisement