Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple event September 10th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Hogzy wrote: »
    In that markup includes, marketing and business running costs, theres more to the cost model structure than just the hardware of the phone but what I was getting at is that the most expensive hardware component is the screen.

Yes, the most expensive component is the display but it's also arguably the most important as it's the primary interface to the device.

Samsung reportedly invested over $7 Billion in expanding their OLED manufacturing capacity to meet Apple's needs for the iPhone X and subsequent models. They are very difficult and expensive to make, but the best costs.

The iPhone 11 Pro camera modules might give the display panel a run for the title of most expensive component. Given the integration of processor functions with the camera, not to mention the OS software development effort, the Camera/processor/software function would easily be the most expensive element in an iP11 Pro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Bob24 wrote: »
    You must not have been reading any post or website related Apple in the past few months ;-)

No you big nerd :)

5G will be here quicker than we think.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Vudgie

So bilateral charging doesn’t appear...along with the charging pad it’s the second time that Apple seem to have struggled from a hardware perspective.

No mention of sleep tracking on the watch which would have been great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

No you big nerd :)

5G will be here quicker than we think.

It is here. It’s live with Vodafone in a number of cities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

No announcement of the much rumoured trackers. This was the thing I was most excited about. Guess I'll be upgrading the tiles

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yep, but actually I don't know if we should blame Apple for this. While this could be seen as a lack of innovation, the more positive way to look at it is that while the iPhone X was an expensive phone, it was made to last and doesn't make anyone fell like they need to upgrade even after 2 generations.

In a way I like this: when it comes to MacBook Pros, it wouldn't come to my mind to buy a new one every year: I just get a nice model I like every couple of years and I am happy with it for a while without even paying too much attention to the incremental updates which are being released. I don't think I would mind doing the same thing with my phones.

Personally I am usually delighted when Apple release an underwhelming new update of a device because it means I don't feel any pressure to upgrade. However, as these threads every year show, a lot of people seem to have €1k+ burning a hole in their pocket and want to feel that they are getting a shiny new toy with it. It's no wonder Apple keep putting their prices up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

As far as I remember even the iPhone X comfortably beats the P20 Pro in terms of CPU and GPU performance. So I have no doubt the 11 Pro crushes it.

Edit: attaching actual figures. The P20 Pro is definitely far behind.

Yeah, that's great, but what does the average person need or use that performance for? The P20 camera performance would see a lot of use while the A12 processor idles most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

cnocbui wrote: »
    Yeah, that's great, but what does the average person need or use that performance for? The P20 camera performance would see a lot of use while the A12 processor idles most of the time.

I'm not saying I need it (my X never feels slugish). Just addressing the question of the poster I quoted, and calling the earlier troll saying that hardware wise the 11 Pro is not better than a P20 Pro.

• Administrators Posts: 54,069 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

fifth wrote: »
    Trying to go on and order the new watch but the store is giving me an error. On the 'order' button on the watch page. Anyone else able to get on?

Nope it's broken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Vudgie wrote: »
    So bilateral charging doesn’t appear...along with the charging pad it’s the second time that Apple seem to have struggled from a hardware perspective.

No mention of sleep tracking on the watch which would have been great.

How has Apple struggled with bilateral charging. They never even announced it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

A fairly uninspiring phone. No 5G (we knew that), no reverse charging, 64 GB starting point for storage (come on Apple), same huge notch, and I'm guessing no fast charger in the box. Basically the same looking phone with an ugly camera setup at the back. I'm sure the phone will sell well, but my X is more than fine, and no need to drop 1k+ for a slightly faster phone (which I'm very unlikely to optimize or notice).

For a phone that costs in the range of €1,200-1300, it'd be nice if they included the fast charger and even throw in the series 1 AirPods. Show some loyalty to the customers that are prepared to drop that much after they have been loyal to you. I know sentimentality isn't in the business world, but you get my point.

awec wrote: »
    Nope it's broken.

It is fixed now, but yeah it remained broken for a while after the store reopened.

If Steve Jobs was still around, someone would have lost their Job ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Somethings will never change. The influx of android users talking ****e here for the next few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Somethings will never change. The influx of android users talking ****e here for the next few days

Haven’t seen any of that so far?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭eggy81

Would it be pointless buying a watch series 5 if you aren't using an I phone. How much functionality would be lost.

adox wrote: »
    Haven’t seen any of that so far?
    For some, any attempt to suggest there's any issue with Apple = talking ****e

• Administrators Posts: 54,069 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Have they changed the sizing on the watch straps?

I have a series 2 watch, and I use the S/M strap, and have it on the 3rd largest hole. When I measure the distance from the pin on the strap, to the third largest hole, it's ~180mm.

But going by the new Apple Watch straps, this is a large strap. But I have skinny wrists, so this surprises me, because if I'm a large I can only assume this watch won't fit a lot of men?

eggy81 wrote: »
    Would it be pointless buying a watch series 5 if you aren't using an I phone. How much functionality would be lost.
    It would be pointless I believe, you'd lose pretty much all functionality. But maybe others can advise further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

eggy81 wrote: »

A lot but you should buy the watch you need there's a lot of choice out there. I've had a good few different ones. Current one is a Huawei Watch 4G, I don't use it every day but I like going out without my phone so I can pop my sim in it and head off without my phone and still make calls, get whatsapps etc.
    It all depends on what you want from a smart watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

Edit: attaching actual figures. The P20 Pro is definitely far behind.

Geekbench :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

They have you by the short and curlys, you need a 6s or higher for ios13

I can easily switch to Android tbh and I haven’t had to buy in close to 5 years and I am on a cheap plan.

It would be pointless I believe, you'd lose pretty much all functionality. But maybe others can advise further.

Unless I am mistaken you can’t even activate the watch if it’s not paired to an iPhone (and you can’t update the software either).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭stayback

Thinking of upgrading to an iPhone 8. Do ye think the price will drop over the next few weeks with the newer models coming out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Apple is waiting until 5g is widely avaidable in urban area,s ,citys.
    it makes no sense to put 5g chips into a phone when most people will use it in 3g or 4g mode.
    Chips take up space and use power in a phone.
    i,d assume they would also have to pay royalty fees to other companys to use the 5g chips .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

stayback wrote: »
    Thinking of upgrading to an iPhone 8. Do ye think the price will drop over the next few weeks with the newer models coming out

They flashed the full range of phones up on the screen during the event and I think it had the 8 at $449 so probably €550 here or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Have an IPhone 8 and want to upgrade. May as well pay an extra €100 for the iPhone 11 over the XR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads my 6S is on it's last legs, should I go for a new 8, 11, or a second hand 8, X, XR, XS?

riclad wrote: »
    Apple is waiting until 5g is widely avaidable in urban area,s ,citys.
    it makes no sense to put 5g chips into a phone when most people will use it in 3g or 4g mode.
    Chips take up space and use power in a phone.
    i,d assume they would also have to pay royalty fees to other companys to use the 5g chips .

You have to think of the lifespan of the phone though. I.e. how long are you planning to keep it and is there a time during that lifespan when you will be wanting to use 5G. In the case of a 1200 euros flagship phone like the 11 Pro, many people will want to count on it giving a premium experience for 2-3 years at least. 5G is now starting to become available in Ireland for a small number of users in limited areas, so you can safely assume that in a year or 2 it will be fairly widely available. Then some people who bought a 1200 phone and can’t get it will be annoyed.

So while 5G is not an absolute requirement today, I think it is a bit cheap of Apple not to have it at least on the very expensive flagship model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

5g will be a complete waste of space going by its current performance.
    I definitely won’t be rushing out for the first phone with it or indeed until at least 2 years of it being rolled out here.

Advertisement