Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple event September 10th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

awec wrote: »
    Have they changed the sizing on the watch straps?

I have a series 2 watch, and I use the S/M strap, and have it on the 3rd largest hole. When I measure the distance from the pin on the strap, to the third largest hole, it's ~180mm.

But going by the new Apple Watch straps, this is a large strap. But I have skinny wrists, so this surprises me, because if I'm a large I can only assume this watch won't fit a lot of men?

My understanding is you get a s/m and a m/l strap with all watches. You can use the shorter if the two to match your wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Blazer wrote: »
    5g will be a complete waste of space going by its current performance.

It's able to give 1Gbs download. Nothing wrong with that performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

TitianGerm wrote: »
    It's able to give 1Gbs download. Nothing wrong with that performance.

Well as long as your phone is within a 100m of the mast and a tree isn’t in the way.
    5g is going to be the most disappointing rollout especially when compared to 4g.
    It’ll be grand in cities once it gets rolled out but in urban areas it’ll be all a bit meh.
    You certainly won’t be getting gigabit out in the suburbs.
    And to honest as great as gigabit speed will be we’ll need data limits to significantly increase as well.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

My understanding is you get a s/m and a m/l strap with all watches. You can use the shorter if the two to match your wrist.

I think they've changed that, when you go to buy a Series 5 you've to pick a strap size.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Blazer wrote: »
    Well as long as your phone is within a 100m of the mast and a tree isn’t in the way.
    5g is going to be the most disappointing rollout especially when compared to 4g.
    It’ll be grand in cities once it gets rolled out but in urban areas it’ll be all a bit meh.
    You certainly won’t be getting gigabit out in the suburbs.
    And to honest as great as gigabit speed will be we’ll need data limits to significantly increase as well.

That's range though not the performance. I'm not to fussed with 5G myself and I'm perfectly happy with 50Mbps on 4G when I'm out and about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Lads my 6S is on it's last legs, should I go for a new 8, 11, or a second hand 8, X, XR, XS?

The 8 when it drops in price shortly. It'll be the best value and no notch. Phones could change radically in the next 12mts so I wouldn't be blowing the budget on an XS.

awec wrote: »
    I think they've changed that, when you go to buy a Series 5 you've to pick a strap size.

The “what’s in the box” says the strap is configurable to s/m and m/l so I think it’s the same as before buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just on the pro charger it uses a USB-C to lightning cable with the 18w charger. Will using something like a 30w charger work faster for the pro and all other iPhones if using the USB-C to lightning cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I don’t agree with some of the complaints about this years missing features. It’s definitely underwhelming but the storage and 5G complains aren’t something that bothers me.

Never expected 5G, still early and most major flagships this year don’t offer it, instead having separate 5G models. Gives me the impression the chips aren’t ready for prime time yet so they’re not taking the risk of putting it in their main flagships, instead having a separate model for those who are willing to take the risk/pay the premium. Apple will ship millions of iPhones, it would be crazy for them to take a risk as one of the most conservative companies when it comes to new technology. Not to mention the majority of people buying these probably won’t have access to 5G for another year or two.

The 64GB model as entry seems plenty too, if there’s storage I’d be complaining about its Apple’s pathetic 5GB of free iCloud storage. Ridiculous in this day and age, should be about 25GB at this stage. Not justifiable for people who have multiple €1000+ devices to be only given 5GB between them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

Question:
    Where might one find ,now defunct,bargain Xs/Xs max now that they’ve vanished off the apple store?!

• Advertisement

sandyxxx wrote: »
    Question:
    Where might one find ,now defunct,bargain Xs/Xs max now that they’ve vanished off the apple store?!
    Maybe Amazon? Local phones shops might sell off at a discount too.

Confirmed that 3D Touch was dropped from the Pro models as well. So RIP to that feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

No ceramic watch case here in Ireland then..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

DubDJ wrote: »
    Confirmed that 3D Touch was dropped from the Pro models as well. So RIP to that feature.

Good riddance.

I see the Vodafone website is down for maintenance right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Good riddance.
    I actually liked it, and used it a lot. It wasn't a hindrance for those that didn't use it, so not sure why they got rid of it. For me, another reason not to upgrade during this cycle.

I actually liked it, and used it a lot. It wasn't a hindrance for those that didn't use it, so not sure why they got rid of it. For me, another reason not to upgrade during this cycle.
    Same here, very useful feature but I can definitely see that a lot of people didn’t bother. My cousin who had an iPhone for a good few months wasn’t even aware it was there when I showed it to him recently.

I wish they weren’t dropping it for a worse version. Basically killing what was once the flagship feature of one of their phones, while keeping the price the same and offering no major feature in addition.

This years iPhone is definitely unusual, no major new features, just small improvements and spec bumps. And pulling a ‘Pro’ feature like 3D Touch on a phone they call the Pro is strange. I’m sure the phones will be some of the fastest and most sleek on the market. But they seem to have stopped adding major features.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mickotipp

I see on the Apple website the Xr is €729...is that the reduced price? I thought that was the price all along?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

This is basically an S S year,

3G S, added video recording and speed.
    4S, added Siri and speed.
    5S, added Touch ID and speed.
    6S, added 3D Touch and speed.
    XS, speed and better battery.
    11 (it's an S, S year) cameras, and speed, and better battery.

out of these phones, the 5S and the 11 Pro are the better updates in the S models imo.

If you're looking for more, stick to the tick, tock, tock cycle buy the iPhone X, buy the next years phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Headshot wrote: »
    I'm on an Iphone X. I presume there's still no point upgrading?

Anything from 6 on, no real point in upgrading.

Peatys wrote: »
    Anything from 6 on, no real point in upgrading.

Huh? Even 8 up would be a great jump!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Huh? Even 8 up would be a great jump!
    don't engage the troll, he's only posted twice in the entirety of the Apple Devices forum, one a video and two what you quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

This is basically an S S year,

3G S, added video recording and speed.
    4S, added Siri and speed.
    5S, added Touch ID and speed.
    6S, added 3D Touch and speed.
    XS, speed and better battery.
    11 (it's an S, S year) cameras, and speed, and better battery.

out of these phones, the 5S and the 11 Pro are the better updates in the S models imo.

If you're looking for more, stick to the tick, tock, tock cycle buy the iPhone X, buy the next years phone.

Remember that as you said the 11 Pro is not a S but more an “SS” though (it is the third iteration of the X). So the only real comparison is the 7 which was more a 6SS (third iteration of the 6).

Also, I’d say at the time of the 3GS and 4S, the speed bumps were a lot more significant in terms of real world usage. For exemple the 3G was very slow to load an average website and the 3GS partially fixed that. And the silicon of the 4 was struggling a bit to handle a Retina display while the 4S had no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Some thoughts on the iPhone 11 Pro/Pro Max:

- They should have just called it the iPhone Pro
    - The camera array is a bit ugly but the improvements look great
    - Battery updates were unexpected but very welcome
    - Midnight Green looks nice, I hope to see more of that in the future. Midnight Blue would look amazing
    - Doesn't justify another price increase, that's just greed from Apple
    - Like the XR, iPhone 11 is still far better bang for your buck
    - Anyone on an iPhone X or later should probably wait until next year

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

One thing that's bugging me is that I'm considering upgrading from an iPhone x to an iPhone 11 Pro Max, but I can't find any metric telling me how much better the battery life would be?

Anyone able to put it in a figure, like x hours vs x hours?

MillField wrote: »
    Some thoughts on the iPhone 11 Pro/Pro Max:

- They should have just called it the iPhone Pro
    - The camera array is a bit ugly but the improvements look great
    - Battery updates were unexpected but very welcome
    - Midnight Green looks nice, I hope to see more of that in the future. Midnight Blue would look amazing
    - Doesn't justify another price increase, that's just greed from Apple
    - Like the XR, iPhone 11 is still far better bang for your buck
    - Anyone on an iPhone X or later should probably wait until next year
    - I think the naming is actually ok, better than last year but they should have dropped the Max and just differentiated by size.
    - The battery increase could come from the rumoured reverse wireless charging that was supposedly dropped close to production. They added the extra battery to compensate for that.
    - What price increase are you referring to?
    - Agree with the rest, especially the midnight blue iPhone. Would look great.

I bought a new MacBook Pro less than a month ago and was wondering if Apple would offer any grace period for the free Apple TV+ offer (They don’t). Here’s some tidbits about the offer though.
    Customers who purchase any new iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac or iPod touch starting September 10 can enjoy one year of Apple TV+ for free.
    Beginning November 1, customers can initiate the one-year free offer in the Apple TV app on the device running the latest software.
    Customers have three months after device activation to claim the offer, or if the device was purchased and activated before the launch of Apple TV+, they will have three months starting November 1.
    The subscription will automatically renew at $4.99 per month after one year.
    Customers can cancel at any time in Settings at least one day before each renewal date.
    Customers who cancel during the offer period will forfeit the remainder of their offer. This limited time offer applies to both new and refurbished models, including devices from the iPhone Upgrade Program, is not restricted to any specific sales channel (e.g., Apple Store, resellers) and will be available in all countries where Apple TV+ will launch.
    Up to six family members can share one Apple TV+ subscription and watch using their own Apple ID and password. Only one one-year offer is available per family, regardless of the number of devices purchased.

TL;DR
    - Available from any device bought on or after the Sept 10th
    - You have 3 months after Nov 1 to claim (e.g. end of January)
    - Not stackable so can’t buy multiple devices and get multiple free years subscriptions
    - Offer is available for new devices purchased anywhere e.g. Amazon, Argos etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

One thing that's bugging me is that I'm considering upgrading from an iPhone x to an iPhone 11 Pro Max, but I can't find any metric telling me how much better the battery life would be?

Anyone able to put it in a figure, like x hours vs x hours?
    The iPhone X battery is at least 1000mah smaller.
    I’ve noticed a huge difference in going from the xs max to the XS.
    Before I might had had to charge the max in the evening around 7-8 but the xs needs to be topped up around 2-3pm.
    I’d say the max is good for another 2-3 hours on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Some country price comparisons - All for 64gb (US prices including NY sales tax). The UK 11 price has obviously been set according to the recent value of sterling and the 8 plus hasn’t quite so much...

11 Pro Max IRE €1279
    11 Pro Max US €1088
    11 Pro Max UK €1287

8 Plus IRE €669
    8 Plus US €542
    8 Plus UK €648

- I think the naming is actually ok, better than last year but they should have dropped the Max and just differentiated by size.

Yes the name is a bit confusing this time around as the 11 is basically and XRs and the 11 Pro an Xss.

But if they stick with this and their intend is to stick with these naming convention and to maintain two clearly differentiated iPhone lines similar to MacBooks (regular and Pro), this new naming will bring more clarity in the long term.

Agree Pro Max sounds silly though. Maybe they should just market all sizes as the iPhone Pro and just specify Pro 5in and Pro 6in on the product description to differentiate them (again, similar to their naming for laptops).

• Advertisement

- Not stackable so can’t buy multiple devices and get multiple free years subscriptions

Not stackable is fair enough, but what I don’t get is: if you are 8 months into your free subscription and purchase a new device, do you completely lose the benefit of the free subscription associated to that new device, or does is replace your active free subscription and give you 12 months from the date you purchase the new device?

Advertisement