Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple event September 10th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Bob24 wrote: »
    Not stackable is fair enough, but what I don’t get is: if you are 8 months into your free subscription and purchase a new device, do you completely lose the benefit of the free subscription associated to that new device, or does is replace your active free subscription and give you 12 months from the date you purchase the new device?
    I would say you only get the 12 months. So, your original 12 months continues to the end and you don't get anything for the second purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I would say you only get the 12 months. So, your original 12 months continues to the end and you don't get anything for the second purchase.

While I don’t care too much for that service, if it is the case that would be a bummer for someone who does care. Essentially telling very regular customers that they’d better delay their new hardware purchase if they don’t want to end up having to pay for their subscription 4 months after purchasing a new device. Seems like a wrong marketing message to send from Apple’s perspective as they probably make much more money from frequent hardware upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭khennessy86

Would a jump from iPhone 7 plus to iPhone 11 be worth it , or should i go for next one up and go for the 11 pro max, usually just went with the upgrade through vodafone, but working out better having the sim only plan, so would be paying the full cost of the phone, so just want to get folks thoughts on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Simon201 wrote: »
    Some country price comparisons - All for 64gb (US prices including NY sales tax). The UK 11 price has obviously been set according to the recent value of sterling and the 8 plus hasn’t quite so much...

11 Pro Max IRE €1279
    11 Pro Max US €1088
    11 Pro Max UK €1287

8 Plus IRE €669
    8 Plus US €542
    8 Plus UK €648

Would a US iPhone work in EU? Is there not some issue with radio bands or is that a thing of the past? I'll be in LA in October so could be tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Would a US iPhone work in EU? Is there not some issue with radio bands or is that a thing of the past? I'll be in LA in October so could be tempted.

Yep shouldn’t be a problem, it has been called the ‘global’ version although best to ask in the store you’d be purchasing.

Also might add that the UK phones could be cheaper after 31st October in an airport!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Bob24 wrote: »
    While I don’t care too much for that service, if it is the case that would be a bummer for someone who does care. Essentially telling very regular customers that they’d better delay their new hardware purchase if they don’t want to end up having to pay for their subscription 4 months after purchasing a new device. Seems like a wrong marketing message to send from Apple’s perspective as they probably make much more money from frequent hardware upgrades.

Think you’re confusing the offer a little. It’s not going to last indefinitely, this will be a limited time thing. Most likely the end of January I posted earlier will be the cut-off. So any device purchased after that date won’t be eligible for the free year regardless.

So even if you buy a new device 8 months into your free sub, the offer won’t exist to give you another year.

That’s my understanding anyway, I can almost guarantee you this won’t be a unlimited type of offer. Details are still in the air, but seems like starting February 1st 2020 new customers will get a months trial and that’s it. No matter how many new devices you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blink44

Am I right in thinking amazon don’t tend to do pre orders on iPhones? My dad has a bunch of amazon vouchers and has finally been convinced to upgrade his 6 to the 11. Probably a case of waiting for the initial launch to pass and they should appear on amazon.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Think you’re confusing the offer a little. It’s not going to last indefinitely, this will be a limited time thing. Most likely the end of January I posted earlier will be the cut-off. So any device purchased after that date won’t be eligible for the free year regardless.

So even if you buy a new device 8 months into your free sub, the offer won’t exist to give you another year.

That’s my understanding anyway, I can almost guarantee you this won’t be a unlimited type of offer. Details are still in the air, but seems like starting February 1st 2020 new customers will get a months trial and that’s it. No matter how many new devices you buy.

Ok, you are probably right. My understanding was that it was intended as a long term perk for new hardware purchases, but it might just be a short term promotion.

With that in mind, while the cost is low I think they will have to seriously up their game in the coming year if they want people to subscribe en masse after the free period expires.

I am clearly not their target audience as For the most part I prefer to watch international independent movies, so TV series all produced by the same US huge corporation which imposes its morale standards on every production clearly doesn’t appeal to me. But even for someone who is more into that stuff, just a few TV series produced by Apple seems fairly limited compared to what Netflix or Amazon have on offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Currently on an iPhone 5 after my 6s met a watery end. Looking to upgrade to XR 64GB.

Is it likely with the intro of the 11 that the upgrade prices with the carriers will come down for the Xr Model?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Currently on an iPhone 5 after my 6s met a watery end. Looking to upgrade to XR 64GB.

Is it likely with the intro of the 11 that the upgrade prices with the carriers will come down for the Xr Model?

Also interested in this for the wife. Held off on the XR as the new one was coming out with the assumption that prices would drop.

It is now not in stock on the virgin website who were doing the best price on it.

• Advertisement

For those who were asking, some info on battery life improvements here: https://9to5mac.com/2019/09/11/iphone-11-and-iphone-11-pro-improves-on-iphone-xr-stellar-battery-life/

It looks pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yes but I doubt carriers are sitting on piles of them so I wouldn't expect them to hang around for long much like what happened when the X retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Yes but I doubt carriers are sitting on piles of them so I wouldn't expect them to hang around for long much like what happened when the X retired.
    the XR is still a current iPhone though, it will stick around just like the iPhone 8 did last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

D8-F55577-EAF5-46-AB-9-EF2-8-BA3321-F421-F.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Deadly :D

It will work, but might miss some frequency bands.

See here: https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

The US and European models are not exactly the same and a US phone will support some bands which are not used in Europe and lack some bands which are used in Europe. But overall they largely overlap and I believe all bands used in Ireland are covered by the US phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

RE 5g on iphone,s
    ,quote. from Techdirt.com

Part of the problem is Verizon is leaning heavily on millimeter-wave signals to fuel most of its 5G deployments, but such signals don't travel very far and are easily blocked by walls, weather, and other obstacles. The other problem: there are few if any phones that actually support the standard yet, since the industry has yet to really hammer out the battery issues caused by the higher power consumption (one of several reasons Apple isn't expected to launch a 5G iphone until the second half of 2020, if not later)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

5G in the USA is nowhere near ready for the broad mobile phone market just yet, There was never any chance the iPhone was going to have 5G this year. 5G in the iPhone will be driven by the availability of 5G in the USA mainly and its just not worth Apple rolling it out when most customers wont be able to avail of it yet.

5G will be in all iPhones next year. I'd say it's more to do with paying Qualcomm under their licencing agreement that your not seeing it this year rather than Apple thinking the technology isn't ready. Apple bought Intel's 5G modem business.

5G will be in all iPhones next year. I'd say it's more to do with paying Qualcomm under their licensing agreement that your not seeing it this year rather than Apple thinking the technology isn't ready. Apple bought Intel's 5G modem business.

Speaking from a Verizon point of view, their radios arent as densely populated around US cities as would be necessary in order to be considered 100% coverage. Theyre aggressively rolling out radios on light posts, on top of public buildings etc. Their mmWave technology requires direct line of sight with the radio therefore the radios literally have to be everywhere. AT&T are behind Verizon in their roll out so this is one of the major reasons for not rolling out 5G on the iPhone. Im not saying the Qualcomm issue isnt there but the major bottle neck is rolling out the network in the USA.

No point paying for expensive 5G chips if the consumer cant use them to their full advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Am I crazy or is there a massive disparity between the standard 11 entry point in the States and here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ibFoxer wrote: »
    Am I crazy or is there a massive disparity between the standard 11 entry point in the States and here?

Not really, the US price of $699 doesn't include tax whereas our price of €829 does. So knock off 23% off our price and it's down to €674 which is $742 at the current exchange rate so there's about $40 in the difference on a like for like basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

ustari wrote: »
    Also interested in this for the wife. Held off on the XR as the new one was coming out with the assumption that prices would drop.

It is now not in stock on the virgin website who were doing the best price on it.

The Xr hasn’t reduced in price anywhere as far as I can see. Need to wait until they get the new models.

DubDJ wrote: »

Where did you pluck feb 1st from?

I’d say they will do this for a year and pick up 200M subscribers and then it’s up to the service to sell itself.

Hogzy wrote: »

No point paying for expensive 5G chips if the consumer cant use them to their full advantage.

They'll be in €100 Samsung's by the time of the next iPhone launch. There's no excuse for not doing it on a phone that costs just shy of €1700. No excuse for a lot of things but I won't mention them as you didn't.

They'll be in €100 Samsung's by the time of the next iPhone launch. There's no excuse for not doing it on a phone that costs just shy of €1700. No excuse for a lot of things but I won't mention them as you didn't.

Im no apple fan either :pac:;)

With a battery life of one hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Not really, the US price of $699 doesn't include tax whereas our price of €829 does. So knock off 23% off our price and it's down to €674 which is $742 at the current exchange rate so there's about $40 in the difference on a like for like basis.

US sales tax is around 6-10%, as opposed to 23% here. CA for this example 7.25%.

In reality, the cost to you, in your hand, is around $750.
    That's a net cost of €681 vs. €829 or €48 cheaper.

Not a huge difference compared to years ago. Mind you, I'm also due in the states in October, and I'll probably pick up an XR (or an 11, the price difference being only around €90) there then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Where did you pluck feb 1st from?

I’d say they will do this for a year and pick up 200M subscribers and then it’s up to the service to sell itself.
    In the small print on their website. Although it’s a little difficult to read exactly what they mean and I’m just saying that’s my understanding of it.
    €4.99/month after free trial. One subscription per Family Sharing group. Offer valid for three months after eligible device activation, from 1 November 2019. Plan automatically renews until cancelled. Restrictions and other terms apply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

sdanseo wrote: »
    US sales tax is around 6-10%, as opposed to 23% here. CA for this example 7.25%.

In reality, the cost to you, in your hand, is around $750.
    That's a net cost of €681 vs. €829 or €48 cheaper.

Not a huge difference compared to years ago. Mind you, I'm also due in the states in October, and I'll probably pick up an XR (or an 11, the price difference being only around €90) there then.

Isn't that €148 difference?

But of course there's a huge difference if you include tax, that's obvious. But Apple can't be blamed for our 23% tax rate verses their sub-10% tax.

I thought the question I was responding to was about whether Apple were gouging us on price but the reality is they aren't.

Advertisement