Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple event September 10th

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Guys,

Any point buying in the Apple Store in Berlin?
    My brother is on his upgrade cycle and is in Berlin in October so two birds with one stone etc, especially if there's any cost savings over buying here?

Assuming this is the only Apple Store there - https://www.apple.com/de/retail/kurfuerstendamm/
    Kurfürstendamm 26

10719 Berlin

Edit - €1149 V €1179

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

kceire wrote: »
    Guys,

Any point buying in the Apple Store in Berlin?
    My brother is on his upgrade cycle and is in Berlin in October so two birds with one stone etc, especially if there's any cost savings over buying here?

Assuming this is the only Apple Store there - https://www.apple.com/de/retail/kurfuerstendamm/

Depending on the model, it’ll probably be 15 to 30 euros cheaper because of a lower VAT there.

In the grand scheme of things it’s not a huge saving given the price of the phones, but those are the figures. Warranty will be valid here, and the small drawback is that the charger in the box will be one for continental European sockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Bob24 wrote: »
    Depending on the model, it’ll probably be 15 to 30 euros cheaper because of a lower VAT there.

In the grand scheme of things it’s not a huge saving given the price of the phones, but those are the figures. Warranty will be valid here, and the small drawback is that the charger in the back will be one for continental European sockets.

No consumer law protection either.

Buy it in Ireland

FourFourFM wrote: »
    No consumer law protection either.

Buy it in Ireland

I got consumer law repair on phones bought in the Belfast Store but at least that's just a 2 hour drive up the road.

Also, the euro plug just adds to the fact buying from the .ie store is better.
    Now if it was the US, then the savings are significant, €200 IIRC, then I could live with a US plug no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

I'm probably gonna pre-order one tomorrow from the Irish site, just because you could drive all the way to Belfast from Dublin and they might not have your exact preferred configuration/colour.

I'm gonna have this phone for at least two years, after which it'll be passed to my wife, who will probably use it for a further two years (she's not as into tech as me.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Still nothing on Vodafone’s website regarding the pre order.

Their social media doesn’t mention it at all either which is weird!

eeloe wrote: »
    Still nothing on Vodafone’s website regarding the pre order.

Their social media doesn’t mention it at all either which is weird!

Three.ie seems to be on the ball on Social Media offering "sign up for details" posts etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

kceire wrote: »
    Three.ie seems to be on the ball on Social Media offering "sign up for details" posts etc

I asked their Twitter today and they have no details. This will be my 6th iPhone upgrade through O2/3 and from experience they don't get an allocation until after the pre-orders start tomorrow onthe Apple website. Then it's usually Saturday on Monday before pre-orders are taken from Three, delivery is sometimes on launch day 20th Sep, sometimes the following week.

Just spoke with Vodafone Customer Care, their pre order isn’t starting until the 21st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭brimal

If I pre-order at 1pm today will I definitely get the phone delivered to me on the 20th as Apple says?

Are the preorders ever delayed?
    20th is a Friday and need it for a gift over that weekend.

Would I be better off going to CompuB etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Would i get much reduced for a brand new boxed sealed ipad 2018 6th gen model for a iphone 11 regular

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

brimal wrote: »
    If I pre-order at 1pm today will I definitely get the phone delivered to me on the 20th as Apple says?

With the Apple online store? If yes, then it would be very rare that they would miss the date they give you when you order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

That seems weird. I know there are tiers as to who gets stock first but generally understood all the Telcos, HNs, CompuB are the in the first batch.

Mr.S wrote: »
    A pre-order for after the phone is launched?

I know.

They said it’s available to pre order online only, first come first served basis on the 21st.

bee06 wrote: »
    With the Apple online store? If yes, then it would be very rare that they would miss the date they give you when you order.

Agree, my experience with pre order delivery dates is that it is the other way around. Apple gives the worst case scenario and you can usually expect delivery a few days earlier (unless of course the planned delivery date is on launch date in which case they would deliver before).

Agree, my experience with pre order delivery dates is that it is the other way around. Apple gives the worst case scenario and you can usually expect delivery a few days earlier (unless of course the planned delivery date is on launch date in which case they would deliver before).

I was one of the ones that got the X 2 days early back in 2017! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

If you get your pre-order in and confirmed within the first 30 minutes you usually get the phone on the launch day, in this case Friday 20th. If you’re entering the pre-order later than that, then the delivery date moves out by a day or so.

eeloe wrote: »
    I was one of the ones that got the X 2 days early back in 2017! ;)

The delivery company probably got slap on the wrist for not holding the parcel as instructed ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

There are no definite’s until you place your order on the site.

It will depend on a few things like supply and demand, how fast you get on the site and complete your order etc.

Pro tip: download the Apple Store app to your iPhone or iPad (in recent years that has sometimes gone live sooner than the website) - have the app open on as much devices as possible and also have the website as a fall back.

All that being said, demand might not be massive and you could be able to order any time within the first hours for certain models too. It’s an unknown at this point. Better be safe than sorry and get on and complete the order quick (but accurately).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

11 pro max ordered
    instant feelings of regret and justifications :D

Might be a lot of moula but way cheaper over a 60 euro monthly bill + 300/400 up front

• Advertisement

Vodafone's website gone down.

They only have Silver 256 and Green 64gb Pro Maxes available anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

11 pro max ordered
    instant feelings of regret and justifications :D

Might be a lot of moula but way cheaper over a 60 euro monthly bill + 300/400 up front

Ya was due an upgrade with 3 so ordered the I Phone 11. It was cheaper then the IPhone XR which I was thinking would come down in price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭brimal

Got the iPhone 11 in Red. Will be arriving on Friday 20th. They also deliver on Saturday too.

Thanks for your advice guys.

Looks like the new phones all have bilateral wireless charging hardware, but it is disabled by the software: https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/09/13/iphone-11-line-may-have-bilateral-charging-hardware-but-turned-off-in-ios

If they had originally planned for the feature and disabled it at the last minute, it doesn’t reflect well on Apple’s expertise and ability to execute related to wireless charging! (AirPower comes to mind)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Looks like the phone so have bilateral charging hardware, but it is disabled by the software: https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/09/13/iphone-11-line-may-have-bilateral-charging-hardware-but-turned-off-in-ios

If they had originally planned for the feature and disabled it at the last minute, it doesn’t reflect well on Apple’s expertise and ability to execute related to wireless charging! (AirPower comes to mind)

That's really interesting. It wouldn't be the first last minute change Apple has made to hardware, but that call must have come super late. Part of me was wondering if that marked increase in battery capacity came from taking up the space that was for the bilateral charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Seems 11 Pro Max in Midnight Green was the most popular. Pretty much sold out for launch day pre-orders...

That's really interesting. It wouldn't be the first last minute change Apple has made to hardware, but that call must have come super late. Part of me was wondering if that marked increase in battery capacity came from taking up the space that was for the bilateral charging.

Same here about increased battery capacity, no way to be sure but I also believe bilateral charging is the original reason for it (although it still is good to take :-)).

If they indeed made the decision to software disable it very late in the game after the final hardware was locked, it sounds like a massive engineering and testing failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

Same here about increased battery capacity, no way to be sure but I also believe bilateral charging is the original reason for it (although it still is good to take :-)).

If they indeed made the decision to software disable it very late in the game after the final hardware was locked, it sounds like a massive engineering and testing failure.

Well I suppose the iFixit teardown will show if there's hardware related to reverse wireless charging .... if it is the case, Tim really needs to visit the 'wireless charging engineers' and show them the door.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The 11 Pro is bigger, thicker and heavier than the XS, so I'd imagine that's where most of the increased battery life is coming from.

• Advertisement

The 11 Pro is bigger, thicker and heavier than the XS, so I'd imagine that's where most of the increased battery life is coming from.

Yes clearly - but it is very unlike Apple to make a phone larger and heavier just to increase battery life. They would usually only do it if it is required to add a new feature and/or to put a larger battery because there will be increased battery consumption and they need it to *maintain a similar battery life* with that increased source of consumption (for exemple the iPad 3 getting fatter and heavier that it’s similarly designed predecessor, because its retina display and graphics chip were hitting the battery much harder than the iPad 2).

Advertisement