Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple event September 10th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Vudgie wrote: »
    Do you have a recommendation for the charging mat that you use?

Thanks

I am using a SliceCharge Pro (can charge 2 devices plus an Apple Watch). I got it on Indiegogo when it was 70 dollars, but to be honest I don’t think I would recommend it for the full price they are charging now. Main reason being that while it works they never managed to get it Qi certified, and I only have moderate confidence in the company.

For charging an iPhone, AirPods and an Apple Watch and around the same price, I’d say Nomad has a better product (although it only has 3 Qi coils rather than 5 on the SliceCharge Pro).

And for someone who doesn’t need/want Apple Watch charging, I think this looks rather promising: https://www.makezens.com/article/zens-liberty-16-coils-wireless-charger/

Vudgie wrote: »
    I wonder will they release a stripped down version to compete with the firestick?

Not impossible but I’d be surprised. I think their strategy to get increased exposure for their services is to work with TV manufacturers to integrate Apple software directly into the Smart TVs. Like this (even with Samsung!): https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00082624/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Mr.S wrote: »
    A streaming stick isn't a bad idea with the launch of their streaming coming up.

AppleTV+ is launching on 2018, 2019 TVs of major manufacturers. They're also launching on Roku and Amazon Fire TV.

I doubt we'll see a streaming stick from Apple, an updated AppleTV with a focus on Apple Arcade, yes, but a streaming stick I'm not too sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

eeloe wrote: »
    Have they ever tried to compete with cheaper products?? Ever?

iPod shuffle.

iPod shuffle.

I wouldn’t say it was an attempt to compete with cheaper products. More a way to generate more sales with a new product category (with its super basic functionality the Shuffle didn’t really compete with cheaper iPod competitors with a display, and many people buying a Shuffle would actually already have had another regular iPod and bought the Shuffle as an add-on for specific uses).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

• Registered Users Posts: 54,392 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Well that's a huge let down :D

At least it will have that in common with the new IPhone

Well that's a huge let down :D

Just one guy's theory though. Could be off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,704 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Will Apple TV+ or the new iPhone be the main priority hard sell tomorrow I wonder.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Headshot wrote: »
    At least it will have that in common with the new IPhone

A bit like every phone release this year. Phones have reached a point where there’s not much left.

Short of making my tea in the morning, I’m not sure what Samsung or apple can add to any phone going forward. Camera progression is all that matters now IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Will Apple TV+ or the new iPhone be the main priority hard sell tomorrow I wonder.

This is the iPhone event, the eyes will be on that. They will of course show Apple TV+ off.

My guess at a rough timeline

3 mins fun intro video
    5 mins - retail store update - new location, customer sat levels through the roof.
    20 mins - Apple Watch update, new bands, new case materials.
    10 mins - watchOS feature recap
    30-40 mins - iPhone 11, pro, pro max. specifically focusing on the camera updates, AI machine learning features using wide angle lens i.e. uncrossing someone back into the photo etc. our best ever.
    3 minute new Apple TV+ show trailer.
    20 minutes Apple TV+ pricing availability and perhaps new hardware.
    5 mins wrap up, only apple.

there's a rumour about a one more thing which depending what it is could throw this timing way off.

Don’t forget the new Animojis. We’ll need a few minutes for them.

Don’t forget the new Animojis. We’ll need a few minutes for them.

they will be included in the iPhone 30-40 minute slot. they should a lot of them at WWDC so this update will just be one or two new animals etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

iPhone naming is hilarious:

iPhone
    iPhone 3G
    iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4S
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5c
    iPhone 5s
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 6 Plus
    iPhone 6s
    iPhone 6s Plus
    iPhone SE
    iPhone 7
    iPhone 7 Plus
    iPhone 8
    iPhone 8 Plus
    iPhone X
    iPhone XR
    iPhone XS
    iPhone XS Max

...and now possibly:
    iPhone 11
    iPhone 11 Pro
    iPhone 11 Pro Max

..or..
    iPhone XI
    iPhone XI Pro
    iPhone XI Pro Max

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Looks like the reverse wireless charging that was rumoured isn’t coming after all. A new rumour (anti-rumour :P) is saying they couldn’t get it to a point they were happy with.

MG is saying that ‘one more thing’ is the new budget 10.2” iPad also.

So the new iPhone this year boils down to updated cameras, FaceID improvements and a spec/colour update?

If true, seems like one of the smallest updates, alongside the iPhone 7 a few years back. More like an iPhone XSS tbh.

Edit: also they’re supposed to be dropping 3D Touch which is a downgrade in my opinion. I used it regularly and found it a great addition.

DubDJ wrote: »
    they’re supposed to be dropping 3D Touch which is a downgrade in my opinion. I used it regularly and found it a great addition.

Same, it's a pity to see that go.

Yep, presumably a long press or something like that. Still not as nice an experience as 3D Touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Yeah it's a long press. It's terrible. On the home screen if you long press an app, it first goes to the 3D touch items, then you have to keep holding it to rearrange apps. It's a really bad implementation in my view.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I expect this year to be fairly underwhelming. iPhone segment to be the same as last year, waffling about tech specs as if anyone cares.

“This is our greatest iPhone ever, and we know you’ll love it.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Normally change phones every year, but the XS update was laughable, this is looking almost as bad. Was somewhat interested in the reverse charging, but not if I'm loosing touch ID. It used to be the camera updates that would really sell me, but they've really fallen off. Now I'm considering Nilay Patel's advice "If photos are important, keep your iPhone and spend the money on a Sony RX".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

awec wrote: »
    I expect this year to be fairly underwhelming. iPhone segment to be the same as last year, waffling about tech specs as if anyone cares.

A lot of people only care about tech specs, something they have been very vocal about over the years.

Anyway I think the low expectations are a very good sign that the new iPhones will be well received.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

kceire wrote: »
    A bit like every phone release this year. Phones have reached a point where there’s not much left.

Short of making my tea in the morning, I’m not sure what Samsung or apple can add to any phone going forward.

Cut the size in half for starters. Motorola RAZR V4 is on the horizon along with a few more. Phones are too big at the moment. Apple should have always kept something around the iPhone 4/5 size. I've no doubt they'll probably bring back something maybe next year. If the iPod 7th Gen was given phone capabilities they wouldn't be able to keep it on the shelves.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

A lot of people only care about tech specs, something they have been very vocal about over the years.

Anyway I think the low expectations are a very good sign that the new iPhones will be well received.

Nobody cares. The only reason to talk about tech specs is you don’t have enough interesting scenarios to talk about instead.

Who gives a **** how much ram or what CPU your phone has, people want to know what they can do with it. And new Animoji’s don’t count.

Apple devices have always been relatively low specced, and it has never been an issue because nobody really cares, given how good Apple have been at nailing interesting scenarios and user experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Is it likely that the Xr will have 100 quid knocked off the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

Hmm. I dunno about the size thing. I went from an iPhone 7 Plus to an X, and really miss the larger screen. I'm gonna upgrade to an iPhone Pro Max (or whatever it's called) partially for the cameras but also for the larger size.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is it likely that the Xr will have 100 quid knocked off the price?

Doubtful, they don't like price drops but sales are in the bin as Apple's pricing is all wrong so it's possible.

I'd say the XR will stick around at a lower price range. so the line up will be

iPhone XR - basically 100$ off
    iPhone (this is the new XR)
    iPhone Pro (5.8" and 6.5" the new XS and Max).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Is it 5pm or 6pm this evening?

• Advertisement

6pm, the 5pm ones are in the spring time.

Advertisement