Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple event September 10th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

adox wrote: »
    Is it 5pm or 6pm this evening?

6pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I'd say the XR will stick around at a lower price range. so the line up will be

iPhone XR - basically 100$ off
    iPhone (this is the new XR)
    iPhone Pro (5.8" and 6.5" the new XS and Max).

This is what I expect as well. And I think it is also likely for them to keep the iPhone 8 as an entry level option for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Specs do matter of course, faster CPU’s, more RAM and faster flash storage all have meaningful impacts to a phone’s daily use.

Saying that, I do think the way Apple have presented the improvements in the past have been more meaningful. E.g instead of raw spec details, showing the percentage increase compared to the previous model. The average user can see exactly the difference without having to know anything about clock speed or cores.

I think the iPhone X was a decent size screen-wise without sacrificing too much on usability. I was never a fan of the plus models, but always wanted a larger screen. Reducing the bezels was the right way to go without offering a substantially larger phone.

All-in this event is going to be very underwhelming. Seems like Apple have definitely moved to a 3 year cycle for meaningful updates. The 6/6s/7 and then the X/XS/11 Pro being small iterations on the first version.

I still personally think Apple are killing it with the software updates, this years WWDC was great. So I’m looking forward to getting those. But the hardware has definitely lost its shine in recent years, they don’t have the standout features they once had. This will be the first year that I hold onto an iPhone for longer than 2 years but I don’t mind really. With the price of the X being bumped up a few hundred that’s another year added to the cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

Looking at the leaked renders, I find myself a little disappointed that they haven't gone for the iPad Pro/iPhone 4 form factor for the the iPhone Pro. I love that design. It's timeless. That design in a plus size with no bezels and USB C would have made a great statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Anyone know - last year when the new ones were announced, how long did it take Three to update their lineup to accommodate the new devices, and drop prices on the previous generation ones?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

iPhone 11 Pro Max cases and screen protectors all over amazon as and from today.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=iphone+11+pro+max&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

MJohnston wrote: »
    Anyone know - last year when the new ones were announced, how long did it take Three to update their lineup to accommodate the new devices, and drop prices on the previous generation ones?

Could take a few months before you see any kind of pricedrop. If we're in the first round and stock is free flow you might see it for sale in a week or so. Hopefully not a staggered launch as in launch one next week but you have to wait a month for the next one.
    I'd expect there to be stock soon this apple trick of launching a phone and no stock for months to create hype is long gone.

TBH, Apple have never had such tough competition, if there's not a 90 or 120hz screen and a battery that can get you through the weekend they may give it up. All flagships have very good cameras these days. Interesting to see what there answer to the p30 pro is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Looking at the leaked renders, I find myself a little disappointed that they haven't gone for the iPad Pro/iPhone 4 form factor for the the iPhone Pro. I love that design. It's timeless. That design in a plus size with no bezels and USB C would have made a great statement.

Didn’t they do that with the iPhone 6? They even managed to get it bendy.

I’m waiting for a strengthened iPad Pro 12.9, I want it to be 30% stronger, 15% lighter, made of aircraft grade aluminium, and for the processor to be 35% faster than the existing model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Uuuggghhh hopefully this arcade update is quick...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Atrocious so far.... next

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The 3rd party presenters are always way OTT

September 19th 4.99 a month , 1 month free is fair enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Bloody Apple Events app won't download for me on ATV for some reason.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Uuuggghhh hopefully this arcade update is quick...

They went through them pretty quick in fairness, but yeah, all these demos should be left until last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Games minus frogger looks interesting. Will try the trial, depending on the other titles I might sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,302 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well that was painless if not quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

4.99 for family subscription is excellent value.
    As long as there’s no in app purchases efx

They have to get the new subscription stuff out there

This is her first since Friends ?

They went through them pretty quick in fairness, but yeah, all these demos should be left until last.

100% Just get to the good stuff :) Wasn’t too bad in fairness to them. I guess the arcade is just zero interest to me.

• Advertisement

Decent trailer for see

So Disney plus and Apple TV plus launching in November

That’s a no brainer price.

That’s a great deal with the year with a new device. Great way to get numbers up.

So how many shows will they have when it launches ?

$4.99 with 1 year free with Apple hardware purchase that is pretty great deal

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Whether 4.99 is good value really depends on the size of the licensed catalogue. I'm guessing it's very small.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

That’s a no brainer price.

I assume they'll do a Netflix and raise prices with market share.

1 year free though is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Great price and great to get the year free. At the rumoured €10 price it wasn't gonna happen, but at that price and how the shows look I'll be signing up at launch.

Whether 4.99 is good value really depends on the size of the licensed catalogue. I'm guessing it's very small.

As Tim said it’s the price of a rental you can cancel anytime. But by the time your 1 year free runs out the catalogue will be much better.

• Advertisement

Is his name JAWS???? Haha :D

Advertisement