Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Marathon Training Advice

• 29-08-2019 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi there -

After postponing my first marathon - last April (Connemarathon , decided to do Half only due to time constraints, limited training ) I feel I am ready to think about a Full in the new year.

I know if it is Limerick - I have plenty of time but just need to advice on making sure I don't over-train ,
    the reason I have selected Limerick is that it is close to me , firstly and secondly, the heavy final months will suit my work situation.

So here is where I am at present.
    I have been running for a couple of years - limited enough mileage from 150km per month - gradually building up to 200 -240k in last 2 months.
    I've done 4 halfs in just over 1 year.
    Last 6 months -
    August 2019 - 250k / July 2019 - 225k
    / June 204k / May 213k / April 184k / March 202k

I have found myself doing a regular 10 miler on sundays and then 1 speed session (usually 2 or 3 mile repeatsfor 5k or 10k) and maybe 3 or 4 days of easy running.
    5k times around 19.15-45 / Half Marathon 1.32PB / 10k just short of 40mins
    Nothing spectacular (I'm 41 , as I said running lots of parkruns and generally as I said 150 k per month up until the past 6 months.

QUESTIONS
    1. Should I delay upping my mileage to the New Year?
    Basically, I will of course be a first time marathoner and will totally respect the distance and the extra training it will entail.
    Should I back off in terms of my mileage for a few months?
    or maintain 250k and then maybe increasing by 10 per cent in the New Year?
    Again, there will be a lot of people on here who will know a thing or 2 about injury prevention.

2. Which marathon plan would be most suitable to me? I have read some beginner ones and to be honest , quite sceptical that a marathon would be achievable with low mileage in the case of some plans. I really like the idea of 2 rest days per week and need a plan which reflects this.

3. Should I forget about "fast" (for me) runs and instead just start to log longer runs. I certainly wll dispense with fast mile reps in the new year, I presume.

4. Should I worry at all about "Easy Pace" . basically, according to most calculators will say if your 5k time is 19.00 ish - your easy pace would be around 4.55 per k.
    How can this be applied to longer runs. Im OK with easy runs in prepping for a 5k...but surely in marathon training my easy runs should be considerably slower?

5. Previously, I struggled getting enough time for runs during the week . I have done a bif of pre- breakfast running (however never on empty, always had something before heading out)
    I have really found that doing some doubles (early AM - 5 or 6k / an evening 3 or 4k ) helped me up my mileage a bit without interfering with family life. Are Doubles a good idea in my case going forward?

PS I have NO goal time for my first marathon. I just want to finish and build from there. I suppose sub 4 hours would be nice for (hopefully) a first marathon effort. However, im not putting pressure on myself vis a vis times.

THANKS SO MUCH GUYS!

Advertisement