Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clearing a classic before Brexit

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

w124man wrote: »
    The people at the NCT office that do this work are civil servants not petrolheads or employees of the NCTS. Its a pensionable job, nothing more. The civil service is a place where people who have less than two brain cells go to get a job. Politicians are people who have more than two (but less than three) brain cells and we let them make and enforce the rules.

Puzzling isn't it?

NCT irun by a private comoany: Applus. Nothing to do with civil service at all.

In fact it's because they're private that you don't have to have NCT details to tax your car.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭w124man

galwaytt wrote: »
    correct: NCTS are not the civil service

Correct: The people in the NCTS who do the VRT are civil servants. I actually never said that the people who do the NCT are civil servants, I was referring to the VRT personnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

The people at the NCT office that do this work are civil servants not petrolheads or employees of the NCTS. Its a pensionable job, nothing more. The civil service is a place where people who have less than two brain cells go to get a job. Politicians are people who have more than two (but less than three) brain cells and we let them make and enforce the rules.

Puzzling isn't it?

Personally I think that is a very disingenuous remark to make about people who work in the Civil Service. It's a job, like any other, there are certain levels of educational qualifications required to get a 'job' with the Civil Service. The fact that it's pensionable is a good thing, insofar as there is some level of comfort awaiting you at the end of your career.
    Tarring everyone with the same brush based on the fact that (in your opinion) the person in control of the VRT should have an encyclopaedic knowledge of every make and model of car put forward for presentation.
    Maybe the person in question should have presented the car for registration when they first imported it into the country.
    Possibly that's where 'brain cells' are required.

swarlb wrote: »
    Personally I think that is a very disingenuous remark to make about people who work in the Civil Service. It's a job, like any other, there are certain levels of educational qualifications required to get a 'job' with the Civil Service. The fact that it's pensionable is a good thing, insofar as there is some level of comfort awaiting you at the end of your career.
    Tarring everyone with the same brush based on the fact that (in your opinion) the person in control of the VRT should have an encyclopaedic knowledge of every make and model of car put forward for presentation.
    Maybe the person in question should have presented the car for registration when they first imported it into the country.
    Possibly that's where 'brain cells' are required.

You'd expect a dentist to know which teeth are where.

I'd expect vehicle inspection staff to be familiar with rudimentary vehicle info - and key info such as VIN info is bread & butter to the job. If they haven't got that, then the education you're referring to isn't getting us the staff our tax money deserves, and they're in the wrong job.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

JP 1800 wrote: »
    I am in a similar predicament. I bought a restoration project a few years ago and tried to VRT the car. I brought it up to the NCT center on the back of a trailer and they refused to vrt the car. I was told to have the car complete and driving before I could VRT the vehicle. I am now scrambling to complete the car to get the vrt done. Like the other poster my car will be different colours of body panel with visible welds and skims of filler. I can imagine there will be late penalties also as I will be very late paying the VRT. A ridiculous system to have in place when the earlier revenue run system was a simpler procedure.

You won’t have any penalties.

• Advertisement

The car has not been registered hence still on UK plates as they would not accept it has a road worthy vehicle at the time.

If it wasn’t roadworthy then it was not an MPV and the RT liability only arises when it becomes one. That’s why you have no penalties.

You'd expect a dentist to know which teeth are where.

I'd expect vehicle inspection staff to be familiar with rudimentary vehicle info - and key info such as VIN info is bread & butter to the job. If they haven't got that, then the education you're referring to isn't getting us the staff our tax money deserves, and they're in the wrong job.

They are working at a counter job; could just as easily be selling tickets in a cinema or checking you into a hotel.

Marcusm wrote: »
    They are working at a counter job; could just as easily be selling tickets in a cinema or checking you into a hotel.

which, perversely, can sometimes be a boon to the enthusiast ;)

Ode To The Motorist

swarlb wrote: »

I dont know who you are or what you do for a living but I do know you cant read because I never wrote or inferred that. Go back and read what I wrote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

I cleared a car Tuesday and now I've declared it off the road online . Will I recieve logbook now or will they wait until I tax it?

• Advertisement

Car99 wrote: »
    I cleared a car Tuesday and now I've declared it off the road online . Will I recieve logbook now or will they wait until I tax it?

When you tax it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

When you tax it.

So I can't sell it until I tax it , so i have to insure it to tax it . That's annoying. I didnt want to fork out for insurance before selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

you can sell it, and you don't need insurance to tax it.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JP 1800

Tried to book a VRT inspection last week and there are no dates available, anyone else have this problem. I called last Thursday and was told I would be placed on a priority list but no correspondence yet. It seems as if the vrt offices have gone into shutdown.

Tried to book a VRT inspection last week and there are no dates available, anyone else have this problem. I called last Thursday and was told I would be placed on a priority list but no correspondence yet. It seems as if the vrt offices have gone into shutdown.

...they haven't gone into shutdown....importing motorists have gone into overdrive (sic) bringing in cars, so volumes are through the roof. It's a short term spike, won't last long.

Ode To The Motorist

...they haven't gone into shutdown....importing motorists have gone into overdrive (sic) bringing in cars, so volumes are through the roof. It's a short term spike, won't last long.

In addition many Revenue staff have been diverted elsewhere due to this Brexit nonsense. If your car needs a valuation because it isnt on the system then you will certainly be in for a bit of a wait!

Advertisement