Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

to aero or not, that us the question

Options
  • 29-08-2019 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

I've the opportunity to purchase a rather stunning (IMO) Merida reacto, equipped with dura ace 11 speed groupset.
    I currently ride a bianchi impulso (campagnolo).
    The bianchi serves me well, I've rode both flanders and roubaix on it.
    I've a hankering for something a bit new/different. I do love my bianchi, but wonder if the merida passes me by, would I regret not upgrading now?

I'm a fan of campagnolo, and the bianchi is in the traditional Celeste colour. As mentioned, the merida us dura ace, so it really doesn't get much better.

Just how 'harsh' is an aero bike to ride? Any feedback on the reacto from owners is most welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Is it a disc reacto ? Because I had the rim brake version with the rear brake under the bottom bracket and I was constantly dismantling it and cleaning it out, greasing it etc... it got to the point where every Saturday evening in winter I was going maintenance on it.

But the disc brake version would be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Rim break

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    Rim break

I've had a fair few Aero bikes.. various cervelo's, currently a Trek Madone 9 RSL etc... and a lot more. The Merida was nice. It was a little stiffer than average (i.e. a little less comfortable on a long winter ride on back roads than say a traditional round tubed bike - but fine)... like I said though that brake position is dumb. Super, super dumb.

If you are only going to use it as a fair weather bike or move to a warmer country.. no problem... but if this is going to be your mail bike on crappy Irish roads that are wet, even on dry days, for 5 months of the year... then personally I wouldn't have another one.. or indeed any with a brake in that position... I mean fair enough I just about put up with it on some of my TT bikes.. but not on a road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I would suggest taking the Reacto for a spin to see what you think of it...if possible. You may hate the way it rides then again you might love it but I’d imagine it’ll be a totally different bike to your Bianchi.

Personally I’d don’t like the look of the reacto (or many other aero bikes for that matter)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

You had me at "I've the opportunity to purchase..." :)

Personally I'm firmly in the lighter-is-better camp. Nothing worse than a disappointingly heavy expensive new bike, which aero bikes invariably are. But, you clearly like it, you're funds-ready and the spec sounds good. Bear in mind you will need aero wheels which come with their own downsides (expense, cross-windy, valve extenders etc) but aero frames look sh1te on skinny wheels so you have to bite that bullet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I looked at the reacto a while back, not that version but not a million miles off. Like fat bloke says I couldn't get around the weight of it. I know people say aero trumps weight but there's something about a light bike that just feels good. I've also had a bike with the back brake on the BB, scott foil, and sold it on, just wasn't worth the hassle, seemed to be always something wrong with it. If it were me, I wouldn't bother changing, but have a go on it and see what you think. The obvious upgrade from the impulso is an oltre xr4 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Merida has fulcrum racing quatros. Cane across a giant propel, slightly more money, 105 groupset but has giant sl 50mm carbon wheels. So question is
    (A) merida, better groupset, shallow wheels
    (B) propel, 105, aero wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SfeD

I would definitely go for the wheels!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Nothing wrong with 105 and Giant wheels so propel for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I was in a Canyon pop-up store a few months ago to test ride the Endurace and Aeroad (I've previously had the Ultimate) and the sales assistant (who is obviously not paid by sales) told me to hold off if I was buying the Aeroad that it is overdue an upgrade but nothing is announced. If you are buying new I'd hold off to see either what comes out or if they are selling off old models

• Advertisement
Advertisement