Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackrock Shopping Centre

Options
  • 29-08-2019 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

Anyone know when this is due to be finished?

I went in today to Holland and Barrett and SuperValu and I honestly don't think it's safe in terms of evacuation in a situation where there's a fire or other problem. Only one ramp from the carpark to the stores - an escalator with matting for people going in both directions. Hoardings everywhere. Dust everywhere. I think they've a neck charging for parking and I sincerely hope the tenants are not having to pay for leases at the moment.

I won't be back until it's all sorted out and would suggest that they start working through the night to get it finished or else curtail the opening hours for the interim.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Isn't parking free once you buy something in supervalu? I'm sure the escalator is awkward if you have a trolley but they do have a person monitoring it and helping people with trollies if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Isn't parking free once you buy something in supervalu? I'm sure the escalator is awkward if you have a trolley but they do have a person monitoring it and helping people with trollies if needed.

It is, but not everyone wants or needs to buy stuff in SuperValu. I ended up going in there but there were only two tills open and they were operating at a snail's pace.

The G4S people on the ramp are helpful but it is still a narrow and crowded passageway for people going in both directions, many with trolleys.

TBH, it was more the tunnel-like corridors on the upper level that made me wonder about an emergency situation and made me concerned. Had an alarm gone off while I was in the bookshop or Holland & Barrett it would have been every man for himself with no clear lines of sight. An ideal training ground for Garda special forces but not for the public. :)

As I said, I hope there's a suspension of rent for the businesses in the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The stairs is still in operation too I think? I do agree though that the hoardings etc. make it tricky to find your way in and out quickly. I feel so sorry for the business up there - I mean this must be a prime time of year for Onyx bags and their schoolbag / backpack range and the shop is empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I feel so sorry for the business up there ....

+1 was there a few weeks ago and there was loud drilling going on right next door to a hair salon!

Advertisement