Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BMW F800GT motorbike - main headlamp bulb change nightmare

Options
  • 29-08-2019 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

grrrrrr. this is more a rant than anything really :)

I would have classed myself as a reasonable mechanic capable of most things. clutches, engine work you name it I’ve had a good few projects all sorts of things. but the headlamp assembly on this bike is the worst & cheapest design I think I’ve ever seen. a H7 bulb held in with a simple pinch springclip. ok grand no problem done many of this style in cars. 2 min job. but the springclip pops out because it’s held in by a tiny notch + a flimsy phillips head screw. ok so I cant get it back in without getting at the lamp plastics to undo the little phillips, clip in & new bulb, grand I thought. well holy sht. it took me 2+ hours to pull the whole front fairing assembly apart to get at the job & reassemble. UNREAL.

BMW hang your head in shame!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Ugh, I used to hate changing the bulb on the vfr and cbf, it used to always take way longer than it should. The owners manual actually said to take off the fairings and the nose, but f that, I did it the lazy man's way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Took me a full on 90 minutes of grunting, cursing and kicking anything in sight to change a bulb on my R1200GS, guess its a BMW thing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Until you change a headlight bulb in an FJR you have not been in hell. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Heh, the MSX doesn't even have a bulb in the headlight, High or low beam.
    The whole thing is one sealed LED unit.
    Maybe that's the future? Until then I can get my share of skinned and bleeding knuckles with the NT and NX bulbs..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

This......stop whinging..........:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sTry_ZhVqI

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

]guess its a BMW thing

Nah, I can change a R1100RT headlamp bulb in minutes.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭H_Lime

martco wrote: »
    grrrrrr. this is more a rant than anything really :)

I would have classed myself as a reasonable mechanic capable of most things. clutches, engine work you name it I’ve had a good few projects all sorts of things. but the headlamp assembly on this bike is the worst & cheapest design I think I’ve ever seen. a H7 bulb held in with a simple pinch springclip. ok grand no problem done many of this style in cars. 2 min job. but the springclip pops out because it’s held in by a tiny notch + a flimsy phillips head screw. ok so I cant get it back in without getting at the lamp plastics to undo the little phillips, clip in & new bulb, grand I thought. well holy sht. it took me 2+ hours to pull the whole front fairing assembly apart to get at the job & reassemble. UNREAL.

BMW hang your head in shame!!!!!!
    Ah yes, that would be "character"!;)

Advertisement