Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from radio

Options
  • 29-08-2019 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭
    °°°°°

I've been banned from the radio forum for saying another poster appeared to be a narcissist. According to the moderator (who I had disagreed with on thread yesterday) this constitutes abuse.

The user in question made a nonsensical claim which I highlighted as being nonsensical, they completely ignored this fact and continued to belligerently insist they were right. That is classic narcissistic behaviour, a narcissist is in their own opinion never wrong.

Does this constitute abuse?

Glazers Out!

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Are you appealing your ban, and if so have you attempted to resolve this directly with the mod who banned you?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Beasty wrote: »
    Are you appealing your ban, and if so have you attempted to resolve this directly with the mod who banned you?

No response from the mod and I'm not expecting one. And yes I'm appealing the ban.

I can accept a telling off for what I said but I don't believe it was abusive and worthy of a ban.

Glazers Out!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You were banned shortly after 8pm today. Please allow the mod some time to reply

°°°°°

Mod has stated they are unwilling to engage, some issues that do not relate to me or what I was banned for were mentioned as reasons for their stance.

Glazers Out!

I shall alert the CMods. Please be prepared to share you PM conversation with the mod

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Beasty wrote: »
    I shall alert the CMods. Please be prepared to share you PM conversation with the mod

No problem, thanks.

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I will have a look if you like.

°°°°°

CabanSail wrote: »
    I will have a look if you like.

Do you need anything from me?

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

nullzero wrote: »
    Do you need anything from me?

Can you please outline why you believe a three day ban was not justified. Please do not use the posts of others as they are not being discussed here. Let me know if you think the ban was excessive or if you do not feel any penalty was warranted.

Please let me see any relevant PM's with the Moderators. They can either be posted in here or sent to me privately.

°°°°°

I've forwarded the PM's to you.

Apologies for the delay in replying.

My issue is that I felt in the context of the interaction I had with the poster in question, calling them out as being a narcissist when they had displayed narcissistic traits on more than one occasion was more of an attempt to highlight their obstinace and how impossible it was to reach them with any sort of argument regardless of how obvious it was that they had made an incorrect statement (jesus we've all done it I've done it plenty of times in my life).
    The poster Meeeh- (I think I've gotten the spelling correct, maybe I haven't) displayed behaviour that was consistent with what most lay people (those of us not formally trained in psychiatric medicine) could define as being narcissistic (never wrong and unable to be anything approaching contrite).

I don't feel I was being openly abusive in saying this, I was being antagonistic, but not to the point where I was using abusive language or being threatening in any way.

My issue with the mod in question in terms of impartiality relates to a post they made in reply to me making some extremely poorly thought out comments they made in relation to menopause and the expectation (which they felt was unfair) that women should be expected to care for new born babies. I replied in quite scathing terms to that post which would perhaps be motive enough for them to take an opportunity to exact some form of retribution for that episode.

If there's anything else you need to know let me know and I'll try to get back to you quicker that I managed today.

Thanks for your time.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Thanks for your PM forwards and your time to respond. I also appreciate your civil manner.

Could you please supply the link to the other post you mention above, or the thread and post number. As you are banned you may have to log out to find it.

While you agree that you were being antagonistic you have not stated what penalty, if any, you would consider fair.

*EDIT* I have found the post regarding Menopause.

°°°°°

CabanSail wrote: »
    Thanks for your PM forwards and your time to respond. I also appreciate your civil manner.

Could you please supply the link to the other post you mention above, or the thread and post number. As you are banned you may have to log out to find it.

While you agree that you were being antagonistic you have not stated what penalty, if any, you would consider fair.

*EDIT* I have found the post regarding Menopause.

I feel that a warning could have been given to say that what I said was pushing things a little too far. I would have happily apologised and rescinded the content of my comment in the interest of keeping the thread as civil as possible.

My problem with the ban I received is that I feel a tap on the shoulder in thread or by PM to let me know that what I said was in the Moderators opinion going to far would have been a fairer and easier way of dealing with the situation.
    As things stand my perception of the situation is that I have been unfairly banned and I have taken up your time dealing with the issue.
    Had I been abusive and threatening I wouldn't have a leg to stand on here and I'd have to accept the ban, however I didn't like what was inferred by PM that perhaps I shouldnt return to the thread after the ban ended, that along with the obstinate attitude displayed by the moderator by PM only added to my feeling of being unjustly punished.

Again thank you for your time and effort (finding particular posts can be a pain).

Glazers Out!

Thanks for your reply.

I have sent a PM to A Tyrant Named Miltiades! and await a reply.

I think I have now looked at and have input from all concerned. I appreciate all parties being polite and cooperative.

It seems that the thread was starting to become heated and the aim of the Moderators was to get it back into control. An in thread warning was posted and some one day bans handed out. In this environment there was a post made which may not have been intended as a personal attack but the tone was offensive. My take is that this was not the actual intent but was the result of a heated debate. The words could have been used better and I think that has been acknowledged.

The Moderator involved has taken an active part in the debate however I am convinced that this did not cause bias. This has been confirmed in my interaction in PM. The issuing of the three day ban was an escalation on the previous one day bans issued, but they were to other posters.

When considering DRP's we do not allow the actions of others to be used as a justification. That should probably also be used here in the other way in assessing the appropriate sanctions. While the ban has now expired what I propose is that it be reversed and replaced with a Warning if it is agreed to accept it along with an undertaking to please consider the tone of posts when a debate becomes heated.

Is that acceptable?

°°°°°

The above is acceptable.

Thank you for your time an effort, its much appreciated.

Glazers Out!

Admin - Please make edits as per above and mark as resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement