Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smart pir

• 29-08-2019 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking to get a smart pir/motion sensor that works over wifi and will switch on a smart plug for a security light/s.

I have a philips hue motion sensor but it will only switch on hue bulbs and not other manufacturer smart sockets like tp link.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

If it's tplink specific, I believe they have a motion sensor for the Kasa app. Needs a router/hub though.

If you want generic sensor to work with random smart device, you might need to start looking into hosting something to control all that locally. Like home assistant. It's not super complicated, but it's far from trivial. Basically, everything talks to home assistant, and you can make automations to turn on a light or play some music based on specific events.

My living room lights dim if I turn the TV on after dark. A hue sensor tells home assistant the light levels outside, a network scan tells home assistant if my TV is on, and then based on that, it turns on/dims the lights or not

Advertisement