Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bus

• 29-08-2019 9:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭

I heard on de Radio today some company won a new tender for a bus route in Kk,
    Anyone know the route?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I thought some Galway based company was going to run it. I know I'll never use it but it was badly needed.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭Snorlaxx

was about time there was a bus to Lochboy IDA, can see a good few ppl using it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭patrickc

this is to start next Wednesday the 18th.

more info here

https://kclr96fm.com/reduced-leap-card-fares-dec-18th/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

It’s going to cause a lot of extra traffic delays around the city. At most of the bus stops, there is no where for the bus to pull in. No park and ride facility for anyone who wants to leave the car on the outskirts and avail of the bus service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Munurty

See timetables below.

Nice to see it running until nearly midnight at weekends.

TFI info

No mention of where one can get a leap card in Kilkenny.

Hopefully it gets used and the location of stops and park and ride can be developed over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭Snorlaxx

Munurty wrote: »
    See timetables below.

Nice to see it running until nearly midnight at weekends.

TFI info

No mention of where one can get a leap card in Kilkenny.

Hopefully it gets used and the location of stops and park and ride can be developed over time.

Centra do them, don't know where there is one in KK though, there seems to be a lack of Spars, Centras and londis's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

Snorlaxx wrote: »
    Centra do them, don't know where there is one in KK though, there seems to be a lack of Spars, Centras and londis's

There’s centra in johns green
    Spar have shops on callan road beside hotel Kilkenny and one on dean street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

1984baby wrote: »
    It’s going to cause a lot of extra traffic delays around the city. At most of the bus stops, there is no where for the bus to pull in. No park and ride facility for anyone who wants to leave the car on the outskirts and avail of the bus service

agree with this
    imo its going to make the traffic even worse if you are unlucky to get stuck behind one you have no way to overtake the bus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

jambofc wrote: »
    agree with this
    imo its going to make the traffic even worse if you are unlucky to get stuck behind one you have no way to overtake the bus

There's one every half hour and they are smallish buses. How much traffic jams are people expecting from them?

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    There's one every half hour and they are smallish buses. How much traffic jams are people expecting from them?

they have no parking bays for the buses just a stop in the middle of the road,most stops you wont be able to pass if a vehicle is coming from the other side,and so in turn a jam will start to form behind the bus at peak times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

There are one or two stops in awkward places, alright, but I doubt there'll be throngs of people waiting to board at some of those stops, so a little patience from the drivers 'stuck' behind the bus and there'll be no issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

jambofc wrote: »
    agree with this

And the whole point is for it to take cars off the road. Public transport does not cause traffic problems, cars do. Being from a city with a significant bus system, hundreds of times bigger than what’s happening here, getting stuck behind busses doesn’t cause much of an issue in reality.

People here are absolutely married to their cars and the attitude as seen in a few posts here are not standalone as I’ve spoken to people with similar and other “concerns”. I actually think it’s a reluctance to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

I wish they could of planned the route a bit better and brought people to the center of town to the connecting bus.

I think 2 circular routes would of been better.

If I want to go from outside Supervalu in Loughboy to McDonagh, it's going to take me 2 busses and about 1hr 15 minutes, maybe the times are not accurate but I can't see it being shorter.

Or I could get off at Ormonde road and walk to Johns Bridge and wait half an hour for another bus if I wanted to go to Purcellsinch

I want to use the bus as much as possible, but I'm not going to go on an hour trip if I can get there in 10 minutes in my car.

I hope they will still be monitoring it for improvements.

#bitchycommet: Could they not create a better map than the one on this page https://www.transportforireland.ie/kilkenny-city-services/ as nice as it is can we just have a plain map that contains the information with the stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭blackcard

Dymo wrote: »
    I wish they could of planned the route a bit better and brought people to the center of town to the connecting bus.

I think 2 circular routes would of been better.

If I want to go from outside Supervalu in Loughboy to McDonagh, it's going to take me 2 busses and about 1hr 15 minutes, maybe the times are not accurate but I can't see it being shorter.

Or I could get off at Ormonde road and walk to Johns Bridge and wait half an hour for another bus if I wanted to go to Purcellsinch

I want to use the bus as much as possible, but I'm not going to go on an hour trip if I can get there in 10 minutes in my car.

I hope they will still be monitoring it for improvements.

#bitchycommet: Could they not create a better map than the one on this page https://www.transportforireland.ie/kilkenny-city-services/ as nice as it is can we just have a plain map that contains the information with the stops.

One bus will bring you from Loughboy to Mcdonagh Junction, probably in 25 minutes except at peak time
    If you want to go from Loughboy to Purcellsinch, get off at the Market Yard where you can get another bus to Purcellsinch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭JDMC2

It drives me crazy how some people just want to find fault with everything......would you just wait a while, use the service, and see how it works!
    Íosa Chríost, it’s not going to be perfect for everyone but it’s certainly progress and better than what was there i.e.nothing!
    If it doesn’t work for you.....get a taxi.....walk......cycle....don’t go......stop whining

JDMC2 wrote: »
    It drives me crazy how some people just want to find fault with everything......would you just wait a while, use the service, and see how it works!
    sa Chrt, it’s not going to be perfect for everyone but it’s certainly progress and better than what was there i.e.nothing!
    If it doesn’t work for you.....get a taxi.....walk......cycle....don’t go......stop whining

It’s a Kilkenny disease, the ingrained negativity

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Dymo wrote: »

Like this on the page that you linked to? https://www.transportforireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Kilkenny_Leap_Card_A4_Map-WEB.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

JDMC2 wrote: »
    Íosa Chríost, it’s not going to be perfect for everyone but it’s certainly progress and better than what was there i.e.nothing!

Absolutely.

I've used it twice already and it has been surprisingly busy each time. Non peak times too.

The buses are smaller than what you'd usually see on city services, but I think it's about right. If it works very well, it's better to increase frequency than size.

• Advertisement

seen this today

Absolutely.

I've used it twice already and it has been surprisingly busy each time. Non peak times too.

The buses are smaller than what you'd usually see on city services, but I think it's about right. If it works very well, it's better to increase frequency than size.

My first time using it today so a few observations- overall happy with it but room for improvements but that's ok give it's infancy;

- first off the Info at the stops is poor and not stop specific- telling me the bus leaves every thirty mins from St Lukes or Purcellsinch means very little as I don't know necessarily know how long it takes to get to my stop

- the TFI real time app times appeared to be way off and not accurate

- The Leap card system on-board is stupid- defeats the purpose of one- I assumed it would be the same as Dublin Bus but on this you have to hand it to the driver and he taps it into his machine. Unnecessarily wasting time when it should be set up to tap on/off by the passenger/s

-No info on the front of the buses telling you where it's going (just reads blank or Coming into Service)- again unnecessarily confusing for people especially where routes intersect. Why would the management not have that set up (whole thing still has a slightly amateur feel)??

- No route info on-board anywhere in the bus

- A passenger asked the driver today where they could buy a Leap Card - he hadn't a clue and just said "You can get them online"- not very informative as I even know you can buy them now in shops around town. Basic info and briefing that they should know

- Traffic in Kilkenny was very busy and you can see the difficulty with junctions and also parked cars

If they can sort these issues though I think it has the makings of a great service once it gets bedded in properly. It does feel like they weren't fully prepared and had done very little set up and organisational work. I never saw trial buses on the routes

Some of the Journey times are widely optimistic too- there's no way it'll get from Purcellsinch to St. Lukes in 25 mins at peak rush hour- again work needs doing on the timetable as I don't think it's accurate and that will just annoy passengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

I'm all for it. Anything that reduces cars on the road, but unfortunately I don't think people will use it aside from elderly because as one poster pointed out people are OBSESSED with driving in the country.

For a young healthy person you can generally walk anywhere into town in <30 minutes.

I'm all for it. Anything that reduces cars on the road, but unfortunately I don't think people will use it aside from elderly because as one poster pointed out people are OBSESSED with driving in the country.

For a young healthy person you can generally walk anywhere into town in <30 minutes.

Seen a few buses over the past few days and there seems to be lots of people using them, especially to from the further out housing estates - I really hope it takes off and does well.
    Seems to some issues at Purcellsinch business park saying the buses can’t serve there- anyone know why that is? Hope they get it sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭blackcard

I reckon that it would take 45 minutes at peak time for buses to travel from Loughboy to the Comer road road roundabout so you would need 3 buses at 30 minute intervals to serve that route, 2 buses should be good enough for non peak times. Probably something similar on the other route. You would hope that they will come up with a proper timetable within a month or so, they should have sufficient knowledge by then. I think it could be brilliant for Kilkenny if it works out.

There’s a few pinch points alright- some streets in Kilkenny are very narrow so it’s difficult. I think it would be great if on street parking was removed from much of the centre of Kilkenny but we’re not at that mindset change yet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

road_high wrote: »
    There’s a few pinch points alright- some streets in Kilkenny are very narrow so it’s difficult. I think it would be great if on street parking was removed from much of the centre of Kilkenny but we’re not at that mindset change yet.

Certainly not, you saw what happened when they decided to put in cycle lanes and a one way system. The motorists went crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Cabaal wrote: »
    Certainly not, you saw what happened when they decided to put in cycle lanes and a one way system. The motorists went crazy

Ir wasn't the motorists, it was the business owners in the city. One high profile publican on John Street was particularly vociferous. Once he objected, it got knocked on the head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Sickens me when you visit any other country/city in europe and the world and you see how miles ahead they are with small town public transport and cycling infrastructure.

I'm of the opinion the entirety of High street should be pedestrianised only.
    Hell even Waterford could do it for John Roberts square and surrounding streets.

The amount of traffic and fumes around kilkenny city centre is a health hazard and just an utter nuisance.

Advertisement