Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Snorlaxx

Deathwish4 wrote: »
    Every timetable for this service - online and at the stops themselves - states it stops at Loughboy Retail park (Woodies etc.). This is incorrect; it stops at Loughboy Business park (Banking 365 etc). Very misleading.

It's a shame; but every single map box at the stops needs replacing. :pac::pac:

Theres also no 16:30 service (i was told by the driver) from there(banking 365)
    you would think that would be the one they should have cos everyone(or most) finish around then

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

I see they have the routes on the buses now on the proper display

also I see a city direct bus operating on it too, they mustn't have got all their buses just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Snorlaxx wrote: »
    Theres also no 16:30 service (i was told by the driver) from there(banking 365)
    you would think that would be the one they should have cos everyone(or most) finish around then

There’s one at 16.40 which is perfect time for people to get out and walk over to the stop. Also another at 17.10 and 17.40. The frequency of the service is the best thing about it in my opinion, lots of options every half hour

• Registered Users Posts: 36,070 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Why are huge buses needed to carry 2 people at a time. I've never seen anyone on those buses. Greta is spinning in her grave.

Why are huge buses needed to carry 2 people at a time. I've never seen anyone on those buses. Greta is spinning in her grave.

Funny I see lots of people on them. Always been people on it the times I’ve used it too. Size wise they’re perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

There not that big and need to be wheel chair accessible

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

greenspurs wrote: »
    And killed off the city centre.

Its the one of the main things that keeps a city centre look/seem alive is traffic going through it.

Countless city's around the world suggest otherwise,
    If you think traffic choking a city centre adds anything good then you don't understand what makes a city centre good and interesting.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bus takes up as much space as about 2/3 cars,
    Here you are posting about a bus taking us space when it carries people and at the same time being disingenous by claiming they only carry 2 people at a time.

But yet you think its ok for the vast majority of cars to carry only one person
    :rolleyes:

Cabaal wrote: »
    Bus takes up as much space as about 2/3 cars,
    Here you are posting about a bus taking us space when it carries people and at the same time being disingenous by claiming they only carry 2 people at a time.

But yet you think its ok for the vast majority of cars to carry only one person
    :rolleyes:

And also loosely refering to the environment where public transport is well proven to be more emissions friendly- so long as people get off their arses and use it instead of knocking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

Yes, how silly of them not to invest in two-people buses.

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    There’s one at 16.40 which is perfect time for people to get out and walk over to the stop. Also another at 17.10 and 17.40. The frequency of the service is the best thing about it in my opinion, lots of options every half hour

Sorry thats the time I ment, I'll test it again this friday and see does it show(i know it did today so might have been an off day last week)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Geog1234

Still waiting since 4:00 for the 4:10 from lochboy, guessing there isn't such a service. (2nd time no showing)
    Integrity at it's best for this company

Chalk one down to another 16:10 from Lochboy not showing up.
    Guess its a trend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Snorlaxx wrote: »
    Chalk one down to another 16:10 from Lochboy not showing up.
    Guess its a trend

Maybe your in the wrong place, it's Loughboy ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Comerman wrote: »
    Maybe your in the wrong place, it's Loughboy ;-)

Apologies Snorlaxx, poor attempt at humour. May give up the drink ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

I used it for the first time yesterday, there was 17 people on the Bus at the one time, was only 5 minutes late.

On the way home it was 20 minutes late, which if you coming up from town could be confusing as the KK2 arrived when the KK1 should be there. I think it's getting more popular I could hear people saying this is there first time on the new Kilkenny Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

There is a bus stop just before the Ring road roundabout coming from Carlow direction (old road).
    This bus stop has hatched white lines on either side of it which I always took to mean you can't drive on, this means traffic turning left on to the ring Road now has to get into the right lane and then back to the left lane to turn left.
    I did this the other day and almost got sideswiped by someone driving over the bus stop on the left.
    Anyway just wondering what the correct approach should be?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

hi5 wrote: »
    There is a bus stop just before the Ring road roundabout coming from Carlow direction (old road).
    This bus stop has hatched white lines on either side of it which I always took to mean you can't drive on, this means traffic turning left on to the ring Road now has to get into the right lane and then back to the left lane to turn left.
    I did this the other day and almost got sideswiped by someone driving over the bus stop on the left.
    Anyway just wondering what the correct approach should be?

You can stay in the left lane and drive through it.

Dymo wrote: »
    On the way home it was 20 minutes late, which if you coming up from town could be confusing as the KK2 arrived when the KK1 should be there. I think it's getting more popular I could hear people saying this is there first time on the new Kilkenny Service.

The buses being late thing is going to be a awkward one to fix in Kilkenny, there's a lack of bus lanes and priority given to buses on roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

I've used the bus service three times, twice it was bang on the advertised time and the third time it was about 4 minutes late.

If they can keep it running some way right I'd imagine it'll be hugely popular in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭lausp

Got the bus for the second time over the weekend.

Very handy as others have said but a couple of issues.

Firstly, it was 4 minutes early and definitely only stopped because I was waiting. To me this is completely unacceptable as to be used it needs to be reliable.

Next, the bus stop didn't have the times for that stop on it, only what time it left the first stop - completely useless information to be honest.

With some fine tuning it should be a great service but they simply cannot be driving past bus stops prior to the scheduled time or people will assume it hasn't arrived, and with 30 minute intervals it's too long to wait around for the next one.

Also, this was Saturday evening and I was the only one on it.

It occurred to me that if they ran the buses an hour or two later on a Friday and Saturday night it should also do very well for the social drinkers and people going out for meals etc. You probably don't want the nightclub crowds but it surely would do well out of folks going home by 1am.

Yea I agree the stop info is ridiculous. It's just same generic on my local stop- tells me it leaves every 30 mins from Purcellesinch Business Park which is completely meaningless as you're supposed to guess how long that will then take to your stop!
    I use the TFI app but for older people this is completely above their heads. They should install those real-time electronic signs, at least at the busier main stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

road_high wrote: »
    Yea I agree the stop info is ridiculous. It's just same generic on my local stop- tells me it leaves every 30 mins from Purcellesinch Business Park which is completely meaningless as you're supposed to guess how long that will then take to your stop!
    I use the TFI app but for older people this is completely above their heads. They should install those real-time electronic signs, at least at the busier main stops.

Not just for older people is the TFI App pointless; I don't do Smartphones (am trying to flog the one I got from Vodafone; only got it cos I'd enough Cherry Points at the time & they were doing away with them so said I'd take the plunge; wasted on me it was!!).

Used it today myself for first time ever; I live in Carlow and got the train across @ 1409 arriving for 1438; had naively thought it might use the railway station yard as a pick up point but the stop itself isn't overly onerous either; though those lifts working'd be handy for someone with buggy/mobility impaired etc. to access that stop.

Don't do Leap Cards so the €1 or €1.80 promotional fare til St. Patks. Day Tuesday the 17th of March didn't apply; €2 from McDonagh S.C. to Leggetsrath was more than reasonable & same return; I did raise an eyebrow or two when it began doing its mystery tour of going all round the houses.....literally!!

That said that area of the city is now more accessible & the Eurospar & LIDL will do well from it.

While I'd a query up in General Cat Chat forum on here about bus times ultimately it didn't affect me not knowing; there was someone at the outward bus stop for KK 2 before me & then coming in it said every 30 mins. anyway so I could gauge things.

Happy enough with my 1st trip; gutted to've missed the 3:30 train back & having to wait til 7 O'Clock; that train station building is little more than a barn & can never see point of turning on radiators when it p****s out the door.

If I interpreted my ticket right that €2 would've got me all the way from Purcellsinch to St. Lukes?
    Whopper of a journey & that's an absolute bargain; I can see why cabbies might have an issue ha ha!

With Dublin Bus the different zones mean different prices; will KK 1 & 2 remain at the one rate going forward or will they do zones too?

Get a Leap card. Handiest thing ever and cheaper fares.
    You’re right about the fare structure. It’s very silly and discourages short hops

lausp wrote: »

Next, the bus stop didn't have the times for that stop on it, only what time it left the first stop - completely useless information to be honest.

On the Bus Stops my understanding is it tells you the time to expect the Bus.

i.e.
    Loughboy says it will arrive at 10 past the hour and 40 past the hour.

so 8:10 and 8:40
    9:10 and 9:40
    10:10 and 10:40
    11:10 and 11:40
    12:10 and 12:40 etc...

The next stop will then say
    8:15 and 8:45
    9:15 and 9:45
    10:15 and 10:45 etc...

KK1 Timetable → https://www.transportforireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Kilkenny-Online-Timetables-KK1.pdf

KK2 Timetable → https://www.transportforireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Kilkenny-Online-Timetables-KK2.pdf

Watched a very strange scene on Saturday evening down in Dean Street, bus was coming out of the junction and turning left onto Dean Street, a women turning right up ntowards Irishtown had stopped way over the stop line and because of this the bus couldn't turn left. (not enough road clearerence)

She made zero effort to reverse even though the car behind her gave her about 15feet of space and the bus obviously wasn't moving.
    I was about to cross the road to tell her to reverse her car so everyone can move on when in a fit of anger she turned into the left straight on lane, drove through a red light and then turned up towards Irishtown.,

Some people shouldn't be allowed to drive.

On the Bus Stops my understanding is it tells you the time to expect the Bus.

i.e.
    Loughboy says it will arrive at 10 past the hour and 40 past the hour.

so 8:10 and 8:40
    9:10 and 9:40
    10:10 and 10:40
    11:10 and 11:40
    12:10 and 12:40 etc...

The next stop will then say
    8:15 and 8:45
    9:15 and 9:45
    10:15 and 10:45 etc...

KK1 Timetable → https://www.transportforireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Kilkenny-Online-Timetables-KK1.pdf

KK2 Timetable → https://www.transportforireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Kilkenny-Online-Timetables-KK2.pdf

I'm afraid your understanding is wrong..

Each bus stop states when it leaves the first stop on that route only and not that stop.

For example. The castlecomer road timetable schedule Saturday was 5 past and 35 mins past the hour, but the only info on the sign at the stop was that it left Loughboy at 10 past and 40 mins past the hour. Each stop only has this information on it, which is completely useless.

lausp wrote: »
    I'm afraid your understanding is wrong..

Each bus stop states when it leaves the first stop on that route only and not that stop.

For example. The castlecomer road timetable schedule Saturday was 5 past and 35 mins past the hour, but the only info on the sign at the stop was that it left Loughboy at 10 past and 40 mins past the hour. Each stop only has this information on it, which is completely useless.

The signs are useless then, and looking at the time table here every stop has a precise minute https://www.transportforireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Kilkenny-Online-Timetables-KK1.pdf

Between that and the naming of the Loughboy retail park on the map, there should be some changes done.

• Advertisement

The signs are useless then, and looking at the time table here every stop has a precise minute https://www.transportforireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Kilkenny-Online-Timetables-KK1.pdf

Between that and the naming of the Loughboy retail park on the map, there should be some changes done.

Exactly, with a few tweaks to things it could be a lot better, but as I mentioned, the buses at a minimum should not be speeding past stops early.

Advertisement