Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single Storey Extension in Dublin

Options
  • 29-08-2019 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I would like to price a single storey rectangular extension of around 35-40sqm in the back garden based in Dublin.

The wall and window of the back room will have to be taken down to join the rectangle room overlooking the garden giving an "L" shape. One side of the extension wall will be facing the boundary with no windows etc. Just a solid wall.

I'm thinking of having french, patio, slide or bi-fold doors for the other side of the wall opening to the garden. Finished off with floor to ceiling glass. Is this cheaper than a solid wall?

I'd also like to have the roof completed with roof tiles and probably some skylights.

Internally the walls can be just painted, no tiling, etc. required. The flooring could be wood or carpeted whichever is cheaper.

There are no drains, pipes, etc. that need to be moved.

How much will I possibly be looking at?

Any further advice?

In case its not obvious, I am looking to use the cheapest possible options - solid wall or glass, wood or carpet or tiles, etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

circlek wrote: »
    I would like to price a single storey rectangular extension of around 35-40sqm in the back garden based in Dublin.

The wall and window of the back room will have to be taken down to join the rectangle room overlooking the garden giving an "L" shape. One side of the extension wall will be facing the boundary with no windows etc. Just a solid wall.

I'm thinking of having french, patio, slide or bi-fold doors for the other side of the wall opening to the garden. Finished off with floor to ceiling glass. Is this cheaper than a solid wall?

I'd also like to have the roof completed with roof tiles and probably some skylights.

Internally the walls can be just painted, no tiling, etc. required. The flooring could be wood or carpeted whichever is cheaper.

There are no drains, pipes, etc. that need to be moved.

How much will I possibly be looking at?

Any further advice?

In case its not obvious, I am looking to use the cheapest possible options - solid wall or glass, wood or carpet or tiles, etc.

Thanks

80k ready for move in

• Registered Users Posts: 40 circlek

Could someone provide me with contact details for quotes for such a job?

Also, can a breakdown be made on what all I'll be looking at - services, materia, etc.

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Recommendations on specific companies by PM thanks

circlek wrote: »
    Also, can a breakdown be made on what all I'll be looking at - services, materia, etc.

Thanks

That’s what you engage a QS for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭scwazrh

kceire wrote: »
    That’s what you engage a QS for.

Or get 3 quotes from builders for a realistic cost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

kceire wrote: »
    80k ready for move in

I know you know a lot about all this stuff, but surely it couldn't be that much. A few years ago it was 1K/m2, then about a year ago it was said to be 1.5k/m2. Now you're saying it's 2K/m2? Plus no mention of quality? Is that top end, zinc roof etc.?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

best not to confuse +100m2 green field self-builds housing rule-of-thumb costs with extension rule-of-thumb costs

fatbhoy wrote: »
    I know you know a lot about all this stuff, but surely it couldn't be that much. A few years ago it was 1K/m2, then about a year ago it was said to be 1.5k/m2. Now you're saying it's 2K/m2? Plus no mention of quality? Is that top end, zinc roof etc.?

This is not a basic extension.
    The OP said the whole back wall of the main house has to be removed.
    Full wall of floor to ceiling glazing with a 40Sq. M extension.

The structural requirements alongside the OP’s design idea in the post, I think we can assume this is or wants to be a high end finish.

It was never €1k per square meter by the way for new build so do t m ow where that figure came from.

It’s been 2k a sq. M for some time now as a beer may calculation for people.

Advertisement