Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inspection from Dublin City Council

Options
  • 30-08-2019 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

We got a letter from the Council saying they're going to carry out an inspection of the property we rent, it's a house split into flats on the Southside of the city. Does anyone have any experience of this and what could happen? I am slightly worried the house isn't up to standard and the landlord would be forced to turf us out, which wouldn't be ideal as we're looking to buy soon, but we have set timeline for this.

Anyone got any experience with this?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Lux23 wrote: »
    We got a letter from the Council saying they're going to carry out an inspection of the property we rent, it's a house split into flats on the Southside of the city. Does anyone have any experience of this and what could happen? I am slightly worried the house isn't up to standard and the landlord would be forced to turf us out, which wouldn't be ideal as we're looking to buy soon, but we have set timeline for this.

Anyone got any experience with this?

They check for the minimum rental standards.
    Smoke detection
    Heat detection
    Windows and restrictors to prevent fall8ng
    Ventilation

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Conditional Surveys. Make sure they have I.D. All of DCC housing stock is part of this survey.

mad m wrote: »
    Conditional Surveys. Make sure they have I.D. All of DCC housing stock is part of this survey.

Anyone getting HAP is part of the inspection process too. I got one on my rental last week.

kceire wrote: »
    Anyone getting HAP is part of the inspection process too. I got one on my rental last week.

@kceire I’d be very surprised you didn’t pass :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What would happen if a tenant refused to allow the inspection?

• Advertisement

Any social payment may stop, so HAP etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Well, my partner isn't working that day so he will probably be there, but there is no way I am taking time off to make sure they get in!

AFAIK , the surveyors who don’t gain access with let council know and council will make suitable arrangements to gain access.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

AFAIK , the surveyors who don’t gain access with let council know and council will make suitable arrangements to gain access.

At a guess, if your not in receipt of some social welfare payments, you could just ignore them. I can't see them having any real power to force themselves into properties.

At a guess, if your not in receipt of some social welfare payments, you could just ignore them. I can't see them having any real power to force themselves into properties.

The council still own the house and as part of tenancy agreement may need access if required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

kceire wrote: »

Meanwhile their own rented properties escape inspection

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The council still own the house and as part of tenancy agreement may need access if required.

It's not a council house(house split into flats), both people work. Seems this is just a normal rental randomly picked. Knowing how councils actually work, if you just ignored them they would just drop it.

Knowing how councils actually work, if you just ignored them they would just drop it.

No, that's not what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

It's not a council house(house split into flats), both people work. Seems this is just a normal rental randomly picked. Knowing how councils actually work, if you just ignored them they would just drop it.

The landlord has been working on the place all week, so he's going to let them in. Most of the tenants won't be there as they all seem to work apart from one student.

Advertisement