Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My account balance is not updating properly

Options
  • 30-08-2019 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

Hi there
    Just wondering if ye are having issues with account balances not showing/clearing properly?
    I have always had issues with this going on 3 years now.
    Example of would be,there are many times if I were to withdraw 80 today,it would reflect on balance initially but possibly 3 days later it would be back om my account then it would go again another day after.
    I understand about pending payments and the the app may not always be accurate but its never been corrected.
    This week none of my cash withdrawls or purchases have come off my balance at all and I find it annoying that I can never be sure what my balance is

Can you let me know if anything can be done about this?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kathryne

Hi Howyanow,

Thank you for reaching out to us here with your query today.

We understand your concerns and how the process of transactions updating can be frustrating. We will certainly raise your feedback about this.

[font=Calibri","sans-serif]When you make a purchase with a retailer they will usually pre-authorise the amount on your debit card. This debits the amount of the transaction and will show up as a "pending transaction". When the retailer fully completes the payment on their side they will release the pending payment and debit the completed amount. This means the payment is fully updated and complete.[/font]
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]

[font=Calibri","sans-serif]Sometimes a retailer will "release" a pending payment and debit the full amount after a day or two. This is how your ATM withdrawal dropped off and came back a few days later. When the merchant completes their bookkeeping they will reapply for the funds and it will complete on your Online Banking. This is more common at weekends or Bank Holidays.[/font]

[font=Calibri","sans-serif]Many thanks,[/font]

[font=Calibri","sans-serif]Kat[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

Thanks for your reply and it aĺl makes sense,just tricky to follow at times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kathryne

Hi Howyanow,

Thanks for coming back to us.

I completely understand that it can be tricky to follow. We’re currently developing a new app which will help speed up how transactions progress on our end. We’ll let you know as soon as we have a release date and you can check it out.

We hope you have a lovely weekend.

Many thanks,
    Kat

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

But if the new app is cloning the processing of the old app, these issues won't be fixed. Is anyone fixing up the bank holiday issue?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

howyanow wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply and it aĺl makes sense,just tricky to follow at times!

This issue has been going on far too long and BOI consistently blame the retailers. It is completely unacceptable that a supposedly competent bank cannot supply a reliable balance to their customers. If it was a retailer issue then why don’t all the banks have this problem?

And claiming they will bring it to the attention of someone else is just fobbing off customers ad nauseam.

Surely supplying an accurate balance should be the most basic competence of any bank?

Have a look at this for example:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/bank-of-ireland-app-fails-to-show-balance-in-real-time-1.3467025

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi Howyanow,

Thanks for coming back to us.

I completely understand that it can be tricky to follow. We’re currently developing a new app which will help speed up how transactions progress on our end. We’ll let you know as soon as we have a release date and you can check it out.

We hope you have a lovely weekend.

Many thanks,
    Kat

How can an app speed up your internal processes?

Also your reply to the opp referred to merchant transactions but the opp specifically referred to cash withdrawals - why didn’t you address this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭Tow

The problem stems from their core banking systems and multiple databases.  The reasons are well known and have been discussed here before.  It remains to be seen if the current spend will result in much of an improvement.  Last I heard the consultants were in disagreement with each other and the staff did not have much say in matters.  Time for a few pints and a update :-)  An interesting comparison is Revenue's PAYE Modernisation project its  architecture and implementation.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Advertisement