Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is a garden shed that overhangs the party wall legal ?

• 30-08-2019 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

My neighbour recently erected a large garden shed next door to me in his rear garden area. He kept the shed so close to the block party wall between us that he used the party wall as a scaffold to erect the metal roof panels without any consultation with me. When he had finished the shed I noticed that under heavy rain conditions the shed actually deposited rainwater into my garden. I complained to Kilkenny CC about this nuisance. About six weeks after I complained he came back to shed and fitted a gutter on the side of the shed adjoining my property which diverted the rainwater coming off the roof of the shed elsewhere. He also used the party wall as a scaffold whilst erecting the gutter. The latter overhangs the party wall by 140mm or so. Is it legal to overhang a party wall with any part of a garden shed ?

The use of the party wall to both erect the shed in the first instance and to maintain it (fix the gutter) gives him a vantage point on my property which he should not have at all and has implications for my privacy and security. Have I got the right to complain to KCC about this and ask them to force him to relocate the shed elsewhere in his garden so that it does not have an impact on my property ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

Did he apply for planning to erect the shed?

On no account is your neighbour allowed to erect any structure which intrudes over the boundary wall between your properties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I presume your not friends as the gutter wouldn’t have been a problem if you were but obviously he shouldn’t have anything overhanging into your garden. Is it 140mm on your side of the wall or in total?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭kieranwaldron

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    I presume your not friends as the gutter wouldn’t have been a problem if you were but obviously he shouldn’t have anything overhanging into your garden. Is it 140mm on your side of the wall or in total?

You are right to assume we are not friends as we have had other issues going back a few years. The gutter overhangs the 220mm thick block party wall by 140mm and doesn't intrude into my garden area.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You are right to assume we are not friends as we have had other issues going back a few years. The gutter overhangs the 220mm thick block party wall by 140mm and doesn't intrude into my garden area.

So he is 30mm over the theoretical boundary.
    He should have kept it within his site.

Standing on the wall to fix the roof or similar is a non issue. It’s a temporary prop to aid in doing something so that’s irrelevant.

The overhanging or oversailing the boundary is an issue and you cannot enjoy the planning exemptions if any part of the structure is outside the curtilage or the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭kieranwaldron

kceire wrote: »
    So he is 30mm over the theoretical boundary.
    He should have kept it within his site.

Standing on the wall to fix the roof or similar is a non issue. It’s a temporary prop to aid in doing something so that’s irrelevant.

The overhanging or oversailing the boundary is an issue and you cannot enjoy the planning exemptions if any part of the structure is outside the curtilage or the site.

As far as I know the whole of the boundary wall in this country is jointly owned by both parties on either side it, so a theoretical line down the middle of the wall is not particularly relevant.

I think the use of the boundary wall in the first instance to fix the roof panels is a valid complaint by me. If the shed needs maintenance at any time in the future it siting gives him the right to walk on the party wall to carry the works out, and he could snoop all over my rear garden area at the same time. If the shed was sited away from the wall this would not happen,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Gutter shouldn’t overhang. But that’s about it. If you can’t live with it, and are willing to fall out further, your next steps are to contact the council again stating the roof overhangs, and then seek professional planning advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

As far as I know the whole of the boundary wall in this country is jointly owned by both parties on either side it, so a theoretical line down the middle of the wall is not particularly relevant.

I think the use of the boundary wall in the first instance to fix the roof panels is a valid complaint by me. If the shed needs maintenance at any time in the future it siting gives him the right to walk on the party wall to carry the works out, and he could snoop all over my rear garden area at the same time. If the shed was sited away from the wall this would not happen,

Is this not going a bit overboard?
    Does anyone really care what's going on in their neighbours back garden.

It's hardly an issue, no more so than he could just get a ladder and look into your garden anytime he wants if it something he wanted to do.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You’d be wrong in assuming that.
    An Board Pleanala has precedent in confirming applications where the flashing is dressed onto the applicants side of the boundary wall and thus declared them exempt as within the curtalige of the dwelling.

Most recent is one in Kildare. I’ll try root out the file ref.

With regards the snooping, can he not see your back garden already if he looks out his uostairs windows? If the shed was a foot inside the boundary, and he was on a ladder fixing the roof he can still see I to your garden, is this still snooping?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭SC024

I think its a bit facetious tbh. Try find something a bit more productive to do with your time

Advertisement