Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No DPM in shed concreate base. Problem?

• 30-08-2019 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

i'm not sure if there's a DPM in the concrete base of our shed. The concrete base is 9 inches deep, with rebar mesh.

Would a shed base without DPM likely cause issues in future?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i'm not sure if there's a DPM in the concrete base of our shed. The concrete base is 9 inches deep, with rebar mesh.

Would a shed base without DPM likely cause issues in future?

Block built shed?
    Or is it a slab for placing a timber shed onto it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

kceire wrote: »
    Block built shed?
    Or is it a slab for placing a timber shed onto it?

Right now there's no shed - only the base had been poured. I intend to build a block shed on top of it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Right now there's no shed - only the base had been poured. I intend to build a block shed on top of it though.

You could put one down and use timber floor above it. Should work the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

Xcellor wrote: »
    You could put one down and use timber floor above it. Should work the same.

I'm just wondering is it a problem if there is none. Would moisture permeate up through 9 inches of concrete?

Worse case scenario we could tank the floor and tile on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,168 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Surely if you're building a block shed you can just put down DPM on the slab and lap up and over blocks to form a DPC? And then pour a floor or whatever depending on what loads you're having and what sort of threshold you're planning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,142 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just put one down. As stated above. Tanking is an awful mess. Hate he stuff terrible to work with and you've to work in lightning speed.

Not having one in the shed you'll regret

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

So the slab is the
    Foundation?

What will the walls be bearing onto?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

What's the shed to be used for is the pertinent question. If it's for a lawnmower and other such tools then no issue. I have same base on my shed. 6m by 6m. Block on flat walls and cladded roof. No dpc on slab. Bone dry, just used for bikes lawnmower timber etc

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Ak84

I would imagine any moisture will just evaporate into the air.
    As long as the base is above ground I don't see any issue.
    Damp proofing is to protect timber floors and carpets if I am not mistaken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,168 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Ak84 wrote: »
    I would imagine any moisture will just evaporate into the air.
    As long as the base is above ground I don't see any issue.
    Damp proofing is to protect timber floors and carpets if I am not mistaken.
    You can get mould on damp concrete, depending on ventilation. I have it in my unheated basement. It's pretty grim. The amount of ingress depends on ground conditions, drainage and height of slab compared to ground level.

• Advertisement
Advertisement