Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why has craft beer and cask Ale not taken off in Irish pubs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

thegills wrote: »
    I asked my local in Killaloe if they had any craft beer and they pointed to a can of Carslberg.

Did he serve taytos and pink shnacks too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

lufties wrote: »
    Wary why? You'd think we'd consider own instead of foreign conglomerates. Especially when clearly the quality is better.

I guess most Irish people are happy with the muck they drink in pubs, otherwise things would change.

Having lived in Germany the choice was great too, going back to Irish pubs seems archaic in some ways considering how we pride ourselves on booze culture.

Because they know what's on the taps will sell and any new product from the big 3 and a half is usually accompanied by free kegs and so on.
    Ok, I'm comparing yorkshire with Ireland. In yorkshire you can walk into a pub without being met with at least 5 smaller brewers. Yes, I realise it's in the UK, but it's so refreshing.
    Btw Clare is not a small county.

A vast amount of pubs in Yorkshire will have four or five taps from two breweries - the owner and Diageo (Guinness). Nothing else. Same all across the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

genuine question....

I love nothing more than a cold pint... but any of these ales/home brews are lukewarm... I've found a blonde before which was chilled but it wasn't great....

What are my options? I just usually grab Bierra Moreti or Peroni instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

A large swathe of the population is weird about food or drink. Chicken balls from the Chinese and bud and guinness or Coors light. I live in a corpo estate and that's all they drink.
    Its funny though now some of them drink Rockshore because of the advertising and colours. They knew what they were doing. Irish people love yellow flavourless piss. So do i sometimrs but variety is the spice of life.

arccosh wrote: »
    genuine question....

I love nothing more than a cold pint... but any of these ales/home brews are lukewarm... I've found a blonde before which was chilled but it wasn't great....

What are my options? I just usually grab Bierra Moreti or Peroni instead

The vast majority of Irish craft beer is served chilled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Irish publicans are too greedy and charge a fortune for craft beer... so less people try it... simple as that .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Lil Sally Anne Jnr.

Stupid thread populated by amateurs. Lots of craft ales on tap in Cork, and if you know where to look you'll get bottles of lambic, sours, even imperial stouts. Love a lambic or geuze, but love my pints of Guinness too. Gone on ta phuck with your British ales. The Brits wouldn't know how to make a daycent pub even if meant leaving the EU.

Ok, I'm comparing yorkshire with Ireland. In yorkshire you can walk into a pub without being met with at least 5 smaller brewers. Yes, I realise it's in the UK, but it's so refreshing.
    Btw Clare is not a small county.

Clare has a much smaller population than Dublin, that was the implication.

Segment of OP I took issue with, and addressed:
    However, I never see them in Irish pubs outside Dublin. I've visited a few pubs recently in Tipp and Clare, they all serve the same mass produced rubbish.

Your initial claim. If you expect to float in to any pub down the country and be greeted with a plethora of craft ales then you are misguided. However, they aren't hard to find within a matter of seconds on the internet.

Stupid thread populated by amateurs. Lots of craft ales on tap in Cork, and if you know where to look you'll get bottles of lambic, sours, even imperial stouts. Love a lambic or geuze, but love my pints of Guinness too. Gone on ta phuck with your British ales. The Brits wouldn't know how to make a daycent pub even if meant leaving the EU.

That's your opinion, I drink great ales here in Yorkshire.

Keep drinking your drain cleaner like a good sheep.

Clare has a much smaller population than Dublin, that was the implication.

Segment of OP I took issue with, and addressed:

Your initial claim. If you expect to float in to any pub down the country and be greeted with a plethora of craft ales then you are misguided. However, they aren't hard to find within a matter of seconds on the internet.

As I said, kilkee has none, also I stopped in a big pub outside limerick on the way, standard ****e. Same in tipperary.

I dont expect a plethora, just one or two would do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Tis a pity. I normally go out once a week on a weekday in a county town. I like to visit maybe 4 pubs in town of a night so I mostly stick to what's available in all four ie carlsberg or H. I think from what I heard diagio have too much of a hold on the pubs and can influence what they stock

What do you mean by 'have too much of a hold'?
    Well I've heard of cash and in kind sweeteners to certain pubs to keep the competition away from the taps where the cash flow is an then they've snookered the bar owner by providing their own "craft" beers like hop House, cute hoor an the like.. Now that's just my opinion mind

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

@ lufties, I suggest that you be careful with the tone of your posts, a lot of them are borderline abusive and trollish and that won't be tolerated in this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Well I've heard of cash and in kind sweeteners to certain pubs to keep the competition away from the taps where the cash flow is an then they've snookered the bar owner by providing their own "craft" beers like hop House, cute hoor an the like.. Now that's just my opinion mind

It's not just your opinion...
    https://fora.ie/heineken-ireland-drinks-deals-3790360-Jan2018/

IRELAND’S COMPETITION WATCHDOG will not launch a full investigation into Heineken Ireland’s exclusive deals with sellers despite citing fears that the drinks giant could be unfairly shutting rivals out.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Lil Sally Anne Jnr.

That's your opinion, I drink great ales here in Yorkshire.

Keep drinking your drain cleaner like a good sheep.

Very well acquainted with Yorkshire. Lovely looking pubs on the outside, table quizzes, bingo, and people drinking mediocre ales and Guinness knock offs inside.

@ lufties, I suggest that you be careful with the tone of your posts, a lot of them are borderline abusive and trollish and that won't be tolerated in this forum.

I'd say check out some of the other posters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Gosh, that's unbelievable. I was in kilkee recently and the standard ****e was on tap everywhere. The edgiest drink I could get was beamish lol.

O yeah , Treaty City sold in most pubs in kilkee

Very well acquainted with Yorkshire. Lovely looking pubs on the outside, table quizzes, bingo, and people drinking mediocre ales and Guinness knock offs inside.

Not any of the places I've been, perhaps you were in the dingier places? One thing about England is the class system. Some real crap holes, but also real gems.

Ireland tends to have a bit more balance.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

All this chat has me mad for a pint now! :D Might have to treat myself to something from Mother Mac's...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd say check out some of the other posters

You're the only one being uncivil and insulting. Consider this your last warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,470 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

O yeah , Treaty City sold in most pubs in kilkee

Their red ale is fantastic! Highly recommended.

• Advertisement

You're the only one being uncivil and insulting. Consider this your last warning.

I couldn't give a damn. Close the thread and ban me please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Are you starting to see note Lagunitas in Ireland, since the Heineken buy out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,470 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I couldn't give a damn. Close the thread and ban me please.

Not tonight bud.

489511.jpg

Ipso wrote: »
    Are you starting to see note Lagunitas in Ireland, since the Heineken buy out.

Increasingly common, both draught and cans/bottles in off licences that would not have done imported product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

Hi, just an observation. Ireland has some fantastic micro brewers, solas being my favourite currently. However, I never see them in Irish pubs outside Dublin. I've visited a few pubs recently in Tipp and Clare, they all serve the same mass produced rubbish.
    I live in Yorkshire, and every pub serves different ales ranging from 3.5% upwards. It's a shame it doesn't take off in Ireland as I'm sick of returning home to the same old Guinness, Heineken etc.

Honestly? Advertising.

Every pub in the country sells Budweiser and Heineken. They're not fit for human consumption yet they're the go to "beers" for a good chunk of the population.

My local got in a range of the McGargles stuff a few years ago, it's a lot better than the commercial mass produced stuff, it was being handed out for FREE for anyone who wanted to try it at the start yet everyone still went back to the drain cleaner Budweiser and Mcgargles died a death. People are used to this muck and they're not willing to change.
    People like what they know and know what they like. If all you've ever drunk is bland gassy piss.

If it was McGargles in its very early days, the macros were better... I drank it out of a vague feeling of duty (its local. It was also cheap then). A red that was nearly black, an bafflingly strong* IPA (that was red) and a watery stout were the original offerings as far as I remember.

Turnaround in taste and quality is astounding.

*for the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

lufties wrote:
    Did he serve taytos and pink shnacks too?

Surprisingly had a great selection of mainstream and specialty crisps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

L1011 wrote: »
    The vast majority of Irish craft beer is served chilled.

Nor should it be. Cold beer hides the flavours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

LillySV wrote: »
    Irish publicans are too greedy and charge a fortune for craft beer... so less people try it... simple as that .

Really? Have you ever looked fir craft beer in an off-licence ? Stonewell is pretty much the same price as in pubs. They just can’t compeye on mass produced pi55

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The answer is....margins

Advertisement