Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why has craft beer and cask Ale not taken off in Irish pubs?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭machaseh

Nope. Mass produced lagers - your Heinekens, Carlsbergs, Rockshores, Budweisers, Coors, etc. - might be purposefully light in taste but I doubt that's so you can drink more of it, it's moreso that brewing a lager with flavour requires more grain types, more hops, and often longer fermentation - which all adds to the cost.

Proof: any of the wonderful traditional continental lagers you can get in a decent offie or when on holiday in Germany or Belgium; and many of the craft lagers produced by Irish and British craft breweries.

Of course you will drink more of a lighter tasting beer. It is cheaper to buy, it is quicker to drink, like water.

Although I have to say that a very good higher-end lager such as pilsner urquell is also something I can drink a lot of. They should have more high-end lager options in pubs, true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Why do people make statements claiming "craft beer is x, y, or z"?
    Craft beer is not a style.
    Craft beer is heavy, craft beer is light.
    Craft beer is strong in alcohol, craft beer is low in alcohol.
    Craft beer is brilliantly made, craft beer is poor quality.
    Craft beer is dark, it is red, it is pale, it is cloudy, it is clear.
    Craft beer is sweet, craft beer is bitter, craft beer is sour.
    Craft beer is made in traditional styles, craft beer is marshmallow, ice cream, bacon smoothie.
    Arseholes like craft beer, really sound people like craft beer.
    Craft beer is really good value, craft beer is outrageously overpriced.
    People say really uninformed, stupid stuff about craft beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

It's 8:45 a.m I am off sick from work I just read 11 pages of this thread and I've decided I'm going to get some craft beer tonight. Kinnegar I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

It's 8:45 a.m I am off sick from work I just read 11 pages of this thread and I've decided I'm going to get some craft beer tonight. Kinnegar I think.

Not that sick then, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Not that sick then, eh?

Had wisdom teeth pulled! But sure alcohol is a proven painkiller isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Had wisdom teeth pulled! But sure alcohol is a proven painkiller isn't it?

I prescribe a few bottles of kinnegar crossroads for your symptoms

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

machaseh wrote: »
    Of course you will drink more of a lighter tasting beer. It is cheaper to buy, it is quicker to drink, like water.

Although I have to say that a very good higher-end lager such as pilsner urquell is also something I can drink a lot of. They should have more high-end lager options in pubs, true.

What's higher end lager? Don't drink much lager myself these days, must try some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

definitely overpriced in most places. Most spots around the city would charge 5.70-6 quid for a pint of commercial now, not a chance am I paying 50 cent over that for what is probably only marginally better
    If it is overpriced anywhere its the supermakets.
    I can understand going to an offo and paying €1 for a can vs €3.50 for a craft beer but never in a pub..
    I only ever drink "non cheap slab" beers in pubs (if available) since they are so relatively expensive only supermarkets. Last tray of guinness I got was something like 62cent a can due to readily available vouchers.

In pub I am thinking "6euro for a pint of something I get for a euro or less? I think I will spring the extra bit for something else". It pains me seeing people pay 6euro for a miserable bottle of 330ml heineken, sometimes luke warm due to high turnover -when a bottle 500ml bottle of spaten or budvar would have been 50cent more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

listermint wrote: »
    But also our micro breweries do themselves no favours. Many times I've picked up an article about a limited run only to take to the breweries twitter page to ask where I can pick up some and they don't respond whatsoever. They've no grasp on customer service or their distribution

Same has happened to me - asking routine questions on a brewery's Facebook page. They must have the flakiest staff in the world - too cool to respond to a basic enquiry for business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭machaseh

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    What's higher end lager? Don't drink much lager myself these days, must try some.

Well what I mean is actual real lager, not the commercial watered down coors, heineken, buds etc.

So for example

Kozel (czech)
    Pilsner Urquell (czech)
    Various craft beer lagers from craft breweries
    Stiegl (or is that a weizen I forgot now)

etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Rascals have Born Slippy lager which is quite nice.
    Same has happened to me - asking routine questions on a brewery's Facebook page. They must have the flakiest staff in the world - too cool to respond to a basic enquiry for business.

Depending on the brewery, I would think this comes down to resources. In small companies often multiple members of staff have access to social media pages, but no one actually assigned to respond to posts or messages, and then they just slip away. Unless they have a person dedicated to communications (whether as a role itself or an add-on for someone else), it can be seen as an extra time sink they could do without. Of course it's a vitally important link to consumers and potential trade accounts, but it can take a back seat sadly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Pilsner Urquell (czech)
    There was an attempt a couple of years ago to push PU into more mainstream bars but it seems to have failed quickly, presumably because mainstream punters weren't interested. You rarely see it outside the speciality Czech pubs now.
    Stiegl (or is that a weizen I forgot now)
    It's both. Goldbräu is the core Stiegl lager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

CZECH REPUBLIC 4.4% Brewed in Plzen. Fresh, unpasteurised and delivered direct from the brewery in the Czech Republic every single week.

Place in Manchester doing the real stuff that I've being saying I must try for 2 years now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

A couple of Dublin pubs have it on tankovna too, though I've never seen the tapping date written on the supplied blackboards so don't trust them. Tank beer doesn't really work when it's an option: it should be the only beer the pub sells, otherwise it's just a gimmick. Albert's Schloss in Manchester probably gets away with it because it's a barn of a place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

White Hag terrible at responding to such emails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

BeerNut wrote: »
    A couple of Dublin pubs have it on tankovna too, though I've never seen the tapping date written on the supplied blackboards so don't trust them. Tank beer doesn't really work when it's an option: it should be the only beer the pub sells, otherwise it's just a gimmick. Albert's Schloss in Manchester probably gets away with it because it's a barn of a place.

The Bridge beside the RDS were pushing it big when it got bought by a couple of the Leinster players. Dunno how well it sells, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,733 ✭✭✭✭L1011

BeerNut wrote: »

I have seen the date on the blackboard in Lemon & Duke before. Same ownership as The Bridge so it may just be that group doing it; haven't seen it elsewhere yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

Because people like to drink piss. Bud-heilneken-carzberg rubbish that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭nice bit of green

Always found Ireland bland for pub beers but luckily Smithwicks & Guinness never fail.
    Love going for a few beers in the UK for the cask ales, the sheer variety in the pubs is great.
    Western Europe i’ll make do with localbrau.
    The wife is Slovak so am spoilt for choice when we go over.

Advertisement