Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus owes me EUR461.98

Options
  • 30-08-2019 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi all,

I made a refund claim to Aer Lingus which (as stated on their website) would be processed within 7-10 business days. I sent the request using their refund request form (aerlingus [dot] com/support/forms/refund-request-form/) on 9th August.

That was 15 business days ago and so far I've heard nothing from them, and of course not been refunded.

Basically myself and my wife were in Italy and I had originally booked a return flight on 10/08/19, however the day before that we decided we'd like to extend our trip by 2 days. I logged on to AerLingus.com and clicked on the flight in question and clicked "Change your itinerary online". The ticket I purchased did allow me to re-book since I booked in on AerLingus.com and it did adhere to all the rules set out here: aerlingus [dot] com/support/changing-your-booking/

I clicked through to choose another flight on 12/08/19, and found a late flight which suited me perfectly. The cost of the flight was EUR0.00 since it was a re-schedule, but we had to pay EUR40.00 re-scheduling fee for each passenger toitalling EUR80.00.

So I proceeded to the part where I had to enter my credit card details and pay for the flight (I don't keep my CC# on file. Too many data breaches these days), and to my shock, when I clicked "Complete Purchase" it gave me an error message saying "We are experiencing a problem with our system. Please try again. If the error persists, please contact our helpdesk and quote the error number".

First of all, I didn't see any error number. I tried again, double checking the CC# and dates, etc. No joy. I then tried with another CC#. Exact same error.

At this point I tried to contact Aer Lingus's helpdesk. I found the website helpdesk number on their website (aerlingus [dot] com/support/contact-us/#/tab-0-ireland) however to my horror I realized it was a 1980 number (1890 800270), which I could not call from Italy. I did some more Googling and eventually found a Dublin (01) number which got me through to the helpdesk which I could call from Italy. I found this number on some chat forum, and the number is NOT on their website. What a joke.

I rang the number and was immediately put on hold, with no queueing system and thus no idea how long I'd be waiting. Some more quick research with Google told me I'd be likely waiting for up to 3 hours. I decided it was not worth waiting that long. I just got the feeling their customer service would be absolute **** anyway.

So I put down the phone. I still needed to book the flight I wanted (the Monday flight) and I suspected that if I booked it from scratch as a new booking and paid the full whack of EUR541.98 it would go through no problem, and of course I was right. The booking successfully went through and Aer Lingus charged me EUR541.98 for a flight which should have cost me EUR80.00.

So I filled in the refund form on the AerLingus site to explain the story and why they owe me the difference between what I paid and what I should have paid (EUR461.98), due to their mysterious "computer glitch".

I'm not saying Aer Lingus are deliberately leaving these glitches in there so people will be forced to pay more money. All I'm saying is I tried to use their site to legitimately change my flight and because of a bug in their system, I was forced to work around, and now I'm just asking for what I'm owed, due to this work-around.

By not replying to my refund request in the stated time, Aer Lingus have now broken a 2nd promise to me. If somebody from Aer Lingus is reading this, can you please reply to me by private message and look into my case?

FWIW, We were in Italy for my wife's mother's funeral, and it was quite a stressful time for us. We decided to extend the stay be a few days because I wanted to treat her to 2 days in Milan city centre after the funeral to hopefully take her mind off things. I've never had a bad experience flying with Aer Lingus and find their staff to be very friendly and courteous, and they have a very good safety record in the air and long may it continue.

Having said this the fact remains that their site didn't work as advertised and they failed to get back to me. They've not kept their promises to me, the customer. I was over-charged and if an Aer Lingus rep had contacted me on time, I would not be writing this post.

Looking forward from somebody from Aer Lingus to replying and sorting this out for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Had you checked in for your original return flight? I tried to change a flight at the airport once, it was Ryanair rather than Aer Lingue, I got there earlier than expected and could have caught an earlier flight, however, since I was already checked in they wouldn't switch flights and rather wanted me to pay full price on the earlier flight, perhaps it's the same with Aer Lingus.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

They won't reply here. Have you tried to contact them through Facebook messenger?

I've always found them great to deal with there. when I submitted my EU261 compensation with them in the website I got a reply after a day through email.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

I may be wrong but ... If you chose to not stay on the phone to discuss the matter with customer service, how is it aerlingus that are at fault?

If you had stayed on the phone the whole situation could have been resolved.

It was your decision to change your flights, you booked the "full fare" return flights after you decided to not give aerlingus a chance to fix the computer error.

I would agree with you IF you had stayed on the phone call to discuss the matter with customer service, I think you will be very lucky if they decide to give you anything for changing your mind and booking new return flights, it may be that they agree that there is a glitch in their systems or it may be that they take the view that you have caused the error by changing your mind halfway through a stay and also failing to stay on the phone to talk with customer service.

I wish you the best of luck, I do hope you get some assistance from aerlingus - they usually are helpful if they are at fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭noel1980

I may be wrong but ... If you chose to not stay on the phone to discuss the matter with customer service, how is it aerlingus that are at fault?

If you had stayed on the phone the whole situation could have been resolved.

First off, I could not call their official support number from Italy. I was calling an unofficial number which was not announced on their website. I stayed on hold for about 10 minutes maybe, but it was costing me a lot, since I was calling internationally to Dublin. If I waited for 3 hours my phone bill could have been astronomical, possibly more than the cost of the flight. I also didn't have time to wait that long.

Effectively they have no telephone support for their website unless you're in Ireland, because it's a 1890 number.

I also am not on Facebook so I could not use it either. Social Media is not the medium for an airline to conduct customer service either. They did have some chat bot thing on the website though, but it was not helpful.

They also should not be using 1890 premium numbers for their customer support. These numbers are for premium services and Aer Lingus are profiting from putting people on hold for 3 hours because their website doesn't work. It should be illegal to use 1980 numbers for this purpose. They are profiting from having a malfunctioning website!

Even if I had stayed on the phone long enough to get the matter sorted so that I only had to pay 80.00, my phone bill probably would have been so high from being on hold that it would not have been worth it.

Bottom line is Aer Lingus *are* at fault by not allowing me to change my booking as advertised. I did check-in online for the flight, but that doesn't prevent me from changing the booking. It states on their website:

"Changes can be made up to two hours before the scheduled departure time, after which all money associated with the flight (with the exception of Government tax) is forfeited."

This in on www[dot]aerlingus[dot]com/support/changing-your-booking/

I attempted to change the booking the prior day. Furthermore, if my flight was not eligible for change it would have stated it clearly and not let me proceed and show me available flights complete with pricing, etc. It was only at the very end when I was paying my 80 euros that it failed with the error message.

I made screenshots of all the steps including error message, etc.

Their customer service is so bad it is effectively non-existent. If I wasn't lucky enough to find that 01 number on Google I wouldn't have been able to call at all. If they had a queueing system at least I'd know roughly how long I'd be waiting but they don't. I'd expect an airline who has been established for 80 years to at least invest in a queueing system for their telephone support. This is the least I'd expect from a so-called reputable airline.

Aer Lingus are an airline who fly internationally to many different countries yet their website support # only allows calls from Ireland. Come on.

Anyway I'm going to attempt to contact them and lodge an official complaint. I realise Aer Lingus probably won't contact me through boards.ie. If I don't get my money I'm taking the matter to court.

P.s. Sorry if I sound like I'm angry and ranting and raving. It's just frustrating when you have to pay 461.98 more than you should because of some silly website bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Aer Lingus have an easily found normal number - while you were googling wait times maybe you could have googled it. In fact it's the first result
    Ten mins waiting on a call to customer service and giving up - really?

Time to move on - you will not get a refund as you did not give them any chance to rectify the situation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

From the Aer Lingus web pages contact us

Italy

+39 06 89 38 65 02
    Mon-Fri 09:00-17:00

fritzelly wrote: »
    Aer Lingus have an easily found normal number - while you were googling wait times maybe you could have googled it. In fact it's the first result
    Ten mins waiting on a call to customer service and giving up - really?

Time to move on - you will not get a refund as you did not give them any chance to rectify the situation

Nope. Go to their official site and click "Contact Us". It's 1890 numbers galore!

This is their official contacts page and all the numbers are only accessible from Ireland.

Spook_ie wrote: »
    From the Aer Lingus web pages contact us

Italy

+39 06 89 38 65 02
    Mon-Fri 09:00-17:00

If only he'd asked before booking new flights...free call and all that (assuming call package)...

noel1980 wrote: »
    Nope. Go to their official site and click "Contact Us". It's 1890 numbers galore!

This is their official contacts page and all the numbers are only accessible from Ireland.

Maybe you should have clicked the big icon saying Europe???

https://www.aerlingus.com/support/contact-us/#/tab-2-europe

fritzelly wrote: »
    Maybe you should have clicked the big icon saying Europe???

Sorry, in fairness I didn't see the big icon. :)

• Advertisement

I called the website customer support # and explained the situation. Actually got through immediately.

They gave me a case # and said they'd prioritize the case. Lets see.

I called the website customer support # and explained the situation. Actually got through immediately.

They gave me a case # and said they'd prioritize the case. Lets see.

Good luck but don't hold out too much hope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

I also am not on Facebook so I could not use it either. Social Media is not the medium for an airline to conduct customer service either.

Wha? Says who? You must be living under a rock because it's fast becoming THE place to go for support
    Looking forward from somebody from Aer Lingus to replying and sorting this out for me.

Boards is also social media

They also should not be using 1890 premium numbers for their customer support.

These numbers are for premium services and Aer Lingus are profiting from putting people on hold for 3 hours because their website doesn't work. It should be illegal to use 1980 numbers for this purpose. They are profiting from having a malfunctioning website!

100% agree but as mentioned here, the Dublin 01 number is listed under Europe. Even in ireland you should be using this number

Also, your mobile operator unless your on some obsolete plan should be giving you unlimited calls and texts in Europe so this dublin number would cost nothing from Ireland or Italy

About aer lingus profiting from 1890, they don't. Your operator does but as mentioned, a little effort can avoid 1890 rates

Best of luck with your refund but you have a hard sell here. Screenshots thankfully will help you a lot in your case!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They owe you nothing , you decided to book a different flight.

They have an Italian number on their site

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

It’s all if and buts from the OP.

You decided to make an assumption about a 3 hour wait ... you have made an expensive mistake for not having the patience to let Aer Lingus look in to it for you.

I’d say there isn’t a hope in hell you’ll get any sore of refund

ted1 wrote: »
    They owe you nothing , you decided to book a different flight.

They have an Italian number on their site

I know. I didn't spot that at the time. I must be blind.

I realize that I probably don't have much hope, but still the fact remains I was denied the service and price I was entitled to due to a fault in their website.

If a company is incentivized to leave a glitch in their system if that glitch leads to the consumer paying a higher price it's well... not good. I'm not saying they're guilty of this; I'm sure it was an honest mistake and it's been fixed by now.

Just saying.

Wha? Says who? You must be living under a rock because it's fast becoming THE place to go for support

Boards is also social media

100% agree but as mentioned here, the Dublin 01 number is listed under Europe. Even in ireland you should be using this number

Also, your mobile operator unless your on some obsolete plan should be giving you unlimited calls and texts in Europe so this dublin number would cost nothing from Ireland or Italy

About aer lingus profiting from 1890, they don't. Your operator does but as mentioned, a little effort can avoid 1890 rates

Best of luck with your refund but you have a hard sell here. Screenshots thankfully will help you a lot in your case!

Sorry, I think I should retract this statement then. If they do not profit from 1890 numbers. I may be thinking of 1850. My bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I deal with customers every single day in work who refuse to read basic instructions and I too get the brunt of it. (Lucky I do not have to take the ****e they spout) I feel for Aerlingus . I wouldn't hold out too much hope on a refund OP, but please update us

michellie wrote: »
    I deal with customers every single day in work who refuse to read basic instructions and I too get the brunt of it. (Lucky I do not have to take the ****e they spout) I feel for Aerlingus . I wouldn't hold out too much hope on a refund OP, but please update us

Just a quick update.

Nothing from AL so far. Not even an email. I don't know if my refund request has been rejected or not processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Just a quick update.

Nothing from AL so far. Not even an email. I don't know if my refund request has been rejected or not processed.

Give it up, you wont get anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

About your point that calling the "unofficial" number costing a fortune.. Nope. Italy is in the EU so phonecalls cost the same as in ireland.

If you deprived someone of a ticket i wouldn't hold out hope you'll be refunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

Any update OP? I'm really curious what Aer Lingus said to your claim. On one hand I agree with people here saying that you're not entitled to any money back, on the other hand I know that AL like to help out their customers, so there's a bit of hope there.

Still no reply from them.

They could at least indicate that they looked into it, as was promised by their Indian customer support. She said they would prioritize the case (or something along those lines).. I'm not sure if they looked into it and it's a no, or they haven't looked into it yet.

It's not good communication to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Aer Lingus customer support is run from Dublin or New York

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

I'd maybe fill out this form if you have the necessary details: https://www.aerlingus.com/support/forms/case-update/

Or call them. It's up to them to make a decision but you are entitled to know what the decision is.

Aer Lingus customer support is run from Dublin or New York

The rep. I spoke to sounded very Indian. I just assumed they outsource their CS to an Indian call center, like a lot of companies nowadays.

In any case, I plan on calling them soon so I can find out the progress of my case. I'll be sure to ask them where they are based, and let you know;)

For anybody who's interested, I'm just after calling the CS number, quoted the case # and the guy assured me that I'd get an email by tomorrow.

FYI, Gwen Cooper: Their CS is based in Manilla, Phillipines.

I've recorded all my calls so far. If I don't at least get an email I'm thinking of taking it to small-claims court. It's only 25 euro. Nothing much to lose

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Lance-kun

Did you ask their permission if you could record them before starting your conversation with them? If not it can't be used for anything.

Realistically they may not refund you anything. There were other avenues you could have used to resolve the issue that you didn't take so they could possibly use that as an excuse. If they had no other means of contact or way to change a booking I would be in full agreement with you tbh.

Lance-kun wrote: »
    Did you ask their permission if you could record them before starting your conversation with them? If not it can't be used for anything.

Should check the law about that

Re small claims court, unlikely to win as you didn't engage with them so probably rejected at the first stage

• Advertisement

Lance-kun wrote: »

Realistically they may not refund you anything. There were other avenues you could have used to resolve the issue that you didn't take so they could possibly use that as an excuse. If they had no other means of contact or way to change a booking I would be in full agreement with you tbh.

I'm not too bothered by the money, tbh. I'm more just pissed off with the empty promises. "We'll contact you in 5 business days"... "We'll prioritize your case"... blah blah blah. Empty promises.

I'm interested in seeing if this email arrives tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it doesn't arrive. Hell, I'd be satisfied if they sent me an email simply saying "We've looked into your case and found that you are not entitled to a refund".

Advertisement